Amazon is charging tax now?!?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This sucks. My favorite internet store is charging tax in NC now. Great, now I've got to find my gf's iPod somewhere else. :/

When did this start happening? And why?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It depends on which inventory the product actually comes from. Anything I buy from Amazon's Office Depot store has sales tax attached to it. Curiously, things in the Toys R Us portion of the store don't carry California sales tax.

Oooh, I just found a list:

[code]Amazon.com LLC: ND and WA

Amazon.com Kids, Inc.: ND and WA

Amazon.com Baby, Inc.: ND and WA

Babiesrus.com, LLC: All states other than AK, DC, DE, MT, NH, OR, and WY

Borders teamed with Amazon.com, Inc.: ND and WA

Circuit City Stores, Inc.: All states other than AK, DE, MT, ND, NH, OR, and SD

J&R Electronics, Inc.: NY only

Office Depot, Inc.: All states other than AK, DE, MT, NH, and OR

Synapse Services, Inc.: WA only

target.direct LLC: AR, MN, NV, and WA

Tech Depot, an Office Depot Company: CA, CT, NC, and TN</pre><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/468512/"; target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/468512/</a>;

In other words, Amazon's policies haven't changed, but they seem to be broadening their selection quite a bit with all these partnerships. There are some crossover products. As an example, you can buy inkjet cartridges at the Office Depot portion OR the Electronics/Computers portion of Amazon. In one case you'd have to pay tax, but not in the other.

Amazon's actually gotten quite a bit better recently. They still don't charge tax for most things. They have free ground shipping for most orders over $25. They've also engaged in pretty aggressive online pricematching.

The PowerBook G4 667 is currently $100 below retail at Amazon. The 800 MHz model is $155 under retail. Curiously Amazon has no iBooks in stock at all...

[ 10-09-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>