Rumored 'Jet White' iPhone 7 mockup shown off in video

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2016
A video posted to the web on Tuesday shows off glossy white iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus casing mockups, offering a sneak peek at what an official "Jet White" version of the flagship smartphone might resemble.




Posted to Twitter by avid Apple leaker Sonny Dickson on Tuesday, the glossy white casings appear to be custom housings sourced from a third-party vendor, likely snapped up on Alibaba or a similar Asian marketplace.

While both are nearly identical in design to Apple's iPhone 7 series, there are key differences that strongly suggest the casings are mockups and not original hardware. For example, the smaller iPhone 7 model lacks the appropriate Apple logo cutout into which is fitted radio-transparent material.

Less noticeable, but equally important in identifying a fake, is the finish. Both housings in today's video have an eggshell texture that implies the white color was painted or otherwise applied after initial manufacture. By comparison, Apple's Jet Black iPhone achieves its high-gloss finish through a labor-intensive process involving rotational 3D polishing, anodization and an iron particle bath.

Could this be the Jet White iPhone 7? pic.twitter.com/pHoDiZ63ON

-- Sonny Dickson (@SonnyDickson)


Though likely aftermarket parts, the cases offer a glimpse at a supposed "Jet White" iPhone 7 model promised by rumors in November. At the time, sources within Apple's supply chain told Mac Otakara the company was mulling the release of glossy white iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus variants to go along with popular Jet Black models.

No time window was assigned to the questionable rumor, and the website itself noted the information might be unreliable.

Apple introduced the Jet Black iPhone 7 alongside a matte black version in September. With initially limited availability, the glossy option was a hot ticket item and quickly sold out within hours of launch.

There have been no further signs of a "Jet White" iPhone launch beyond the November rumblings. That said, it is at least plausible that Apple might debut a glossy white iPhone next year. As is well known, the first iPods were white before Apple decided to add black, and subsequently a range of colors in anodized aluminum, to the lineup. The same can be said of iPhone, which started out in raw aluminum, then black and white polycarbonate, and now Jet Black, matte black, gold, rose gold and silver aluminum.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 21
    Possible, but unlikely. 
  • Reply 2 of 21
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,107member
    I would prefer my AirPods in Jet Black...
    calianthony patton1983
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I can see it. "Ceramic white." Goes along with the actual ceramic used on Apple Watch. 

    Pereonally it it looks a bit "Storm Trooper white" to my eyes. But it looks very nice. Apple has been away from white for long enough now that it will feel fresh again. 

    And for the people who enjoy the white faceplate, an all white phone would look much better. 
    macgui
  • Reply 4 of 21
    larryalarrya Posts: 538member
    "Jet white" makes about as much sense as "mid-end". 
  • Reply 5 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,546member
    larrya said:
    "Jet white" makes about as much sense as "mid-end". 
    I agree that its not a great name, and that's silly if one is using jet to seriously refer to it in the same manner as jet black, or the color lignite; but if they are using it as a joke or being clever to refer to it with one of the many other definitions for jet, then I'm on board. That said, my favorite name from this forum is vanna white.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,647member
    Apparently white is making a comeback. 
  • Reply 7 of 21
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    Would have sold crazy during Christmas. 
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Yeah, "jet" is a form (shade) of black. Generally referring to 'blackest black" (though there is nothing blacker than just "black")
    As for white; there is nothing whiter than just "white", but "snow white" would probably be the equivalent descriptor to "jet black".
    Could also just call them "ultra-white" and "ultra-black".
  • Reply 9 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,546member
    Mikeymike said:
    Yeah, "jet" is a form (shade) of black. Generally referring to 'blackest black" (though there is nothing blacker than just "black")
    As for white; there is nothing whiter than just "white", but "snow white" would probably be the equivalent descriptor to "jet black".
    Could also just call them "ultra-white" and "ultra-black".
    1) As previously noted, jet refers to lignite.

    2) Black is a general term and there absolutely categories of black that are blacker—to wit, they reflect less light. Vantablack is the currently the blackest substance known to man.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I'm obviously speculating, but what if, after the SE last year, Apple decided to release something mid-cycle to create a spike in sales every year? So in 2017, we get the White iPhone!
  • Reply 11 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,546member
    I'm obviously speculating, but what if, after the SE last year, Apple decided to release something mid-cycle to create a spike in sales every year? So in 2017, we get the White iPhone!
    I wish Apple would release new products every quarter. While it effectively would cost the customer the same to buy new Apple product categories annually or biennial, if I've just spent $800 on a new iPhone, I'm not likely to also plop down money for a new iPad, Mac, Watch, etc. I'm sure there's a psychological aspect to the "newness" factor of a new device, but that wears off over time, so if they offered different product categories during different seasons I think I'd end up spending more money on Apple products than I do now.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,580member
    Should be frozen white, like the Ford Car colour. 
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Soli said:
    larrya said:
    "Jet white" makes about as much sense as "mid-end". 
    I agree that its not a great name, and that's silly if one is using jet to seriously refer to it in the same manner as jet black, or the color lignite; but if they are using it as a joke or being clever to refer to it with one of the many other definitions for jet, then I'm on board. That said, my favorite name from this forum is vanna white.
    Yeah... vanna white -- with no VPL... er, ah Visable Antenna Lines.

    StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Nothing like 'rumored mockups'.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Soli said:
    Mikeymike said:
    Yeah, "jet" is a form (shade) of black. Generally referring to 'blackest black" (though there is nothing blacker than just "black")
    As for white; there is nothing whiter than just "white", but "snow white" would probably be the equivalent descriptor to "jet black".
    Could also just call them "ultra-white" and "ultra-black".
    1) As previously noted, jet refers to lignite.

    2) Black is a general term and there absolutely categories of black that are blacker—to wit, they reflect less light. Vantablack is the currently the blackest substance known to man.
    Just because 'noted' doesn't make it correct.

    Lignite is not black in color. Jet, on the other hand, is black in color. (it is what is referred to in the term "jet black".
    Vantablack is not a color. It is a substance. It's color is "black". Just black.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Both housings in today's video have an eggshell texture that implies the white color was painted

    ...wow, i just watched the video on twitter and it was so low quality i couldn't make out any details, let only paint finish texture. 
  • Reply 17 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,546member
    Mikeymike said:
    Soli said:
    Mikeymike said:
    Yeah, "jet" is a form (shade) of black. Generally referring to 'blackest black" (though there is nothing blacker than just "black")
    As for white; there is nothing whiter than just "white", but "snow white" would probably be the equivalent descriptor to "jet black".
    Could also just call them "ultra-white" and "ultra-black".
    1) As previously noted, jet refers to lignite.

    2) Black is a general term and there absolutely categories of black that are blacker—to wit, they reflect less light. Vantablack is the currently the blackest substance known to man.
    Just because 'noted' doesn't make it correct.

    Lignite is not black in color. Jet, on the other hand, is black in color. (it is what is referred to in the term "jet black".
    Vantablack is not a color. It is a substance. It's color is "black". Just black.
    1) No. The color jet is a representation of the color of the mineraloid jet, hence the name jet black. 


    2) No. I never said that Vantablack was a color. I referred to it as a substance in my statement "Vantablack is the currently the blackest substance known to man." I also included italics hoping that people like you would read more clearly when you read it, but you didn't as you then parroted back to me "it is a substance." Good job¡
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Soli said:
    Mikeymike said:
    Soli said:
    Mikeymike said:
    Yeah, "jet" is a form (shade) of black. Generally referring to 'blackest black" (though there is nothing blacker than just "black")
    As for white; there is nothing whiter than just "white", but "snow white" would probably be the equivalent descriptor to "jet black".
    Could also just call them "ultra-white" and "ultra-black".
    1) As previously noted, jet refers to lignite.

    2) Black is a general term and there absolutely categories of black that are blacker—to wit, they reflect less light. Vantablack is the currently the blackest substance known to man.
    Just because 'noted' doesn't make it correct.

    Lignite is not black in color. Jet, on the other hand, is black in color. (it is what is referred to in the term "jet black".
    Vantablack is not a color. It is a substance. It's color is "black". Just black.
    1) No. The color jet is a representation of the color of the mineraloid jet, hence the name jet black. 


    2) No. I never said that Vantablack was a color. I referred to it as a substance in my statement "Vantablack is the currently the blackest substance known to man." I also included italics hoping that people like you would read more clearly when you read it, but you didn't as you then parroted back to me "it is a substance." Good job¡
    1) Yeah, that's what i just said.
    2) Yeah, the color of the "blackest substance known to man" is...       black.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    19831983 Posts: 1,153member
    I like the idea of a glossy white iPhone, less prone to showing fingerprints as readily as Jet black and probably micro-scratches too. As the white would be closer in tone to the aluminum underneath.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    macguimacgui Posts: 1,109member
    1983 said:
    I like the idea of a glossy white iPhone, less prone to showing fingerprints as readily as Jet black and probably micro-scratches too. As the white would be closer in tone to the aluminum underneath.
    "As the white would be closer in tone to the aluminum underneath." I don't know what that last bit has to do with the rest, when speaking of micro-scratches. If they were truly micro, we'd never see what's underneath, even if it were flamingo pink.

    But I agree with the previous, 100%. I've never liked the white face of the gold and silver iPhones, but I might, with a white case. Speaking of which, if there are shades of black, why not shades of white. I like the idea of an Arctic White iPhone, similar to 'refrigerator white' but with more dignity. It might not happen, but I don't doubt there will be a white iPhone to match the Ceramic Watch. I'd buy that for a dollar!

    'Eggshell finish' screams Krylon and click-bait.
Sign In or Register to comment.