Apple to offer 2017 Earth Day Challenge Activity achievement with iMessage stickers

Posted:
in Apple Watch
In recognition of Earth Day on April 22, Apple is creating a special "Earth Day Challenge" to reward reaching 30 minutes of exercise on the day with a special achievement badge in the Activity app, as well as stickers for use within iMessage.

To earn the achievement, users can "run, walk, cycle, wheelchair or swim" in a workout of at least 30 minutes using Apple Watch or any third-party app that writes workout data to Health Kit.

Apple appears to be incrementally adding the achievement within the iOS Activity app to users as Earth Day approaches. Twitter user Patrick in Melbourne, Australia posted an image of the Earth Day achievement (above).

Apple has previously created special achievement challenges, including last year's U.S. Thanksgiving holiday as well as a "Ring in the New Year Challenge" during the month of January.

In addition to feeling good about achievements earned in the Activity app, users also gain access to digital stickers that can be shared in iOS 10 iMessages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Will Apple have a "Participatory Award" for those that thought about exercising or started exercising but did not complete the prerequisite 30 minutes of exercise?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    The recycling initiative is a great announcement, but how about some awards for US personally doing, well, you know, something for the earth...???

Coming up on April 22nd, Earth Day....

The revelations from research in the climate and ecological sciences are highlighting the most important issue of our times (or anytime since our species started to "manage the planet." And even as Gaia's about to rise up and fire us as stewards (whether we like it or not), many of our "leaders"around the globe are trying to accelerate the mismanagement....

"The March for Science is the first step of a global movement to defend the vital role science plays in our health, safety, economies, and governments.

It's time to get off the sidelines and make a difference. Register to attend your local march (link below there are 500 locations world-wide.)

The March for Science champions robustly funded and publicly communicated science as a pillar of human freedom and prosperity. We unite as a diverse, nonpartisan group to call for science that upholds the common good and for political leaders and policy makers to enact evidence based policies in the public interest.

The march has generated a great deal of conversation around whether or not scientists should involve themselves in politics. In the face of an alarming trend toward discrediting scientific consensus and restricting scientific discovery, we might ask instead: can we afford not to speak out in its defense?

There is no Planet B. Join the #MarchForScience. "

https://www.marchforscience.com/

edited April 2017 albegarc
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    bigpics said:
    How about some awards for doing, well, you know, something for the earth...???

Coming up on April 22nd, Earth Day....

The revelations from research in the climate and ecological sciences are highlighting the most important issue of our times (or anytime since our species started to "manage the planet." And even as Gaia's about to rise up and fire us as stewards (whether we like it or not), many of our "leaders"around the globe are trying to accelerate the mismanagement....

"The March for Science is the first step of a global movement to defend the vital role science plays in our health, safety, economies, and governments.

It's time to get off the sidelines and make a difference. Register to attend your local march (link below there are 500 locations world-wide.)

The March for Science champions robustly funded and publicly communicated science as a pillar of human freedom and prosperity. We unite as a diverse, nonpartisan group to call for science that upholds the common good and for political leaders and policy makers to enact evidence based policies in the public interest.

The march has generated a great deal of conversation around whether or not scientists should involve themselves in politics. In the face of an alarming trend toward discrediting scientific consensus and restricting scientific discovery, we might ask instead: can we afford not to speak out in its defense?

There is no Planet B. Join the #MarchForScience. "

https://www.marchforscience.com/

You mean like a walk to work activity prize?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 9
    So I wanted my achievement so I did 30 mins of exercise but it wasnt in one block and I didnt get the award so I then did ANOTHER 30 mins of exercise in one block .... am now super tired AND I didnt get my achievement :-( 
    I know they have had bugs before but its demotivating when you put in the effort and don't get the promised reward.  There are enough things in this world that we don't see our efforts rewarded (like recycling) becuase too many people don't care so its not good when Apple let us down too :-(
  • Reply 5 of 9
    yveyve Posts: 1member
    I went out for a 5 mile run.  I used Endomondo which updates my health app. My health app clearly shows that I have done 5 mile - I didn't receive any badges!  Shame as it didn't work for me, although it did encourage me to go for a run lol! 
  • Reply 6 of 9
    leelgleelg Posts: 1member
    Did an outdoor walk over 30 minutes, no badge. Then completed a 40 minute rowing session, still no badge. What's up? 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I did get my reward badge. I used the Activities App on my watch for a 30 minute walk.  
  • Reply 8 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'm sorry, but I find these achievement badges and stickers completely juvenile. If I want to do something, I just do it. The exercise is its own reward.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I'm sorry, but I find these achievement badges and stickers completely juvenile. If I want to do something, I just do it. The exercise is its own reward.
    In this case, I disagree. “Achievements” in the video game industry have only done damage to the development of engaging and operationally deep entertainment. But they’re an amazing memetic tool; people go insane for them. Don’t ask me why. If that same mindless dronery can be captured for physical activity, we might get a school of slightly healthier where otherwise their lack of willpower would have kept them on their hinders.