Hulu says live TV service will launch with cloud DVR, real-time alerts

Posted:
in General Discussion
Hulu this week updated the teaser page for its upcoming live TV service, revealing some of its planned features -- most notably cloud DVR support, which should be ready from the beginning.

The update to experiencehulu.com promises that people will be able to "save anything to watch later," an option so far reserved for Sony's PlayStation Vue. DVR functions will eventually come to rivals Sling TV and YouTube TV.

Some other promised items include the ability to pause and resume streams, and get "real-time alerts for live events and TV moments that matter to you." Plans will support multiple profiles -- including guest accounts -- as well as streaming to multiple devices simultaneously.

Viewers will also have access to all of Hulu's on-demand content, and indeed the live service appears to be positioned as an add-on.

Hulu is currently accepting applications for a public beta test. In a mandatory survey, the company identifies iOS, Android, Xbox, and the fourth-generation Apple TV as supporting platforms.

More platforms are likely to be compatible at launch however, since the on-demand version of Hulu works with Roku, Chromecast, PlayStation 4, and some smart TVs and Blu-ray players, among other choices.

The website update suggests that a launch may happen in the next few months. Hulu has so far been vague about an exact date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    First provider to solve for live sports wins. Otherwise, lots of me-too competition spinning the wheels to nowhere fast. 
    redhotfuzz
  • Reply 2 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Unless these Streaming Services provide some flexibility to individual channels add-on the top of their Basic package requirements, they are not succeeding to attract or keep Cord cutters.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    iSRSiSRS Posts: 49member
    sog35 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Unless these Streaming Services provide some flexibility to individual channels add-on the top of their Basic package requirements, they are not succeeding to attract or keep Cord cutters.
    Uh.......speak for yourself.

I cut the cord. I was paying $100 for cable. Now I pay only $40 for Playstation Vue and get every single channel I care for plus DVR.

Those wishing for full ala carte TV are in dream land and will never be satisfied.  If you think there will be plans were you can choose individual channels for $1 you are in a pipe dream smoking some GOOD STUFF.

this is like going into to Costco and seeing a pack of 6 muffins for $6.  And then demanding that you want only 1 muffin for $1. Get real.  Its called bulk pricing and it applies to TV also. Sure you can buy single ala carte stations. But CBS cost $10. LOL. keep smoking the good stuff 
    I'm with you. A la carte is not happening how people envision it will. It certainly will not be cheaper.

Right now I pay $12/month for Hulu no commercials, and $6/month (Sept-Jan) for CBS (with commercials because I only care about live NFL games). Adding CBS, my other local channels live, and DVR? It may be the perfect package for me. So I pay $18/month now. I am happy to double that for live TV for any channel (locals specifically).

• Reply 4 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    iSRS said:
    sog35 said:
    wood1208 said:

I cut the cord. I was paying $100 for cable. Now I pay only $40 for Playstation Vue and get every single channel I care for plus DVR.

Those wishing for full ala carte TV are in dream land and will never be satisfied.  If you think there will be plans were you can choose individual channels for $1 you are in a pipe dream smoking some GOOD STUFF.

this is like going into to Costco and seeing a pack of 6 muffins for $6.  And then demanding that you want only 1 muffin for $1. Get real.  Its called bulk pricing and it applies to TV also. Sure you can buy single ala carte stations. But CBS cost $10. LOL. keep smoking the good stuff 
    I'm with you. A la carte is not happening how people envision it will. It certainly will not be cheaper.

Right now I pay $12/month for Hulu no commercials, and $6/month (Sept-Jan) for CBS (with commercials because I only care about live NFL games). Adding CBS, my other local channels live, and DVR? It may be the perfect package for me. So I pay $18/month now. I am happy to double that for live TV for any channel (locals specifically).

Ala carte can happen but most won't like the price of those each channels they want. So, there is win-win scenarios where Streaming Services offer base package to cover their cost and make some money than they allow single channel add-on top to satisfy customers liking and make not much but little extra money. Bottom line, you give what customer want and make money providing TV contents.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    wood1208 said:
    iSRS said:
    sog35 said:
    wood1208 said:

Ala carte can happen but most won't like the price of those each channels they want. So, there is win-win scenarios where Streaming Services offer base package to cover their cost and make some money than they allow single channel add-on top to satisfy customers liking and make not much but little extra money. Bottom line, you give what customer want and make money providing TV contents.
    Yet it won't happen
  • Reply 6 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    wood1208 said:
    iSRS said:
    sog35 said:
    wood1208 said:

Nwver see that. Who will order other channels?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Cut the cord 5 weeks ago. I was paying TWCSpectrum $190. a month. Now have Netflix, Hulu and Sling, plus I bought a $12. antenna at some dollar store and get CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX and CW, plus about 30 other strange but fun channels in HD for FREE. total bill is now about $98. a month and am not missing anything, Except a DVR service, that would be great.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Agreed on a la carte. The facts are that any semi-mainstream channel you will want to subscribe to will be a minimum of $5 each especially with CBS starting at $6. If CBS is 6, how much will TBS be? Or TNT? AMC? Or do you also like FX? I dare say these 4 (plus 1 more maybe) will price you at $25-30/month a la carte. And who's to say that "lesser" channels would be cheaper? Syfy might even be more since it caters to a more specific audience. I get all these now plus about 25 others for $30 with PS Vue.

At best, you will be able to bundle each conglomerate's offerings at reduced prices, which is what Fox did for Sling and PS Vue.
    A la carte is no panacea.

• Reply 9 of 11
    mtbnut said:
    First provider to solve for live sports wins. Otherwise, lots of me-too competition spinning the wheels to nowhere fast. 
    AT&T owns DirecTV. AT&T also owns Root Sports. But do you think I was allowed to watch Root Sports telecasts of NBA games on DirecTV Now? OF COURSE NOT!!!

And the NBA League Pass service is absolutely worthless (despite being expensive) BECAUSE I CAN'T WATCH ANY GAMES PLAYED BY MY HOME TEAM!!! Blackout rules? More like blackmail rules.

Absolutely mind boggling. Someone needs to hit these media companies and sports leagues with racketeering charges for the way they strong-arm the distribution of live sports.

So I ditched my stupid DirecTV Now service (but thanks for the free Apple TV!). I ditched their absurdly-overpriced satellite service over a year ago. (Inexpensive at first, then they jack up the price over time hoping you won't notice.) What a joke. I guess the NBA doesn't want me as a customer.

I also love how some sports apps will only allow you to watch certain broadcasts only the iPad, or only on the iPhone, but not via their Apple TV app. AS IF YOU CAN'T JUST SEND THE VIDEO DIRECTLY FROM YOUR IPHONE TO THE APPLE TV ANYWAY!

Idiots.

• Reply 10 of 11

sog35 said:
    wood1208 said:

Agreed, but give me (the consumer) the ability to create my own bundles for that bulk pricing. Don't force me to take 4 chocolate donuts with butterscotch frosting and cinnamon sprinkles just to get the dozen-donut price.