Apple drops to 5th place in LaptopMag's brand rankings after leading for multiple years

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited April 2017
Apple has lost its place at the top of Laptop Mag's annual ranking of the best notebook brands after six years, with the MacBook producer dropping down to joint-fifth place, after being penalized over the high cost of its products and the apparent need to acquire dongles to expand its connectivity.

In the 2017 list of the publication's Best & Worst Laptop Brands, Lenovo rose three places to take first place, the position Apple has occupied on the chart since the list debuted in 2010. Asus, HP, and Acer all gained ground in the table, to second, fourth, and fifth respectively, while Dell joined Apple in losing ground, moving from second to third.

According to the report card, Apple scored 78 out of a possible 100 points. The company scored relatively highly across many of the categories, with support and warranty categories considered to be "second to none," but in the Value and Selection category it scored a low 6 out of 15.

In the explanation of why Apple was scored low, it is claimed there is not as much "value and variety" as other vendors, offering "only a handful of laptops, and most start at $1,299."

"If you're looking for an affordable laptop, don't look at Apple," writes the publication. "Featuring just five systems spread across three lines with the least expensive starting at $999, Apple doesn't exactly have a wide range of computers to choose from.

The report goes on to note that the MacBook Air hasn't received a refresh in "over two years," and that it "wouldn't be surprised if the company phased it out soon." Apple is also criticized for not offering a 2-in-1 notebook or one with a touchscreen, excluding the Touch Bar on the latest MacBook Pro models.

Editor in chief Mark Spoonauer suggests the decision to discontinue the 11-inch MacBook Air as the smallest notebook was poor, with the 12-inch MacBook thought to be too expensive as a viable alternative. The use of older-generation processors is also brought up, with the 13-inch Air using a 5th-generation Intel Core processor while the market uses 7th-generation chips, and the use of underpowered Core m3 and m5 processors.

Spoonauer is also not satisfied with Apple's current marketing of the iPad Pro as an affordable notebook replacement. "There's no touchpad on this machine's optional keyboard," he argues, before insisting "iOS simply isn't as good as macOS for multitasking."

On the subject of USB Type-C, it is suggested on the scorecard that users need a "bagful of dongles" to use the newer MacBooks in the summary. In the more detailed explanation, the "lack of port options" is said to have hampered the MacBook and 13-inch MacBook Pro review scores.

For the 13 out of 15 score for design, Apple has been declared the "rose-gold standard," due to the 12-inch MacBook's rose gold variant's existence, though the lack of other color options is noted. Apple's continued development of thin, light notebooks helped buoy the score in the category.

Apple's support is also praised as the standard bearer for the industry, with easy-to-navigate support pages and helpful support agents, though with a lack of support via FaceBook. The company also gains the maximum points available in Warranty, the smallest point-scoring category, for giving face-to-face support via the Apple Store Genius Bar.

The superior Apple support was highlighted in another report published in March, with Apple scoring 93 out of 100 and topping the rankings for the third year in a row.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    it is claimed there is not as much "value and variety" as other vendors, offering "only a handful of laptops, and most start at $1,299." 
    And that somehow damages the brand?
    "If you're looking for an affordable laptop, don't look at Apple,”
    Just ignore that every study done in the last 20 years shows that they’re more affordable than PCs for what they offer (as a platform as a whole).
    The report goes on to note that the MacBook Air hasn't received a refresh in "over two years," and that it "wouldn't be surprised if the company phased it out soon.”
    Which… hurts the brand?
    Apple is also criticized for not offering a 2-in-1 notebook or one with a touchscreen
    No, no. You don’t get to downrank a company for what it doesn’t offer. If you do that, you have to downrank all PCs for lacking security, ease of use, and platform integration.
    Editor in chief Mark Spoonauer suggests the decision to discontinue the 11-inch MacBook Air as the smallest notebook was poor
    So buy a netbook from 2009, dipshit. Do you want a pocketable laptop or something?
    "There's no touchpad on this machine's optional keyboard,"
    No shit; it’s a tablet, dumbass. You whine about not having a touchscreen laptop and then whine when you CAN touch the screen that there’s no touchpad? Fuck yourself.
    On the subject of USB Type-C, it is suggested on the scorecard that users need a “bagful of dongles” to use the newer MacBooks in the summary.
    Oh, so just like the idiots whining in 1996, then.
    For the 13 out of 15 score for design, Apple has been declared the “rose-gold standard,” due to the 12-inch MacBook's rose gold variant's existence, though the lack of other color options is noted.
    Was Apple voted down when they only offered one color? If not, they need to be fucking sued.
    Apple's support is also praised as the standard bearer for the industry, with easy-to-navigate support pages and helpful support agents, though with a lack of support via FaceBook.
    This is a joke post, right? It’s just 9 days late, right? FUCKING RIGHT?!
    edited April 2017 wonkothesanewlymdoozydozenmacxpressmwhitejbdragoncapasicumlkruppRayz2016magman1979
  • Reply 2 of 94
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Two words about this survery/article. "MY FOOT". It is misguided. Higher price vs spec compare to Windows laptop is reasonable argument(comparing Apple vs Orange) but as far as the best laptop is concern, the Macbook pros are still the best, king of laptop on earth. Not having those hardly use ports is noise, mute argument because Industry is consolidating those generation old ports functions into port like USB Type-C.
    edited April 2017 tallest skilmagman1979redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 94
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    it is claimed there is not as much "value and variety" as other vendors, offering "only a handful of laptops, and most start at $1,299." 
    Just ignore that every study done in the last 20 years shows that they’re more affordable than PCs for what they offer (as a platform as a whole).
    The report goes on to note that the MacBook Air hasn't received a refresh in "over two years," and that it "wouldn't be surprised if the company phased it out soon.”
    Which… hurts the brand?
    Apple is also criticized for not offering a 2-in-1 notebook or one with a touchscreen
    No, no. You don’t get to downrank a company for what it doesn’t offer. If you do that, you have to downrank all PCs for lacking security, ease of use, and platform integration.
    Editor in chief Mark Spoonauer suggests the decision to discontinue the 11-inch MacBook Air as the smallest notebook was poor
    So buy a netbook from 2009, dipshit. Do you want a pocketable laptop or something?
    No shit; it’s a tablet, dumbass. You whine about not having a touchscreen laptop and then whine when you CAN touch the screen that there’s no touchpad? Fuck yourself.
    On the subject of USB Type-C, it is suggested on the scorecard that users need a “bagful of dongles” to use the newer MacBooks in the summary.
    For the 13 out of 15 score for design, Apple has been declared the “rose-gold standard,” due to the 12-inch MacBook's rose gold variant's existence, though the lack of other color options is noted.
    Was Apple voted down when they only offered one color? If not, they need to be fucking sued.
    Apple's support is also praised as the standard bearer for the industry, with easy-to-navigate support pages and helpful support agents, though with a lack of support via FaceBook.
    They forgot to die vote Aplle due to lack of floppy drive support as well. 

Funny how spec-whoring replaces use cases and real user experience when it comes down to ranking. But alas. That's how we know the game already. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 94
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Sounds about right...

Though I dont care as much about the ports, the Pro model needs them.  Dongs work better and are more acceptable on machines with smaller screens (Air versions).

The Air / 12" and below models really need to move to the Ax ARM chip, and the Pro versions with larger screens have (more powerful) Intel processors.

A transformer sub 12" model would be useful as long as it's OS X (which would be complicated).

Apple has done a poor job pricing laptops... (agreed)

I currently have an Android phone + IPad + cheep PC

I'd rather have a transformer 10.5 - 12" + large screen IPhone.  

brucemc
  • Reply 5 of 94
    I almost see and hear the conversations in some huge electronic stores where mum and pap go buying a laptop for their small one:

"what about apple?" They ask "I heard they make good computers"

"oh no", says the shop expert "they used to. But now..." shakes head with an air of pity. 

"Take a look at this machine. You k ow apple nowadays only goes to 10. But this one goes to 11". 

Onvious ending to follow...
    tallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 94
    Sounds about right...

Though I dont care as much about the ports, the Pro model needs them.  Dongs work better and are more acceptable on machines with smaller screens (Air versions).

The Air / 12" and below models really need to move to the Ax ARM chip, and the Pro versions with larger screens have (more powerful) Intel processors.

A transformer sub 12" model would be useful as long as it's OS X (which would be complicated).

Apple has done a poor job pricing laptops... (agreed)

I currently have an Android phone + IPad + cheep PC

I'd rather have a transformer 10.5 - 12" + large screen IPhone.  

What Apple "really needs" to do is make sure they maintain their profit and growth in a sustainable fashion. 

They really do not need to fulfill individual needs, so if Mr. Spoonauer is "not satisfied" doesn't make him right. People vote with their wallets. Always have. Always will. And apple listens to this. You can argue about the speed (e.g. Mac Pro). But in the end I would expect the people in charge there in Cupertino being much more competent in such decisions than you or me. 
    radarthekatchiaredgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 94
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 492member
    Stopped taking the ratings seriously when cost and quality were grouped together.
    mikethemartianradarthekatchiapscooter63redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 94
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Apple should make all Macs with upgradable (not soldered) components like microprocessor and GPU, and mostly for RAM and SSD. Never using proprietary connectors but standard ones. Besides not charging 2 to 3 times more for the very same upgrade than resellers like Amazon (RAM, SSD, etc). That is really shocking for the richest company on planet Earth.
    edited April 2017 rhonin
  • Reply 9 of 94
    appex said:
    Apple should make all Macs with upgradable (not soldered) components like microprocessor and GPU, and mostly for RAM and SSD. Never using proprietary connectors but standard ones.
    Why? Because they would be more profitable and successful as a company?
    Or do you actually mean "Personally, I would prefer if Apple made..."?
    brakkenredgeminipaStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 94
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    appex said:
    Apple should make all Macs with upgradable (not soldered) components like microprocessor and GPU, and mostly for RAM and SSD. Never using proprietary connectors but standard ones.
    I would personally prefer it so that if I wanted to upgrade my RAM or HD I don't need to buy a whole new laptop. Until they started soldering them in, we would routinely update ram and HD's in our company laptops. 
    humanaftera11avon b7tallest skilrhonin
  • Reply 11 of 94
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    Into the 4th year on my MacBook Pro. Never made it past 2.5 years on any windows laptop. Thinking I will get 6 years or more out of this one.
    magman1979baconstangradarthekatchiapscooter63redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 94
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    One magazine’s opinion but a perfect headline for the disgruntled crowd.

tallest skil
    said:
    Which… hurts the brand?
    tallest skil  <-> Macalope      Hmmmmmmmm....
    edited April 2017 The_Martini_Catpscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 94
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
    I find the survey results to be both disappointing and not terribly surprising. The proof will be in the sales pudding, which seemed just fine during the holiday quarter. We'll see how it goes. If there's been a crack in the armor, it's in Apple's admission last week that they misjudged the pro market, both in desktops and laptops. This survey may be reflective of that.

Moore's law appears to be decelerating and I'd hoped Apple's vertical integration would allow it to buck that more than the competition. I think they've recognized this and are going to address it. Until then, I can't say people's disappointment is unjustified or uninformed.
    bdkennedy1002wonkothesaneafrodribaconstang
  • Reply 14 of 94
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Now I'm going to score two spouses using the same method:

Spouse 1:
    Loving 10/10
    Supportive 10/10
    Willingness to take out the garbage when full 2/10
    Car knowledge 4/10
    Intelligence 10/10
    Thriftyness 6/10
    Overall 7/10

Spouse 2:
    Loving 3/10
    Supportive 3/10
    Willingness to take out the garbage when full 10/10
    Car knowledge 10/10
    Intelligence 9/10
    Thriftyness 10/10
    Overall 7.5/10

So I guess that most people would prefer the second spouse because even though he or she doesn't love you or support you, the other items make up for it. (S/he hates me and the kids, but at least s/he takes out the garbage and doesn't waste money.)

TLDR: This way of looking at the world is stupid.

tallest skilThe_Martini_Catjkichlinebrucemcradarthekatchiapscooter63redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 94
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Why should price affect worse/best laptop rankings? It shouldn't. 

Imagine if they use that scenario for cars. 

As for dongles, yea it does suck but you won't have to replace your laptop when more USB-C is released. 

sockrolidredgeminipaStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 94
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Apple's laptop is ahead of its time - in a few years all laptops will only have USB-C ports. The tech community should applaud Apple for moving the masses off of slow, clunky legacy & analog ports. Windows and monitor manufacturers please, please abolish the VGA port! Ironically if Apple added the slower & older USB3 port on the new laptops, they could have avoided most of the 'outrage'. Also, for those in the market for a laptop - go to your local electronics store that sells both Windows & Macs (Best Buy, etc.) and compare firsthand the typical awful & cheap plastic build quality and poor displays on 98% of the Windows offerings. The other 2% that aren't garbage are priced like Apple's offerings.
    jkichlineradarthekatredgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 94
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    I would personally prefer it so that if I wanted to upgrade my RAM or HD I don't need to buy a whole new laptop. Until they started soldering them in, we would routinely update ram and HD's in our company laptops. 
    I'm not arguing with this idea now that it has been stated properly but ... the truth of the matter is that very few customers (maybe five percent, tops) ever do this (and yes, I have in fact done studies on this). On top of that, as much as I don't like what I'm about to say ... those five percent then don't buy new machines for far longer than average, actively hurting (to a limited extent) the company's sales. Botched upgrades were, when I was an Apple tech, the second most common reason (behind drops caused by cats, kids, or klutzes) for repairs. Since Apple sealed up most of their machines (and allowed only very limited access like with the 27-inch iMac), repairs for non-breakage has dropped (pardon the pun) to practically zero. I want Apple to make more models RAM-upgradable and SSD-upgradable like my 2012 MBP, but the reality is that they didn't stop doing that just to be mean, anymore than why they sealed the battery. The reality is that most users keep their Macs for four to five years and then buy another one. The number of "for sale" Macs you can find on any Craigslist that are un-upgraded after up to a decade of service tells the tale.
    brucemcchiaredgeminipaStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 94
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    appex said:
    Apple should make all Macs with upgradable (not soldered) components like microprocessor and GPU, and mostly for RAM and SSD. Never using proprietary connectors but standard ones. Besides not charging 2 to 3 times more for the very same upgrade than resellers like Amazon (RAM, SSD, etc). That is really shocking for the richest company on planet Earth.
    I bet Apple knows what it's doing. Besides the vast majority of owners don't upgrade a damn thing, component wise. Should Apple appease the < 20% (more likely 10%) at the cost of simplicity for the > 80%?
    chasmStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 94
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    As for Laptop's rankings, some (not all) of the criteria seems spurious and deliberately designed to punish Apple/ensure they don't win. You can argue the point about "variety of price points" a bit, but essentially Apple is being punished for not making junk models for the cheapskates, and that's the truth.
    sockrolidmike1radarthekatpscooter63chiaredgeminipaStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 94
    bulk001 said:
    appex said:
    Actually, I  personally prefer this myself as well. But this is just because coming from my historic experience. Starting with overclocking by moving some SMDs around ;) OTOH I would never think about doing the same for my washing machine (even though for sure you could upgrade it, hardware and software wise), my other appliances, or my car. No one claims that the manufacture "should make the fridge/car engine/etc  upgradable". And I would suppose that for the majority of customers the computer falls into the same category for them. Therefore, economically it wouldn't make sense for Apple to offer a feature only a few, well informed people would care about. 
    radarthekatredgeminipaStrangeDayswatto_cobra