AAPL beats $140 per share in mid-day trading, inches closer to record $775B market cap

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited March 2017
Apple's stock price on Wednesday afternoon broke $140 per share and is only a few dollars short of both a pre-split $1000 valuation and breaking the company's previous market capitalization record of $774.69 billion set in 2015.

At $140, Apple's stock price is $7.82 away from breaking the old market capitalization record, briefly reached on Feb 23, 2015. At the same price, the oft-discussed $1000 per-share valuation corrected for the split is only a $2.86 rise away.

On Wednesday, the stock sat at $137.95 at the start of business, after jumping up nearly $1 in after-hours trading from Tuesday's active session.

Apple's market capitalization broke $700 billion on Feb. 14. In the last 30 days, AAPL has jumped from $128.75.

The week's AAPL gains seem to be related to remarks made by Warren Buffett to the press on Monday, with the financial head claiming that Berkshire Hathaway had purchased 133 million shares in the stock in 2016 and 2017. Apple wasn't the biggest point contributor to Wednesday's 1000-point DOW gains, with 35% of the total gain split between Apple, Goldman Sachs, and Boeing.

It is likely investors will keep the rising price trend going, with analysts suggesting it can go far higher in fiscal year 2017. While some suggest Apple could climb to between $140 and $150 per share, with Goldman Sachs' confidence in the fall iPhone refresh prompting it to raise its target price to $150, some analysts believe the price could go as high as $156 per share.

UBS analyst Steven Milunovich said in a research note that Apple's Services arm is undervalued by investors, compared to other parts of the company. After generating $7.17 billion in revenue in the last quarter and demonstrating steady revenue growth, Milunovich suggests "If Apple services were valued similarly to PayPal, the stock would be at least 10 percent higher."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Oh Collin Gillis...if only you would reappear ...
    radarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Trump bump!
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Winning.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Trump bump!
    Indeed. In fact, once tax reform and the overseas corporate money starts to repatriate and pour back into the US the market will really explode upward. There's a good chance inflation will kick in at some point also.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 5 of 35
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,077member
    Apple isn't the biggest point contributor to the DJIA's gains today (and it hasn't been for most of the day). Goldman Sachs is, and as of right now Boeing and JP Morgan are also bigger points contributors to the DJIA's gains. Combined, I think the three you mentioned (AAPL, GS, and BA) account for about 25% of today's increase in the DJIA.

For those that don't know, the (30) component stocks of the DJIA aren't weighted by market cap. All that matters is the change in their stock prices (in dollars) and the divisor used for the DJIA. Right now the DJIA divisor is about 0.146. So to get the DJIA you just add the current prices of the 30 stocks and divide the total by that number (that isn't the exact number, but it's close). If a given stock's price rises $5, it increases the DJIA by about 34 points. And that's true whether the stock started at $40 or at $200.
    Solistompyradarthekat
  • Reply 6 of 35
    carnegie said:
    Apple isn't the biggest point contributor to the DJIA's gains today (and it hasn't been for most of the day). Goldman Sachs is, and as of right now Boeing and JP Morgan are also bigger points contributors to the DJIA's gains. Combined, I think the three you mentioned (AAPL, GS, and BA) account for about 25% of today's increase in the DJIA.

For those that don't know, the (30) component stocks of the DJIA aren't weighted by market cap. All that matters is the change in their stock prices (in dollars) and the divisor used for the DJIA. Right now the DJIA divisor is about 0.146. So to get the DJIA you just add the current prices of the 30 stocks and divide the total by that number (that isn't the exact number, but it's close). If a given stock's price rises $5, it increases the DJIA by about 34 points. And that's true whether the stock started at $40 or at $200.
    Goldman Sachs is up 1.91%, Apple is up 2.04%.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    carnegie said:

Goldman Sachs is up 4.65 points, Apple is up 2.94 points.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 8 of 35
    carnegie said:

GS is up $4.65 and AAPL is up $2.79. That's what matters when it comes to how many points they contribute to the DJIA's gains, which is what the article refers to and what I was commenting on.

GS contributed about 31.8 points while AAPL contributed about 19.1 points.
    Soliradarthekatnetmage
  • Reply 9 of 35
    carnegie said:
    carnegie said:

GS is up $4.65 and AAPL is up $2.79. That's what matters when it comes to how many points they contribute to the DJIA's gains, which is what the article refers to and what I was commenting on.

I own both stocks. Which do you think has performed better?
  • Reply 10 of 35
    carnegie said:
    carnegie said:

Today? AAPL was up more on a percentage basis.

But that wasn't the issue. The issue was how many points they respectively contributed to the DJIA's gains today.

I see that the original article has now been corrected in that regard.
    Soliradarthekatnetmage
  • Reply 11 of 35
    carnegie said:
    carnegie said:

That's not his point, which I think he was very clear with his equation. You can invest in a penny stock that will jump a thousand times in a short time frame thereby "performing better" for you, and all without affecting the DJIA.
    stompyradarthekat
  • Reply 12 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    carnegie said:
    carnegie said:

And this is also why no one really invests with the DOW in mind. While it's one of the best known indexes, it's also one of the least useful.
    SpamSandwichradarthekat
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Soli said:
    carnegie said:
    carnegie said:

That's not his point, which I think he was very clear with his equation. You can invest in a penny stock that will jump a thousand times in a short time frame thereby "performing better" for you, and all without affecting the DJIA.
    Yes, if a penny stock were ever allowed in the DOW. But a major problem for the DOW is that if a company has a 100 million shares, but each share is worth $200, it's weighted more heavily than a company with a billion shares where each share is worth $50. This really makes no sense. If a company is growing rapidly, and splits, then its weighting drops, even if it's growing faster than any other DOW component. Crazy!
    edited March 2017 SpamSandwichradarthekat
  • Reply 14 of 35
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Trump bump!
    Indeed. In fact, once tax reform and the overseas corporate money starts to repatriate and pour back into the US the market will really explode upward. There's a good chance inflation will kick in at some point also.
    You right-wingers are fucking hilarious, crediting literally everything to Trump when it suits you. Apple stock price is because of Apple's performance and the confidence investors have in the company. It has nothing to do with Trump, no matter how desperate you are to give him some undue credit. 
    SolilollivermelgrossiqatedoStrangeDaysradarthekat
  • Reply 15 of 35
    slurpy said:
    Trump bump!
    You right-wingers are fucking hilarious, crediting literally everything to Trump when it suits you. Apple stock price is because of Apple's performance and the confidence investors have in the company. It has nothing to do with Trump, no matter how desperate you are to give him some undue credit. 
    That's ok, Trump is already claiming credit for things that happened during Obama's administration. Why not this too?
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Does any one know what the Apple share price will be at a trillion dollar markel cap?
  • Reply 17 of 35
    melgross said:
    slurpy said:
    Trump bump!
    That's ok, Trump is already claiming credit for things that happened during Obama's administration. Why not this too?
    Not everything. He blamed his botched Yemen mission, the civilian causalities (including a little girl), and the death of Ryan Owens on Obama.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Does any one know what the Apple share price will be at a trillion dollar markel cap?
    That isn't really precisely knowable because we don't know how many AAPL shares are outstanding at (most) given moments. Most of us outside of Apple don't know, anyway.

But I think most would report that Apple had reached a market cap of $1 trillion if it traded at $190.61 before Apple makes its next SEC filing indicating how many shares are outstanding. The last reported number we have is 5,246,540,000 shares as of January 20, 2017.

In a couple of months we might find out that, e.g., only 5,200,000,000 shares are outstanding. That would increase the per share price needed to represent a $1 trillion market cap.
    Solitrashman69radarthekatai46
  • Reply 19 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    How is the DJIA still a thing?  It's an utterly useless measure.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Is anyone else experiencing an issue where the edit functionality (for posts you just made) is no longer available?

Or has it been moved and I just can't find it?