Big, Bad Mojo!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
(Not sure if this belongs in hardware or software, so posting in general)

Last night (1 AM) I was workin hard on a deadline (today) on my iMacG4/800. I'm working in Mac OS X (10.2.1), but are having some print problems and desides to boot in OS 9.2.2 to find out what's happening. I haven't made any backup this week - been to busy. Here's what happened:

-Open system prefs, change start disk,

-restart,

-blinking ?

-start up in OS9 disk, tells me HD (with all my work on it) is corrupt, asks if I want to initialize!!!

-My face = :eek: :confused:

-Find DiskWarrior CD, try to boot up, fails.

-thinking

-Connecting external FireWire HD

-boot up from system 9 cd again, install system on FireWireHD

-start up from firewire, open diskwarrior (3 AM by now)

-takes ages (166000 files)

-need big drink

-still waiting for DiskWarrior

-Fixed! (4:30 AM)

Point No.1: Go buy DiskWarrior, not tomorrow, TODAY!

Point No.2: Why the f*ck did my mac mess up like that??!!!! (havent' installed anything or played with the system since last I started in 9)

Point No.3: I'm buying a PC....nah, skip point No.3 but still, something like this shouldn't happen...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    What kind of printing errors were you have in OS X?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    see, the good thing is that you only spent 3.5 hours fixing your mac. 3.5 hours and everything is fine again.

On a PC, your nightmare could've stretched into days...

:cool:
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Congrats on the fix. Something similar happened to me--HD became unrecogizable and refused to mount without warning. I was running OS 9.04 at the time, and was able to repair it with a combination of Disk First Aid and TechTool. I probably could have done it with just DiskWarrior, but TechTool was all I had at the time.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Kecksy:

<strong>What kind of printing errors were you have in OS X?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I found out that there wasn't really a problem after all, it just happened that the page setup in Logic Audio somehow had been set to scale 3500% (I didn't notice that right away) and that somehow screwed the layout inside the program itself as well (it disn't scale, instead it showed a lot of strange artifacts and distortion, so that's why I desided to boot in OS 9 in the first place - to see if it had the same problem.

[quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>On a PC, your nightmare could've stretched into days...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know even if I hadn't been able to fix it, I wouldn't have switched to PC anyway - I was just really pissed last night.

[quote]Originally posted by jesperas:

<strong>Congrats on the fix. ... I probably could have done it with just DiskWarrior, but TechTool was all I had at the time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks. I bought DiskWarrior in the first place (about 6 months ago) because I had problems with an external drive and Norton Utils latest couldn't fix it. I also tried Drive 10 (same "engine" as TechTool, if I'm not mistaken) and nothing worked (Norton actually made it worse becuase it claimed it had fixed the problems, but if I ran it again right after the "fix", even more problems would come up and none of the old would have been fixed). I had important datas on the drive, so as a last resort I bought DiskWarrior and that just worked.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>see, the good thing is that you only spent 3.5 hours fixing your mac. 3.5 hours and everything is fine again.

On a PC, your nightmare could've stretched into days...

:cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

No, No lol if it was a PC you have about 8 to 12 hours of good fixing to do easy. I have done it many times and out of all the times I spent 8 to 12 hours fixing my Windows Machines I should have bought a cheap PC that I could have used to Ghost my HD to fix the problem in an hour.