USA Technologies adding Apple Pay to more than 300,000 self-service machines across US

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Cashless and mobile transaction company USA Technologies has announced it plans to integrate its MORE loyalty and payroll deduction payment platform with Apple Pay, allowing users of the service to ultimately pay at more than 300,000 self-service machines and other venues across the U.S.

As a result of the integration, consumers making a purchase will be able to take advantage of exclusive offers, promotions and discounts offered by vendors toward future purchases at participating self-serve machines using USA Technologies' ePort Connect.

Compatible vending machines and self-pay locations will receive a firmware update to promote Apple Pay, and make it clear when the Apple Watch or iPhone needs to be presented to make the transaction.

As part of the expansion, USA Technologies is working with Urban Airship to facilitate the hand-off of MORE loyalty card information to vendors, and to target promotions. USA Technologies plans to roll out the technology to select unattended retail locations nationwide over the coming months.

USA Technologies supplies the arcade, car wash, laundry, taxi, and vending industries. Some hospitals implement the service at cafeterias as well.

On Tuesday, Apple added 17 more banks and institutions to the Apple Pay service. More than 1660 card issuers now participate in Apple Pay.

Apple has recently reached an agreement with Square in December to integrate Apple Pay with the Square Cash "virtual debit card" system.

International expansion for Apple Pay includes recent service additions in Russia, Australia, China and Singapore.

Last month, Apple Pay chief Jennifer Bailey said 35 percent of U.S. retailers, around 4 million locations, now accept the touchless payments product. Looking to 2017, Bailey expects Apple Pay availability in two out of every three stores as more major retailers adopt the payment method.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Love Apple pay.  Nobody ever says how really innovative it is.  It has changed the way I pay for things and I don't really worry about cash or my wallet any more.
    StrangeDaysjbdragonlostkiwiGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I cannot wait for full adoption of Apple Pay. The reluctance is everyone wants their cut of it or the data and it slows progress. Were it is accepted it is awesome.
    jbdragonlostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Used it to buy eye drops today. Left wallet at home and only realised when I reached the checkout. Luckily, I was wearing my Apple Watch. 
    StrangeDaysslprescottjbdragonchromoslostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Love Apple pay.  Nobody ever says how really innovative it is.  It has changed the way I pay for things and I don't really worry about cash or my wallet any more.
    Agreed, although I've found some inconsistencies.

1. A few places I go have no advertisement either in-store or on their terminals that they accept Apple Pay, yet Apple Pay works.
    2. A few places I go clearly display the Apple Pay logo on their terminals, but the feature isn't enabled or doesn't work.
    3. I have to make a conscious effort to use Apple Pay. My default behavior is still to pull out my credit card and swipe/insert it and it probably will continue to be until/unless there are more places that accept Apple Pay than those who don't.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    300,000 cash dispensers should definitely push ApplePay forward.

More websites need to use it.  Entering information on different unsecured websites must to be stopped.
    Amazon, Ebay and Walmart need to also get with the program.  Purchasers need to send them a message.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 6 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Used it to buy eye drops today. Left wallet at home and only realised when I reached the checkout. Luckily, I was wearing my Apple Watch. 
    Maybe others won't, but I would love the day where I don't need to carry around a wallet anymore. All payments done with ApplePay. License is attached to my phone secured with a thumbprint (or something else), insurance cards all electronic on my phone, etc, etc. I never carry cash anymore and if there's a place that doesn't accept cards well then you don't get my business. I'm to going to cater to a cheap-ass business that doesn't want to move into the 21st century with technology to save a couple pennies per transaction. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    #1 is normal -- it's just NFC tap to pay, and it needn't be AP specifically. that's why so many of the cheap POS terminals work with AP. 

ive had #2 happen at one vendor. i suspect they were doing something incorrectly. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Don't worry. Somewhere, a traffic-starved tech website is working on creating a story that follows this clickbait headline: 

"Apple Pay Adoption Not As Fast As Investors Would Like" 
    jbdragonlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Maybe others won't, but I would love the day where I don't need to carry around a wallet anymore. All payments done with ApplePay. License is attached to my phone secured with a thumbprint (or something else), insurance cards all electronic on my phone, etc, etc. I never carry cash anymore and if there's a place that doesn't accept cards well then you don't get my business. I'm to going to cater to a cheap-ass business that doesn't want to move into the 21st century with technology to save a couple pennies per transaction. 
    Agree except for the part about license and insurance card. Hate to have to give my phone to the officer at a traffic stop.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    zroger73 said:
    Agreed, although I've found some inconsistencies.

1. A few places I go have no advertisement either in-store or on their terminals that they accept Apple Pay, yet Apple Pay works.
    2. A few places I go clearly display the Apple Pay logo on their terminals, but the feature isn't enabled or doesn't work.
    3. I have to make a conscious effort to use Apple Pay. My default behavior is still to pull out my credit card and swipe/insert it and it probably will continue to be until/unless there are more places that accept Apple Pay than those who don't.
    So, how's this for an ass-backward story. Over the holidays, I went to the local Rite Aid to pick up some gift cards. When I tried to pay using Apple Pay, I was told that you can't do that for gift cards. So, I get out my debit card (the same card that would have been charged with a tap) and go to insert it in the time suck known as the chip reader and then the cashier said that debit cards had to be swiped. So, in order to deter gift card fraud, I couldn't use the most secure option, but had to use the least. If I hadn't already wasted so much time on the checkout line, I would have walked out.
    edited January 2017 stompyGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    mike1 said:
    macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Agree except for the part about license and insurance card. Hate to have to give my phone to the officer at a traffic stop.
    One would assume if all licenses and insurance cards were electronic (especially if mandated by law) there would be a way to securely transfer this information rather than physically giving the device out to an officer. Yes, a lot of red tape here, but something can be figured out. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    macxpress said:
    mike1 said:
    macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    One would assume if all licenses and insurance cards were electronic (especially if mandated by law) there would be a way to securely transfer this information rather than physically giving the device out to an officer. Yes, a lot of red tape here, but something can be figured out. 
    Until that time, I'd be happy to carry nothing but my phone in one of those cases that can also hold a couple of pieces of paper. Still 100% better than needing a wallet.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    The I have with the license on your phone is, what do you do when you get pulled over and they the police ask for your license?. Hand them your now unlocked phone where while sitting in their police car, they're snooping through your phone including any pictures you may have, other personal data. You have it to them in your own free will and unlocked.  Now they have every right!!! 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 22
    jbdragon said:
    macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    The I have with the license on your phone is, what do you do when you get pulled over and they the police ask for your license?. Hand them your now unlocked phone where while sitting in their police car, they're snooping through your phone including any pictures you may have, other personal data. You have it to them in your own free will and unlocked.  Now they have every right!!! 
    AirDrop it to them. ;)

Why not make the license viewable while the phone is locked, like Medical ID info?
    edited January 2017 lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Wish I could use it at any ATM. Would eliminate the possibility of any skimmers from interfering with what should be a fast and secure transaction.
    jSnively
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I cannot wait for full adoption of Apple Pay. The reluctance is everyone wants their cut of it or the data and it slows progress. Were it is accepted it is awesome.
    65% adoption by end of 2017.
    95% adoption by end of 2020.

Apple Pay becomes first mobile credit card in 2025 without the operating costs associated with Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Amex, etc.

Merchants flock to new "card" for security and reduced fees.  Apple begins earning 1% per month on its cash vs current 2% per year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22

Apple Pay becomes first mobile credit card in 2025 without the operating costs associated with Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Amex, etc.

Merchants flock to new "card" for security and reduced fees.  Apple begins earning 1% per month on its cash vs current 2% per year.
    2021:  AppleBank is established.
  • Reply 18 of 22

I would like to think a apple credit card of some type is in the works.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    jbdragon said:
    macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    AirDrop it to them. ;)

Why not make the license viewable while the phone is locked, like Medical ID info?
    Mmmm.  I don't even hand over my phone to people I know. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22

2021:  AppleBank is established.
    With at least one branch in every major city.