Overcast 3.1 update puts podcasts directly on Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2017
Popular iOS podcast app Overcast has updated with the ability to sync episodes directly to an Apple Watch, letting runners and others leave home without an iPhone in tow.

The option can be invoked by tapping the Queue menu in the iPhone app's episode controls and selecting "Send to Watch." Transfers will appear in the app's Downloads screen.

Before copying the iPhone app transcodes to a smaller filesize, incorporating any speed settings at the same time. Position, recommendations, and deletions should all sync between devices.

Until now the Apple Watch has had little support for local podcast playback. Even Apple's official Podcasts app, last updated in Sept. 2016, doesn't support sync. As a workaround, one option involves manually adding podcast files to a synced Music playlist.

The Watch has relatively little storage space, which could impose limits on how many podcasts can be copied. Apple's native Music sync functions limit owners to 2 gigabytes or 250 songs.

Unlike Music, Overcast can sync files without a Watch being connected to power, but there's also no auto-sync function.

Overcast is a free download, and requires a device running iOS 10.2 or later. To go ad-free and unlock full features, however, people must pay $9.99 per year for a Premium subscription.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Just an FYI/small correction: the the Apple Watch has had support for Podcasts via the WatchPlayer app since last November. It works really well, and was the one key feature I had been wanting on my watch. 

I look forward to trying the the Overcast version of this.

It's so nice to jog without a phone and listen to podcasts!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    'Bout time! 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Since I'm feeling lazy today and can't be bothered to research it, can the Apple Watch stream audio to wireless headphones without the intervention or involvement of an iPhone?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    SpamSandwich said:
    Since I'm feeling lazy today and can't be bothered to research it, can the Apple Watch stream audio to wireless headphones without the intervention or involvement of an iPhone?

Play music from your Apple Watch

You can also enjoy music on your Apple Watch without your iPhone when you pair with Bluetooth headphones. Open the Music app, scroll up, then tap your Apple Watch to choose it as the source. Then scroll back down and tap any of these options:

• Now Playing. Play or pause what's currently playing on your Apple Watch.
    • My Music. After you sync a playlist to your Apple Watch, you can browse your music by Albums, Artists, and Songs. 
    • Playlists. Use the steps below to sync a playlist to your Apple Watch.