Older Macs can use LG UltraFine 5K Display at lower resolutions with adapter

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited December 2016
In support documents for the forthcoming LG UltraFine 5K Display published Tuesday, Apple notes older Mac models, including 2013's Mac Pro, can be used at 4K and lower resolutions when connected via a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

As noted in Apple's Support Pages document, LG's new display can only hit 5K resolutions with Thunderbolt 3-equipped computers running macOS Sierra 10.12.1 or later. For now, the requirement means Apple hardware compatibility stops at the recently released MacBook Pro models.

Owners of earlier Mac models who want access to the expansive screen real estate provided by LG's 27-inch monitor will have to settle for lower resolutions, specifically 3,840-by-2,160 pixels at 60Hz. Adding insult to injury, customers with older Macs also have to buy a $30 Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and a Thunderbolt cable of their choosing.

Macs that require Apple's Thunderbolt adapter solution include:
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) and later
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2014) and later
  • iMac (Retina, 27-inch, Late 2014) and later
  • iMac (Retina, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
  • iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)
  • MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
  • MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2015)
Separately, owners of Apple's Late-2014 Mac mini can drive the 5K LG display at 3,200-by-1,800 pixels at 60Hz using the same setup.

The low-resolution display option appears to be built into macOS, as Apple notes the monitor might not function until macOS is booted when connected to a Mac Pro or Mac mini. In such cases pre-boot features like Boot Picker and Recovery may not show up on the display, rendering those services useless. As such, the company recommends Mac Pro and Mac mini owners relegate the LG UltraFine 5K to secondary monitor tasks.

Announced in October, LG's UltraFine 5K Display was developed in partnership with Apple to accompany the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. The monitor went up for order through Apple's online store for a brief period in November before being pulled. With initial availability slated for December, it was just today that Apple began accepting orders in earnest, with the first units due to arrive on Dec. 27 or 28.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    It's hardly "adding insult to injury" - a person who can't run this screen at native resolution would simply buy a different, cheaper screen. This has nothing to do with the slow pace of apple desktop upgrades: This screen needs Thunderbolt3 and that wasn't going to come any quicker than it has now - if apple made a 2014 or 2015 Mac Pro it would still not have the necessary hardware to run this screen.
    edited December 2016 StrangeDaysSolibestkeptsecretmike1
  • Reply 2 of 10
    This is hardly unprecedented; when the 30" Cinema Display launched only a Power Mac G5 with an upgraded GPU could drive it. Apple updated the PowerBooks to support it shortly after. 
    EsquireCatsmike1
  • Reply 3 of 10
    As a FYI macs I've tested dating as far back to an early 2009 c2d mini can run 4k @ 30Hz on an inexpensive generic LG 27" 4K and the massive Philips 43" 4K display via Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort - a pleasant surprise... So if Apple has intimated they are getting out of the monitor business, and the Airport team relocated, might they finally be entering the TV business...?
    edited December 2016 EsquireCats
  • Reply 4 of 10
    It's hardly "adding insult to injury" - a person who can't run this screen at native resolution would simply buy a different, cheaper screen. This has nothing to do with the slow pace of apple desktop upgrades: This screen needs Thunderbolt3 and that wasn't going to come any quicker than it has now - if apple made a 2014 or 2015 Mac Pro it would still not have the necessary hardware to run this screen.
    Actually, this screen needed DisplayPort 1.4 and Apple needed to drop Thunderbolt 3 in favor of it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Actually, this screen needed DisplayPort 1.4 and Apple needed to drop Thunderbolt 3 in favor of it.
    Displayport 1.3 supports 5K at 60Hz. I'm pretty sure you meant that. 1.4 was only recently published.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    That answers a lot of questions that have been floating around on the Apple forums since the 5K monitor was announced back in October.

blastdoor
  • Reply 7 of 10
    And if my grandmother had wheels she would be a wagon....
    macxpressmike1boltsfan17
  • Reply 8 of 10
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Does anybody know if I'd be able to run the 4K 21.5 inch version of this monitor on a late 2014 Mac Mini at 1600x900 and have the screen look crisp? I've been specifically looking for a 21 or 21.5 inch 1600x900 native monitor, but I can't find one. But a 4K monitor should be able to run that resolution and still look sharp, as opposed to a standard monitor downscaled to that resolution, which looks kind of fuzzy.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    Pay extra for this brand spankin' new 5K display so you can use it at an amazing 4K!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    CDBayyCDBayy Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Does anyone know if the LG 5k display will work with my mid-2012 MacBook Air 11-inch?  It has 2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB.

Thanks!

CDB