Apple fulfilling LG UltraFine 5K display orders quicker than expected, some arrive today

Posted:
in General Discussion
A multitude of reports claim that a LG UltraFine 5K order placed as recently as a week ago will be shipped much earlier than expected, with some people expecting the order as soon as this afternoon.

According to several tipsters contacting AppleInsider Apple's prognostications of a delivery by March 10 of the retrofitted LG 5K display are very conservative. Previously slated to start shipping on March 7, one reader informed us that his monitor shipped on March 1, and is arriving on Thursday.

As recently as Tuesday morning, Apple's page for the UltraFine 5K display said 2-3 weeks for shipment. While both the Mar. 15 and Mar 16 dates given on the outside of delivery windows fall in that range, it is an update with a more specific date for availability than when they were removed from sale on Feb. 13.

The sporadic RF interference problems were first tied to wi-fi networking gear, with some monitors exhibiting connectivity issues with the equipment in close proximity. However, extended AppleInsider testing pointed to about 1 in 4 monitors impacted by the issue, with other powerful radio transmitters also capable interfering with the monitory by "blocking" the frequencies that a wi-fi router uses.

The testing facility that AppleInsider is working with ordered four of the new displays to continue the RF evaluation. Originally slated to ship on March 8, with an arrival on March 10, the ship date has been moved up to Friday, with an arrival on March 6.

The 5120-by-2880 DCI-P3 UltraFine 5K was first shown at the event that launched the 2016 MacBook Pro, and is currently discounted through the end of March to $974 from $1299. The monitorand was built specifically to connect to one of the 2016 MacBook Pro's Thunderbolt 3 ports, and includes features like a trio of USB 3.1 type C ports, a webcam, and stereo speakers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    WAAAHHH!!!! But it's so ugly it makes me want to thump a kitten! WAAAAAAHHHH!

pulseimagesstaticx57hzc
  • Reply 2 of 7
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    Apple should just bring back Target Display Mode for the 27" iMac. 

• Reply 3 of 7
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Rayz2016 said:

Yep, they bitch about Apple’s “overpriced” hardware and how third party suppliers make cheaper and better solutions. Then when Apple stops making that “overpriced” hardware they bitch about the third party replacement, how ugly it is, and how they want the “overpriced” stuff back. Maybe there’s a reason Apple made stuff costs more that has to do with elegant design. Then there are the spec monkeys who don’t care about design. It could be purple with yellow polkadots and they wouldn’t complain as long as they can brag about the specs. It’s a strange lot that post their drivel here.
    StrangeDayspulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 7
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    The monitor would be compelling at this price point if it had slick iMac styling. But $1K is just way overpriced for a bland LG monitor. As is, I'd pull the trigger around $700. Hopefully that will happen sometime this year. I can't imagine there will be sustained demand at $1K. Especially when the competition starts dropping similar monitors into the market.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Too bad the redesign didn't include a decent looking outer shell. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    schlack said:
    The monitor would be compelling at this price point if it had slick iMac styling. But $1K is just way overpriced for a bland LG monitor. As is, I'd pull the trigger around $700. Hopefully that will happen sometime this year. I can't imagine there will be sustained demand at $1K. Especially when the competition starts dropping similar monitors into the market.
    Wait until you find out that this is the special introductory price and that this thing is $1,299 starting April 1.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    Rayz2016 said:

Phew! I was just wondering if I was the only person that thought so. I can't believe that Apple sells this through its website.

Or perhaps LG needs a better photographer?