Apple's new iPad Pro ad says users can avoid printing in public

Posted:
in iPad
Apple on Tuesday released another spot in its recent series of iPad Pro ads, this time concentrated on the idea that the tablet can let people avoid using printers.

The video is based a post by a real Twitter user, @ROSESplease, in which she complains about printing personal documents at work and having to "run to the printer to get your stuff before anyone else does." The ad then notes that you can email documents directly from an iPad, using an Apple Pencil to sign them.

Like other entries in the campaign, the new ad is just 15 seconds long. This likely reflects a shift in Apple's marketing focus towards digital and social media, de-emphasizing TV.

The company has allegedly reduced its marketing budget, leading its main ad partner -- TBWA\Media Arts Lab -- to lay off people at offices around the globe, even its Los Angeles headquarters. Apple is also reportedly adopting a regional focus instead of trying to translate global campaigns, an early example being the "Meu Bloco na Rua" commercial for Brazil.

Less clear is why Apple would be airing iPad ads now when new models could be just a month away. The company is typically expected to deliver three new ones, including an updated 12.9-inch tablet, a new 10.5-inch size, and a budget version of the 9.7-inch form factor. There's been no indication of an iPad mini update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I like these!
    radarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Timeline for this whole series:
    3-4 seconds presents problem/unfounded myth via Twitter for some reason
    5-6 seconds omniscient calm guy states that the iPad is the solution/bust myth
    5 seconds of humor

Those last 5 seconds are invariably grating ("Word? Word. Word. Yeah, Word. Wweeeeerrrrrd.") and I wish they all ended at 9-10 seconds. But never mind me, just bring on the new iPads!

edit: add line breaks
    edited February 2017 randominternetperson[Deleted User]Roger_Fingas
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Why is she using her work printer to print personal things? I think she just gave her boss grounds to fire her.
    bestkeptsecret[Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Why is she using her work printer to print personal things? I think she just gave her boss grounds to fire her.
    Yeah because every work place doesn't have the same issue.....
    mike1StrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 14
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Sometimes you have to actually Print something and mail the paper.   What am I supposed to do?   Mail my iPad instead.   Dumb commercial.

Went to buy a Printer for my dad's house where he has Wifi and an old modem.    Discovered that to setup the Printer I needed a laptop too.   Maybe apple should work more on actually printing from the iPad. (Yes the printer said AirPlay supported ).    I guess next trip I'll Bring my windows laptop. (or maybe I should just get a Surface Pro4)
  • Reply 6 of 14
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,419member
    this is just an awful ad... I am surprised apple allowed that. And no, it's not that simple to annotate a PDF. Even to this day, iPad Pro does not give me that option. I cannot do that directly from Safari and I cannot do that from iBook but I can do in email only if it's attached. It's just not efficient. If iOS can make ALL PDFs annotable in all its system apps then it's competitive.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Ads always churn up the trolls...
    mike1StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 618member
    Found the American!
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 14
    k2kw said:
    Sometimes you have to actually Print something and mail the paper.   What am I supposed to do?   Mail my iPad instead.   Dumb commercial.

Went to buy a Printer for my dad's house where he has Wifi and an old modem.    Discovered that to setup the Printer I needed a laptop too.   Maybe apple should work more on actually printing from the iPad. (Yes the printer said AirPlay supported ).    I guess next trip I'll Bring my windows laptop. (or maybe I should just get a Surface Pro4)
    "AirPlay" - there's your problem, you want one with AirPrint :P seriously tho, I've setup loads of these and the "set-up" consisted of plugging it in, turning it on and connecting it to WiFi via the WPS button or punching in a password on the printer itself, never needed a laptop.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    k2kw said:

So let me get this straight. 
    Your lack of research is Apple's fault?
    StrangeDaysapplepieguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Why is Apple pushing IPads prior to their coming new release?

I suspect Apple will be making the IPad a more integral part of its computer line-up.   The latest release of the MacBooks was weak and focused on the high end -- leaving the low-end MacBooks as prey for IPads to eat....

Essentially, add a touch pad to the IPad Pro's keyboard (along with a decent file system) and you have MacBook killer. 

I think Apple is looking down the road.

• Reply 12 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    Timeline for this whole series:
    3-4 seconds presents problem/unfounded myth via Twitter for some reason
    5-6 seconds omniscient calm guy states that the iPad is the solution/bust myth
    5 seconds of humor

Those last 5 seconds are invariably grating ("Word? Word. Word. Yeah, Word. Wweeeeerrrrrd.") and I wish they all ended at 9-10 seconds. But never mind me, just bring on the new iPads!

edit: add line breaks
    Nah, they're pretty funny and informative. I really enjoyed the "Word" one too.

What computer commercials do you think are better?
  • Reply 13 of 14

Because not all of us are fearful corporate bootlickers and often print what we want to print. I also check ESPN.
  • Reply 14 of 14

k2kw said:

Sounds like your printer sucks. I have an AirPlay HP printer and had no problem getting my iOS devices to use it, a laptop was not needed.