Renovated Fifth Avenue Apple store will get Beats 1 broadcasting zone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
When renovations are complete, one addition at Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store will include a special space for Beats 1 broadcasting, according to an AppleInsider source.

Beats 1 DJ Ebro Darden.
Beats 1 DJ Ebro Darden.

The source was unable to elaborate, but is considered reliable and well-placed. One of Apple's three main Beats 1 DJs -- Ebro Darden -- is believed to host his broadcasts elsewhere in Manhattan, from a studio on West 27th Street.

To what extent Apple will operate Beats 1 out of the store is uncertain. Conceivably Darden and his crew could relocate, but the presence of the public might cause problems, especially if high-profile guests are brought in.

An alternative is that the current studio will remain active, and Apple will use the Fifth Avenue space only when it wants a live audience for interviews and performances. Some of Apple's bigger outlets do occasionally host musical guests.

Renovations at the Fifth Avenue store have been underway since Jan. 20. The outlet will more than double its underground footprint from 32,000 square feet to 77,000, better coping with foot traffic, and likely expanding event possibilities even without Beats 1.

In the meantime Apple is operating a temporary storefront out of a former FAO Schwarz. At one point Apple was rumored to want the space permanently, feeling "entitled" to discounted rent because of the traffic its Fifth Avenue location brings in.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Apple's last gasp before the great demise. /s

Supposedly, whenever a large company moves to a new headquarters it is likely to be their monumental tombstone. This is what has been said about Apple and I believed it may have happened a couple of times to other companies. I really think that can be due to coincidences where the company was possibly on the rocks before the move took place. I don't really see how the connection works but I'm sure there must have been plenty of companies that thrived after they moved to a larger headquarters. Only time will tell to see what happens with Apple. I think Apple may have already beaten the "Dow Curse" so there's no sure thing about what happens to one company will definitely happen to another.

Fundamentally, I believe Apple is a solid company and I see nothing that will sway me otherwise.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 2 of 8
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,834moderator
    Feeling deserving of discounted rates...

(corrected that for you)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,834moderator
    Apple's last gasp before the great demise. /s

Supposedly, whenever a large company moves to a new headquarters it is likely to be their monumental tombstone. This is what has been said about Apple and I believed it may have happened a couple of times to other companies. I really think that can be due to coincidences where the company was possibly on the rocks before the move took place. I don't really see how the connection works but I'm sure there must have been plenty of companies that thrived after they moved to a larger headquarters. Only time will tell to see what happens with Apple. I think Apple may have already beaten the "Dow Curse" so there's no sure thing about what happens to one company will definitely happen to another.

Fundamentally, I believe Apple is a solid company and I see nothing that will sway me otherwise.
    Already been well debunked.  Examples include GM and Sears, which eventually did fall hard, multiple decades after creating their, then iconic, headquarters. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This is genius.

the only problem I see is friction between casual shoppers and crazy Beats 1/artist fans who may be stampeding the store.
    "I just want a damn iPad!!"
    *groupies screaming*
  • Reply 5 of 8
    This would be a very cool touch for this store and seems to me like it would be very well received in that marketplace. Large populace and a significant flow of tourism. I like the feel of this if true.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I wonder how Beats 1 as a global radio station is doing.  I tried to listen to it once, but it's just not my style of music.  I'm fine with the non-live virtual radio stations that Apple offers.

Anyone have any intel on the average or peak listeners to Beats 1?  I'd like it to be successful, but I have a feeling it'll be discontinued within a year or so.  Thoughts?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Never heard of them.  Is this really news? 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Never heard of them.  Is this really news? 
    Who's "them"?
    the special guests he may interview in the future?