Apple Music execs Iovine & Jackson go on defense about Frank Ocean, Kanye West

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple Music executives Jimmy Iovine and Larry Jackson adopted a defensive tone in parts of an interview published on Thursday, working to explain things like the fallout of a Frank Ocean deal, and why Kanye West's "The Life of Pablo" became a short-term Tidal exclusive.

"We had a deal -- we were working with Frank Ocean, and he controlled where his music came out," Iovine said in talking to the New York Times. "Why would it be in our interest to be part of a fast one, a slow one or any one? We were getting the record no matter what. Whatever happened with him and Universal is really between him and Universal. It has nothing to do with us. Nothing."

Earlier this year Ocean released a visual album, "Endless," to fulfill a contract with Universal label Def Jam, but then almost immediately released the more monetizable "Blonde" under his own label as a temporary Apple Music exclusive. Universal's CEO ordered a broad moratorium on exclusives in response.

On West, Jackson said the rapper is a "good friend" of his, someone he'll always work with. "Jimmy and I went to the studio two times to hear the album ['Pablo'] and give feedback, not for any reason other than we love him as an artist and we just wanted to help," he commented.

Iovine remarked that West "was part of Jay's thing and chose to make a deal with his friend, and I respect that," referring to West and Jay Z's co-ownership of Tidal. "I kind of felt like it was going to happen before it did. Jay Z and Kanye --- that's a very natural thing for them to work together. Everybody moves on. You try to do the best with what you've got and ignore everything else. That's why horses get blinders in horse racing: You look at the horse next to you, and you lose a step."

West once infamously promised that "The Life of Pablo" would never appear on Apple platforms, and for some time Tidal was the only way to hear the album digitally in its entirety. He eventually relented though, and the album can now be heard on Apple Music, Spotify, and elsewhere.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Neither of these rappers(?) are great IN MY OPINION. I don't see what the big deal is.
    lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cali said:
    Neither of these rappers(?) are great IN MY OPINION. I don't see what the big deal is.
    The big deal is artists hold a lot of people's attention and sometimes build billion dollar brands. Better to work with them and not against them... or not at all. 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Kanye West is huge idiot and I can only assume he continues to make headlines because he is a walking talking train wreck.
    robin hubertomkarlfotoformat1983kamilton
  • Reply 4 of 10
    What happens when an a-hole with a mental illness gets "cured"? You get an a-hole without a mental illness. Apple should dump West and his trashy Klan.
    SpamSandwichtomkarl1983
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I saw this on Twitter:

If you follow @mobile_reach Twitter account he claims Apple way overpaid for Beats and didn't work with a bank to validate. He also says Apple didn't get the rates they wanted on the streaming music service and that Beats 1 is in the red. Also according to 9to5Mac the design firm that Beats used for their headphones are still still designing new products, they're not coming from Apple's in house design and engineering teams.

I was never a fan of the Beats acquisition and nothing since the acquisition has made me change my mind. Look at Apple Music and you see very little of the original Beats Music app there. Apple did not need a headphone company and they didn't need to spend $3B to get a streaming service going. If Beats was Apple's entry into the headphone market why do AirPods exist? Why don't we have Siri enabled wireless headphones under the Beats brand? Why aren't cheap(er) Beats branded headphones included in the iPhone box? And why is a 3rd party design firm still involved in Beats headphone design? Everything about this acquisition screams disaster. Was Jimmy Iovine really worth $3B? I think not.
    anantksundaramlolliver1983calistevenoz
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Actually, yes, Iovine & Dre were worth the $3 billion. Apple didn't buy Beats for the headphones or streaming technology.

They bought it for their access to the music industry. Who else would give you a foothold into the music industry when you're looking to build your own music streaming service? There's not many other power players that would. 
    edited December 2016 anantksundaramlollivercali
  • Reply 7 of 10
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I saw this on Twitter:

If you follow @mobile_reach Twitter account he claims Apple way overpaid for Beats and didn't work with a bank to validate. He also says Apple didn't get the rates they wanted on the streaming music service and that Beats 1 is in the red. Also according to 9to5Mac the design firm that Beats used for their headphones are still still designing new products, they're not coming from Apple's in house design and engineering teams.

I was never a fan of the Beats acquisition and nothing since the acquisition has made me change my mind. Look at Apple Music and you see very little of the original Beats Music app there. Apple did not need a headphone company and they didn't need to spend $3B to get a streaming service going. If Beats was Apple's entry into the headphone market why do AirPods exist? Why don't we have Siri enabled wireless headphones under the Beats brand? Why aren't cheap(er) Beats branded headphones included in the iPhone box? And why is a 3rd party design firm still involved in Beats headphone design? Everything about this acquisition screams disaster. Was Jimmy Iovine really worth $3B? I think not.
    If Beats headphones had to go through Cook&Jony Ive we would still be waiting for the iPhone7 to get here.

lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 10
    LOL. Kanye West did not "eventually" make his music available outside of Tidal. It was near IMMEDIATE. 

Because, in spite of how much money and push these folks put into it, Tidal plain sucks. 

Kanye needs more money to keep his wife happy and decides to use common sense = Apple. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 9 of 10
    supersalo said:
    Actually, yes, Iovine & Dre were worth the $3 billion. Apple didn't buy Beats for the headphones or streaming technology.

They bought it for their access to the music industry. Who else would give you a foothold into the music industry when you're looking to build your own music streaming service? There's not many other power players that would. 
    Apple didn't already have a foothold in the industry with iTunes? Give me one example where Iovine & Dre have proven they're worth $3B? Exclusives that everybody hates? I'm sure Iovine did one hell of a snow job. The sad thing is that Eddy and Tim bought it. No way was Beats worth $3B. Nest wasn't worth that either.
    edited December 2016 cali
  • Reply 10 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I saw this on Twitter:

"I'm not sure ben"
    lol
    No mention of Motorola, Nokia etc.

Beats already made Apple their $3B back. The new Beats wireless headphones are selling like MAD. I mean iPhone numbers mad.

Nothing wrong with Beats still designing their own products. They're industry leaders. I swear it's a Beats employee at the helm(who was an ex-Apple designer). Although I would love to have Apple make their designs sturdier.

Apple Music is getting bigger.

I'm not a Beats headphone fan either but all this "doom" is ridiculous. Samsung/others would have paid $6B to have their crap headphones as popular.
    stantheman