iPod and song swapping

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In this article, <a href="http://www.msnbc.com/news/820292.asp"; target="_blank">Napster or not, file swaps continue</a>, it is written that [quote]?If I were in the music industry I would be shaking about new burn software. ITunes on Apple?s iPod is really easy to use,? Herron said. ?I take my iPod to my friend?s house and I copy his new CD, rather than walk to the store in the rain and buy it. ... I download 17 tunes that are my favorites, burn CDs of them and give them to friends. The more easy they are to use, the less consumer has an understanding of the word ?steal.??<hr></blockquote>

I was under the impression that the situation referenced was not possible, am I misinformed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I think it's possible if you don't use auto-updating. You can never download songs off your iPod in iTunes, but with manual updating it's possible to upload songs to your iPod...I think.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Apple has made it quite easy to pirate music and carry it around to spread the piracy, the hardly-legible ("don't steal music") disclaimer notwithstanding.

I can download individual songs and iTunes will even make folders for them for me. No rip required.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    What stinks is how proud this kid is that this is possible.

But just so everyone understands: With iTunes and an iPod it is ONLY possible to upload songs TO the iPod. You can not pull music from an iPod into a different iTunes library. In fact, if you connect an iPod to a differnet Mac than it was synchronized with, you run the risk of totally losing all of the songs on the iPod, because the new computer's iTunes will want to take over.

Now, this discounts all use of software hacks that actually let you access the iPod music files without using iTunes. If yuo have one of those, thing are pretty open for copying and swapping. But that would alomost be like using an external hard drive to do the same thing. Nobody ever mentions that every PC has a floppy drive and or disk burner which also let you copy software.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quite right: as supplied, the iPod is not means of pirating music. These third-party hacks are, but that's down to the individual developers and users.

However, CD-burning within iTunes most definitely is, and no amount of "Don't steal music" notes at the bottom of webpages are going to change that.

The real problem is that the music industry doesn't trust music-lovers to be responsible, whereas a great many actually realise that if they don't buy the stuff in the first place, the artists won't get any money and won't be able to make any more music in the first place.