Volkswagen makes iPhone internal standard, Capital One adopts Mac & Apple Watch

Posted:
in iPhone
Two more large corporations -- German automaker Volkswagen, and U.S. bank Capital One -- are deploying Apple products as internal standards, Apple CEO Tim Cook said during the company's quarterly results call.

The iPhone is now the "corporate standard smartphone" for Volkswagen's approximately 620,000 global workers, Cook revealed. He didn't go into details, but the policy presumably means that Volkswagen's mobile tools are being built with the iPhone in mind, and/or that the company is selecting the iPhone when assigning or discounting devices.

Capital One is equipping associates with Macs and Apple Watches, Cook continued. The bank is said to be using "over 40" native iOS apps, running on "nearly 30,000" iPhone and iPads.

AppleInsider has reached out to both companies for more information.

Cook also commented on existing enterprise partnerships with firms like IBM, SAP, and Cisco. With IBM specifically, he said that MobileFirst iOS apps are being used in "more than 300,300 client engagements," and that IBM will soon be deploying 11,000 iOS devices at an unspecified bank.

Apple is a relative newcomer to the enterprise space. While its products have been used by major corporations for years, for a long time the company didn't even have a dedicated enterprise team, preferring to concentrate on the consumer market.

The latter focus remains, but in recent years corporate sales have helped boost the company's bottom line while cementing iOS as a mobile standard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    But, but, but... Surface is destroying the Mac as we watch.
    lostkiwimdriftmeyerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 31
    lkrupp said:
    Maybe this story has several typos. "Capital One is equipping associates with Surfaces and Microsoft Watches, Nadella continued. The bank is said to be using 'over 40' native Windows apps, running on 'nearly 30,000' Nokias or something and Surfi."
    edited May 2017 SpamSandwichjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Being associated with the disgraced Volkswagen Group is not something to brag about.
    MisterKitFatman
  • Reply 4 of 31
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Re Capital one... this is an "interest"-ing development for Apple... (capital one using interest from CC's... /groan)
  • Reply 5 of 31
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    volcan said:
    Being associated with the disgraced Volkswagen Group is not something to brag about.
    Oh come on now. Whatever manipulation VW did was definitely not worse than what any other car manufacturer has been doing for many years (and maybe on an even bigger scale). VW was just the unlucky one to be caught and publicly criticized and I'm by no means defending what VW did, but if you want to be completely fair, let's judge all car companies for their shady activities. And I say this while not even owning (or even liking) VW as a car brand. And I don't know how about the US, but here in Europe I believe all the negative press actually helped VW and their sales (I would even say this was one of the main reasons they recently became the #1 car maker worldwide). So if this article is really true then that's a huge achievement imho, VW is an ENORMOUS company and having Apple products as corporate standard... RESPECT Tim Cook & co.
    SpamSandwichthinkman@chartermi.netmike12old4funlostkiwibrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31
    lkrupp said:
    Some figures, please. Oh, just pulled your comment out of your ass? What a shocker!
    brucemc
  • Reply 7 of 31
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Yawn.
    brucemc
  • Reply 8 of 31
    pepe779 said:
    ...here in Europe I believe all the negative press actually helped VW and their sales

Volkswagen's share of new car registrations in the EU from March 2016 and March 2017

• Reply 9 of 31
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    pepe779 said:
    volcan said:
    Oh come on now. Whatever manipulation VW did was definitely not worse than what any other car manufacturer has been doing for many years (and maybe on an even bigger scale). VW was just the unlucky one to be caught and publicly criticized and I'm by no means defending what VW did, but if you want to be completely fair, let's judge all car companies for their shady activities. And I say this while not even owning (or even liking) VW as a car brand. And I don't know how about the US, but here in Europe I believe all the negative press actually helped VW and their sales (I would even say this was one of the main reasons they recently became the #1 car maker worldwide). So if this article is really true then that's a huge achievement imho, VW is an ENORMOUS company and having Apple products as corporate standard... RESPECT Tim Cook & co.
    Are you serious? What VW did was really bad. Sure, other auto manufacturers do shady things but nothing to the scale of what VW did. The negative press didn't help VW in Europe much. What helped VW was their sales in China, where they don't sell diesel engines. 
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    volcan said:
    pepe779 said:
    ...here in Europe I believe all the negative press actually helped VW and their sales

Volkswagen's share of new car registrations in the EU from March 2016 and March 2017

Blimey. Let's hope the negative press doesn't "help" any more. :-/
  • Reply 11 of 31
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    "What's the difference between a VW onboard computer and an iPhone?"
    "I don't know. What?"
    "You can't hack/fudge data on the iPhone."
  • Reply 12 of 31
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    pepe779 said:
    volcan said:
    This is the oddest defence of VW  :) The fact that you suspect others to be guilty of the same or similar crimes, and possibly on a grander scale, is hardly a valid excuse. By the same token as one is innocent until proven guilty, one is also guilty when caught, unlucky or not. 
  • Reply 13 of 31
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Deloitte, the world's largest professional services firm is heavily vested in Apple's mobile products for it's employees - creating specialized custom apps for internal use and clients. With over 240,000 employees!, I believe it's Apple's largest enterprise customer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    volcan said:
    Oh please. I'll take their business, thank you very much.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    volcan said:
    I'm amazed at the mental gymnastics used to move the goal posts and in general hate on Apple. Amazing.  
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 31
    volcan said:
    I'm amazed at the mental gymnastics used to move the goal posts and in general hate on Apple. Amazing.  
    To clarify it was not my intent at all. Apple being perhaps the most reputable and ethical company on the planet associated with a company that engaged in one of the most devious and unethical plots does not sit well with me. I'd sell them all the iPhones they wanted but I would not mention it publicly.
    edited May 2017 MisterKit
  • Reply 17 of 31
    pepe779 said:
    volcan said:
    Are you serious? What VW did was really bad. Sure, other auto manufacturers do shady things but nothing to the scale of what VW did. The negative press didn't help VW in Europe much. What helped VW was their sales in China, where they don't sell diesel engines. 
    “These new test results [from Emissions Analytics] prove that the Volkswagen scandal is just the tip of the iceberg. What we are seeing here is a dieselgate that covers many brands and many different car models.”

I hope you can use search engines and look up more details yourself if you're interested.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Rayz2016 said:
    volcan said:
    pepe779 said:

Blimey. Let's hope the negative press doesn't "help" any more. :-/
    VW overtook Toyota and became the world's biggest car maker last year, about a year or two after the diesel scandal surfaced. Of course I'm sure you'll say it's pure coincidence. Bad marketing often works just as well as good marketing, that's all I'm saying. Again, look up the details yourself, it's all publicly available.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    volcan said:
    volcan said:
    To clarify it was not my intent at all. Apple being perhaps the most reputable and ethical company on the planet associated with a company that engaged in one of the most devious and unethical plots does not sit well with me. I'd sell them all the iPhones they wanted but I would not mention it publicly.
    So,it's okay to be associated with the devil if you don't mention his name?  Is that the rule you're applying?  
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 20 of 31
    radarthekat said:
    So,it's okay to be associated with the devil if you don't mention his name?  Is that the rule you're applying?  
    If the devil wanted an iPhone, Cook would be obligated by the shareholders to sell him one, but he doesn't have to go to lunch with him.
    king editor the grate