Showtime for iOS adds support for offline downloads

Posted:
in iPhone
Premium network Showtime on Thursday updated its official apps for iOS with support for downloading episodes, giving both cord cutters and cable subscribers the option to watch programs like "Homeland" and "Billions" without an internet connection.

The Showtime streaming app and Showtime Anytime app now both support offline viewing.

Showtime Anytime requires users to have a subscription through their cable provider. Participating providers include AT&T, Charter/Spectrum, Comcast, Cox, DirecTV, DISH, Optimum, and Verizon.

Showtime's streaming app, meanwhile, offers a free one-month trial, followed by a subscription rate of $10.99 per month. It's available as an in-app purchase.

The apps also work on tvOS, though obviously offline support is not included on the Apple TV.

This week, Showtime was identified as potentially part of an Apple pay TV bundle, which could also include premium networks HBO and Starz. In addition to current hits like "Homeland," "The Affair," "Shameless" and "Ray Donovan," the CBS-owned Showtime offers streaming of concluded series such as "Dexter," "Weeds," and "Californication."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    Showtime app sucks (at least on ATV) -- constantly expiring my login session and requiring me to re authenticate on another device. Not using SSO. While leaving a 1-star review I saw many others with the same complaint. Hopefully they figure it out.