Prince songs expected to hit Apple Music, other streaming services on Grammy's night

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2017
More than 19 months after Prince pulled his songs from all streaming music services save for Jay-Z's Tidal, the musician's estate is set to release a selection of top hits to Apple Music and other providers on Feb. 12, according to reports.

Citing music industry sources familiar with the matter, the New York Post on Monday reported Prince's Warner Music Group albums are set to go live on streaming outlets like Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, Google Play, Deezer and others during the Grammy Awards ceremony next month.

The Warner albums, which include hit singles like "Let's Go Crazy," "Purple Rain" and "When Doves Cry," have been Tidal exclusives since Prince abruptly yanked the content from competing streaming services in July 2015. At the time, Google said it had not received a request to pull the albums from Google Play Music All Access, though it seems the tracks were removed at a later date.

Prince's takedown request came just nine months prior to his death last April. In the intervening months, his estate has been in negotiations to return the artist's catalog to popular streaming services.

At the time of his death, Apple honored Prince by sending out messages of support through company Twitter accounts. Executives also posted condolences to their personal accounts, with CEO Tim Cook calling the musician "a true innovator and a singular artist," saying "his music and influence will live on for generations." Marketing chief Phil Schiller said, "'The sky was all purple' RIP #Prince."

Adding to release rumors, Spotify this week began posting billboard ads in the New York City subway and other high traffic areas displaying the company's logo set against a purple background, Prince's signature color. Recent rumblings within the music world suggested Prince would return to Apple Music in the near future, though those claims were never substantiated.

While Apple lacked rights to stream Prince tunes through its Apple Music subscription service, the company continued to sell his music on iTunes and play select cuts on Beats 1 radio.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    They were on Spotify then poof! Gone!
    Glad to see him back !
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 2 of 14
    -los-los Posts: 15member
    I have been waiting for this day to come. Now the money is going to start rolling in for whoever owns the rights to his music. Can't wait for them to hit Apple Music. 
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Not his entire catalog though. I'm going to assume whatever you can buy on iTunes today is all that will be on Music. And that's like 20 out of his 39 albums. 
  • Reply 4 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Maybe I'm wrong but....

I'm sure about %5 of Tidal users subscribe because of Prince's exclusivity. Not even Kanye could keep his word. This is gonna hurt.

A Prince Apple Music ad during the Grammy's would be a major blow. 
    argonaut
  • Reply 5 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I can't tell you how excited I am for this.... /s
    damn_its_hot
  • Reply 6 of 14
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    >>yawn<<
    macxpressdamn_its_hot
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Yes, time for you to go and bore another Forum or news article. Amazingly your name and comment sum you up.
    boredumb said:
    >>yawn<<
    edited February 2017 StrangeDayscali
  • Reply 8 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Yes, time for you to go and bore another Forum or news article. Amazingly your name and comment sum you up.
    boredumb said:
    >>yawn<<
    Seriously though...who cares! His music isn't that great...nobody is missing it! 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Nice to see that the people in control of his estate are adhering to his wishes...

/s
  • Reply 10 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    boredumb said:
    >>yawn<<
    macxpress said:
    I can't tell you how excited I am for this.... /s
    I'm sure most of your music isn't my cup of tea either. That's how subjective tastes work, and it shouldn't even be necessary to explain that. 
    cali
  • Reply 11 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    macxpress said:
    boredumb said:
    >>yawn<<
    Seriously though...who cares! His music isn't that great...nobody is missing it! 
    Whether you like it or not, your statement is factually false -- many, many people like it and miss it. The numbers are quantatatively conclusive of this fact. 
    cali
  • Reply 12 of 14
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    His last album was just amazing. Xtralovable was finally just perfect. I couldn't stop listening to it.

I'm still so sad he is gone. Maybe if we are lucky we will get some new material from the vault. Take my money please!
    cali
  • Reply 13 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    macxpress said:
    boredumb said:
    >>yawn<<
    "Nobody is missing it!"

well sales and subscribers disagree with you. He's one of the biggest artists in recording history so I cant even comprehend what you're trying to say.

I guess Tidal bragged about Prince exclusivity because no one cared..../s 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    boredumb said:
    >>yawn<<
    Oh! Ouch!  You win!
    Now, please 'let me up' before you deliver another piercing, incisive blow...