Apple CEO Tim Cook pledges support to employees affected by President Trump's immigration ...

Posted:
in General Discussion
In the wake of executive orders from U.S. President Donald Trump limiting immigration from a group of seven countries, Apple CEO Tim Cook has written to employees to reaffirm the company's pro-immigration stance, and advising affected staff will receive support from its human resources and legal teams.

Signed on Friday by President Trump, the executive order is suspending visa entry from seven Muslim-majority countries, until tougher vetting procedures are put in place, reports Time. The order, anticipated based on campaign trail pledges, will prevent citizens of Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Yemen, and Libya from entering the United States for a 90-day period and then even after "extreme vetting."

The ban applies to green card and H-1B visa holders, as well as to individuals maintaining dual-citizenship in one of the named countries.

"I am establishing new vetting measures to keep radical Islamic terrorists out of the United States," said Trump. "We want to ensure that we are not admitting into our country the very threats our soldiers are fighting overseas."

Following the signing, immigrants from the seven countries were quick to feel the effects, with travelers barred from entry and removed from flights. The New York Times notes that the executive order has also affected green card holders from the specified countries, with those outside the U.S. requiring a case-by-case waiver to re-enter, and those resident in the U.S. advised to meet a consular officer before leaving.

Noting the importance of immigration to Apple, Tim Cook writes in the memo, acquired by MacRumors, that he has heard from a number of employees about the executive order, advising he shares their concerns and that "it is not a policy we support."

Employees directly affected by the immigration order have been contacted by Apple's human resources, legal, and security teams, with Cook pledging the company's support. Resources on Apple's company-wide communications system are being provided to further explain Apple's immigration policies, and Apple has also reached out to the current Administration to "explain the negative effect on our coworkers and our company."

"Apple is open. Open to everyone, no matter where they come from, which language they speak, who they love or how they worship. Our employees represent the finest talent in the world, and our team hails from every corner of the globe."

The leadership of other tech giants have also responded to the order and its effects on employees, with the CEOs of Netflix, Lyft, Uber, Google, and Twitter objecting to the move.

Apple founder and CEO Steve Jobs was the son of a Syrian immigrant to the U.S.

Team,

In my conversations with officials here in Washington this week, I've made it clear that Apple believes deeply in the importance of immigration -- both to our company and to our nation's future. Apple would not exist without immigration, let alone thrive and innovate the way we do.

I've heard from many of you who are deeply concerned about the executive order issued yesterday restricting immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries. I share your concerns. It is not a policy we support.

There are employees at Apple who are directly affected by yesterday's immigration order. Our HR, Legal and Security teams are in contact with them, and Apple will do everything we can to support them. We're providing resources on AppleWeb for anyone with questions or concerns about immigration policies. And we have reached out to the White House to explain the negative effect on our coworkers and our company.

As I've said many times, diversity makes our team stronger. And if there's one thing I know about the people at Apple, it's the depth of our empathy and support for one another. It's as important now as it's ever been, and it will not weaken one bit. I know I can count on all of you to make sure everyone at Apple feels welcome, respected and valued.

Apple is open. Open to everyone, no matter where they come from, which language they speak, who they love or how they worship. Our employees represent the finest talent in the world, and our team hails from every corner of the globe.

In the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, "We may have all come on different ships, but we are in the same boat now."

Tim

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Be forewarned.

Discussion is welcome, but hate and ad hominem attacks will not be tolerated. We can have differing political opinions, but there is zero room for disrespect of anyone participating in the comment thread here.

There will be no warnings before bans are handed out. And, if we think you're trying to goad somebody into breaking the rules, you're gone too.
    edited January 2017 jSnivelyAppleInsidercornchipslprescottanton zuykovfotoformatchiastanthemandoozydozenkudu
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Great news from a great company.  Leadership at its best :)
    anantksundarameqapjSnivelyAppleInsiderslprescottSolidoozydozenirelandGebbenmdriftmeyer
  • Reply 3 of 12
    After 11 years of running Macs, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV:s and Airports, I will now leave the Apple ecosystem. I won't buy the products of a company that is acting politically towards my believes.
    Wont_B_Silencedberndogawilliams87pulseimagesgtrjbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Global companies in human capital intensive industries must seek out the best global talent. Period. This is the fundamental reason why the US is unrivaled in fields such as tech, biotech, and academia. 

The moment we back away from this imperative is when we begin to lose it as a nation. 
    berndogjSnivelyAppleInsiderSolidewmelevichiakudumattinozlarrya
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I believe you'll find that the rest of the U.S.-based tech industry is telling their employees, who are legally allowed to work in the U.S., the same thing.

And, from the article: "The ban applies to green card and H-1B visa holders, as well as to individuals maintaining dual-citizenship in one of the named countries."
    edited January 2017 anantksundaramAppleInsiderjSnivelySoliRayz2016doozydozenireland
  • Reply 6 of 12
    After 11 years of running Macs, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV:s and Airports, I will now leave the Apple ecosystem. I won't buy the products of a company that is acting politically towards my believes.
    Looks like you made the right decision, given your beliefs. 

But good luck finding another major US tech company that shares your beliefs. 
    eqapjSnivelyAppleInsidercornchipSoliRayz2016levidoozydozenStrangeDaysireland
  • Reply 7 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I'm not surprised by Cook's response, but I highly doubt the executive orders are affecting that many people at Apple or any other tech firms. What Trump is doing is saving us from the disaster like Merkel has created in Europe. We need to have a stronger vetting process and not just open our borders to everyone like the liberals want.
    edited January 2017 SpamSandwichcornchipeuropean_fanboyelijahgk2kwmike1gtrequality725211983irwinmaurice
  • Reply 8 of 12
    eqapeqap Posts: 4member
    This memo is too weak a response to the erosion of real American values and violation of the Constitution.
    dewme
  • Reply 9 of 12
    eqap said:
    This memo is too weak a response to the erosion of real American values and violation of the Constitution.
    This so-called "ban" isn't a violation of the Constitution. The President has wide latitude when it comes to decisions made about national security, especially with non-US citizens. Remember, for this to withstand legal challenges, this isn't a ban on Muslims, it's a ban on immigration from countries which are majority Muslim. Jimmy Carter did the same thing back during the hostage crisis during his presidency. I'm actually a little surprised Trump didn't add Saudi Arabia to this travel freeze, considering the 9/11 hijackers came from there.
    edited January 2017 european_fanboymacseekertallest skilk2kwmike1equality725211983anton zuykovirwinmauricepatchythepirate
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Looks like you made the right decision, given your beliefs. 

But good luck finding another major US tech company that shares your beliefs. 
    I neither except nor need to – there are several South Korean, Chinese and Japanese tech companies to choose from.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ... I highly doubt the executive orders are affecting that many people at Apple or any other tech firms. 
    The issue is not how many people this affects.  The issue is whether such a ban is ethical to anyone.  It is not.
    SpamSandwichjSnivelySolidewmelevichiadoozydozenirelandGebben
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    I've closed this thread.

We have a political forum where you guys can express your opinions. Please take a little time to read over our commenting guidelines if you decide to continue this conversation there. We have left both positive and negative comments in this thread for the sake of balance. We encourage you to use the like/informative buttons (only available to registered users) to show your support for either position.
    edited January 2017 SpamSandwich
This discussion has been closed.