Apple Music sets new album streaming record 47% higher than Spotify, despite fewer users [...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2017
On its first full day of availability, Drake's new album More Life set a new record on Spotify of 61.3 million streams by users. Apple Music also hit a record number of streams for the same album: 89.9 million.

Drake's More Life on iTunes

Achieving 47 percent more streams than Spotify [this article inititally reported "68 percent" increase, an error in calculation] is particularly notable for Apple Music because Spotify has claimed over 100 million "active users" last summer, and 50 million "subscribers" earlier this month. Apple last reported a milestone of 20 million paid subscribers in December.

The streaming records, reported by the Verge, called Apple Music's outpacing of Spotify "no easy feat--especially with about 80 million less [sic] users," but noted that "Drakes ties to Apple Music and his radio show on Beats 1 helped push listeners to the service in droves."

Spotify's subscriber counts have generated some controversy due to the fact that it appears to count promotional subscriptions along with those that users actually sign up and pay for voluntarily. The streaming records reported by both companies appear to be the first public metric directly comparing actual usage, rather than flexible metrics of "subscribers."

In January, a report by The Trichordist stated that Apple Music paid nearly twice the streaming royalties of Spotify.

It noted that Apple paid out, on average, 7.35 tenths of cent per stream, compared to 4.37 from Spotify. Google Play Music paid 6.76 tenths of cent per stream, while the company's YouTube paid artists very little: only 0.69 tenths of cent per stream.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    This is not necessarily an indicator of the number of actual users of the two services.

I love streaming music but dislike Drake.

Maybe Spotify users just don't like Drake.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 34
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Have yet to still meet someone who uses Apple Music. 
    london11
  • Reply 3 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This is not necessarily an indicator of the number of actual users of the two services.

I love streaming music but dislike Drake.

Maybe Spotify users just don't like Drake.
    Can't be. He broke a record on Spotify also.

I'm not a fan and a lot of his lyrics suck but this album has my attention now. Must stream on Apple Music.  
    Soli
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Apple Music, Apple Watch and Apple Workout App are a fine and well used trio in my life.
    chasmlostkiwiredraider11watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34

Do you live in a cave? I know lots of Apple Music and Spotify users. Google Music is the one I've never seen anyone use.
    redhotfuzzfastasleeplostkiwititantigerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 34
    How would you even know?  Perhaps you should say something like "of the people I have discussed streaming with, none of them..."  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 34
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member

Do you live in a cave? I know lots of Apple Music and Spotify users. Google Music is the one I've never seen anyone use.
    Know lots of Spotify and Tidal... zero Apple Music myself. But I move in more hifi circles.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    "7.35 tenths of cent" is a weird way to say 0.735 cents or $0.00735.  Let's see 90 million streams means... $660K.  Not bad for a day's streaming. 
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 9 of 34
    bitmod said:

Know lots of Spotify and Tidal... zero Apple Music myself. But I move in more hifi circles.

Meaningless drivel. My experience of how many I've seen closely follows the real world usage numbers. Which is why I also haven't seen anyone on Tidal either.

WTH does "hifi circles" even mean? Some elitist crap to make yourself sound superior?
    leviadamcredraider11watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,267member
    Hi, I'm Chas. The "For You" recommendations section of Apple Music is highly awesome.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 34
    But... but... but Spotify is supposedly kicking AppleMusic's butt in every way possible. After all, isn't market share percentage and subscribership numbers more important than anything else? /s I honestly don't get why it's so important for any company's service to have the highest subscriber numbers. Isn't running a money-making business much more important than how many users there are? If a company only has a handful of subscribers and the business turns a profit then that's a good thing. I'm glad Spotify is doing well but why does it have to be compared with whatever Apple does. Each company should be measured based on its own individual goals and merits. Apple doesn't rely on AppleMusic's revenue stream for survival as Spotify does. Spotify has to carry a lot of freeloaders (like myself) while Apple doesn't. I don't have any interest in listening to Drake so I don't care who wins this streaming skirmish. I just hope both services continue to do well and provide revenue for each company.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 34

I'm surprised you took the bait. @sirlance99 loves trolling the forum.
    edited March 2017 lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 34
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

I'm surprised you took the bait. @sirlance99 loves trolling the forum.
    What are you even talking about @bestkeptsecret ? I have a iPhone 7+ 256GB Jetblack a MacBook Pro and my girlfriend works at Apple. Even she doesn't have Apple Music. I was just saying that I haven't met or known anyone that uses Apple Music. Which is a fact. Doesn't mean it's not doing well as it surely is. I don't think it's all that great compared to the others as it doesn't do anything more than the others but it's still doing well. 
  • Reply 14 of 34
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    bitmod said:

god, how unbearable
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34
    TiBook2002TiBook2002 Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    Apple Music, Apple Watch and Apple Workout App are a fine and well used trio in my life.
    Agreed and I'll throw in CarPlay. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 34
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,653member

It noted that Apple paid out, on average, 7.35 tenths of cent per stream, compared to 4.37 from Spotify. Google Play Music paid 6.76 tenths of cent per stream, while the company's YouTube paid artists very little: only 0.69 tenths of cent per stream.
    Is that to anyone or are those rates contractual to Drake?   
  • Reply 17 of 34
    birkobirko Posts: 60member

"Apple Music sets new album streaming record 68% higher than Spotify, despite fewer users"

I need to go back to school.

I thought that 68% of 61.3 is 41.7, so 68% more is 103, not 89.9.

Unless of course they mean Spotify only had 68% as many streams as Apple. 
    asdasdtokyojimu
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    That could be because you haven't met very many people. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34

zoetmb said:

Is that to anyone or are those rates contractual to Drake?   
    It says "on average", so I think it applies to everyone. 
  • Reply 20 of 34

bitmod said:

ROFL!

Score another listener for PompousFM
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra