Why Apple is expected to stick with Lightning over USB-C in the new 'iPhone 8'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    ROCKY IV!!! But anyway I don't see a point in switching. The potential reasons for switching? Charging speed, transfer speed, physical strength. Those all might be better on USB-C than lightning but better enough to warrant changing the physical port on iOS devices? No. There is already a giant ecosystem of lightning accessories and why bother to change it again for a few negligible benefits? Apple also loses out on exclusivity of the port (though that is a positive for consumers). How many consumers actually use their iOS device for anything that would benefit from any of those things? Very few. Maybe at some point in the future, the benefits will be big enough and the USB-C ecosystem large enough to make it a smooth transition, but for now it seems like there is little to gain and much frustration to cause by doing it.
    mac_128Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 65
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:
    A bag of hurt, not a bucket.

And yes, Lightning cables are one of the flimsiest cables imaginable and are not near durable enough for their intended purpose.
    Not my experience. And generally speaking, while I have seen complaints about the quality of Apples cables, and indeed have had my issues with their fashion designers approach to the cables rather than a practical one, many third party cables don't suffer from that issue, and are quite robust and reliable. None of that, however, has anything to do with the superiority of the connector itself given its intended purpose. I'd choose a Lightning connector any day over a USB-C one for my iPhone and iPad. I do wish they'd offer USB 3 speeds already since Lightning is more than capable of offering them, but that's a whole other criticism than the issue you've taken up here.
    bb-15pscooter63
  • Reply 23 of 65
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    ROCKY IV!!! But anyway I don't see a point in switching. The potential reasons for switching? Charging speed, transfer speed, physical strength. Those all might be better on USB-C than lightning but better enough to warrant changing the physical port on iOS devices? No. There is already a giant ecosystem of lightning accessories and why bother to change it again for a few negligible benefits? Apple also loses out on exclusivity of the port (though that is a positive for consumers). How many consumers actually use their iOS device for anything that would benefit from any of those things? Very few. Maybe at some point in the future, the benefits will be big enough and the USB-C ecosystem large enough to make it a smooth transition, but for now it seems like there is little to gain and much frustration to cause by doing it.
    Apple will come up with a third standard connector: Lightning C which will be smaller but more expensive and require a dongle to connect to everything else.
    Tim Cook will say of the new dongle:   "This is the best dongle ever made by Apple" and Jonny Ive will do a video: "When we realized we had a million dongles at our house and in our cars we knew it was time to rethink the dongle.   We've created a new metal to meet the power requirements of the iDongle".   The new Apple car will be recharged using the iDongle.   In 3 years it will be replace by the iDongle Pro.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    k2kw said:
    Apple will come up with a third standard connector: Lightning C which will be smaller but more expensive and require a dongle to connect to everything else.
    Tim Cook will say of the new dongle:   "This is the best dongle ever made by Apple" and Jonny Ive will do a video: "When we realized we had a million dongles at our house and in our cars we knew it was time to rethink the dongle.   We've created a new metal to meet the power requirements of the iDongle".   The new Apple car will be recharged using the iDongle.   In 3 years it will be replace by the iDongle Pro.
    You're being facetious I feel, but you're right in a sense. It's clear Apple is moving toward wireless charging, and elimination of all ports in the process. However, there will always be a need, albeit limited on a mobile device, for a physical wired connection for the foreseeable future. When Apple abandons the Lightning connector, it won't likely be for another invasive physical connector; instead it will be something like the SmartConnector on the iPad Pro. So yes a new dongle to replace the current native Lightning dongles, but if Apples being generous it will be a SmartConnector adapter designed to accept a Lightning cable, thus preserving a customers existing investment in Lightning products. Moving to USB-C doesn't gain them anything (like one less port to support), but comes with all the headaches of adapting Lightning products, and supporting native USB-C products.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 25 of 65
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    How about Apple make lightening interface as open standards with improvements if needed to use for laptops than everyone can use it like nano sim. Now, you have lightening ports everywhere from phones to laptops to set-tops to TVs to all kinds of gadgets..
    edited May 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 65
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    wood1208 said:
    How about Apple make lightening interface as open standards with improvements if needed to use for laptops than everyone can use it like nano sim. Now, you have lightening ports everywhere from phones to laptops to set-tops to TVs to all kinds of gadgets..
    1) How would the MFi program work if Apple did that?

2) I want the removable, physical SIM card to go away completely, not continue to become an even smaller piece of plastic with a short string of data.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 65
    DCJ0001 said:
    "the Fresco Logic FL1100SX host controller allows for Apple's 29W USB-C adapter that ships with the 12-inch MacBook to charge the hefty iPad nearly three times faster than the standard iPad adapter."

No. It does not. 

It charges the 12.9" iPad Pro about two times as quickly.
    You need to frame your statement differently because the 29W USB-C MacBook charger can not only charge the 13" iPad Pro 3x as fast, it also far exceed it.

Here are a couple comments from the, above, link:

• It'd take 1 hour and 33 minutes for the 29W adapter to charge an iPad Pro from 0% to 80%; the 12W model would need 3.5 hours.

• In 10 minutes with the screen turned off, the 29W adapter charged the iPad Pro by 9.7%; the 12W adapter charged it by 2.9%.

The first sentence is 2.26x as fast, and the second sentence shows a percentage increase of 3.34x as fast for the comparable duration. I'm assuming you're wanting to go from 0 to 100% with the screen off and the iPad otherwise not in use. If so, the first set of results in the, above, image would indicate that 2x is undercutting a bit as to 80% it's 2.29x as fast, but that 3x would really wrong way to go if rounding to a whole number since by the time you reach 80% you're no longer benefiting from fast charging.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 65
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I'll say what I said last time this came up. They will most likely ship a USB-C charger and a C to Lightning cable with iPhones (and iPads) this year. They may include a USB-A to Lightning cable as well for people who still need it to connect to a computer. They will upgrade the chipset to allow faster charging and data transfer (either the same as in the 12.9" iPad Pro, or an upgraded version to allow for full 3.1 Gen 2 speeds).

Of course, my predictions are worth no more or less than anyone else's - I have no insight or connection to Apple's supply chain, I'm just going with what I think they'll do. If they don't do what I think, that's my problem, not theirs (I'm not going to claim they tried to do it, but the tech wasn't ready/the chips weren't available/the connector was the wrong shade of puce...)

Of course, my other prediction, about the Personal Defence Field that will shield the device and user from impact damage, is definitely going to happen, and if it doesn't it's just because they couldn't get the field colour in Rose Gold.

watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 29 of 65
    How much weight can the USB-C and Lightening ports support before the phone/device disconnects from the cable? Example, if my iPhone 7 drops off my bedside table to the floor I can grab the connected cable and slowly pull the iPhone back up and the Lightening connector supports the phones weight. Can USB-C do this?
    watto_cobrarandominternetpersonargonaut
  • Reply 30 of 65
    karlgkarlg Posts: 3member
    Has anyone compared the physical dimensions of the USB-C female connector / socket? It is much larger than the Lightning female connector on the bottom of the iPhone 6 onwards. At least a couple of millimeters thicker which is a HUGE difference in size.

Remember that Apple contributed the USB-C physical connector to the USB organization. If they thought that it was superior to Lightning then I think that would not have happened.

USB-C is an industry standard that is governed by a set of capabilities, rules and restrictions that Apple does not control. Lightning is an Apple-designed and owed standard that offers flexible pin assignment and Apple can add additional capabilities at any time without needing industry approval. Apple likes that a lot :smile: 

I expect, as the article also postulates, that future devices may eventually be entirely reliant upon wireless technologies - we are virtually there already.
    watto_cobrapalomine
  • Reply 31 of 65
    How much weight can the USB-C and Lightening ports support before the phone/device disconnects from the cable? Example, if my iPhone 7 drops off my bedside table to the floor I can grab the connected cable and slowly pull the iPhone back up and the Lightening connector supports the phones weight. Can USB-C do this?
    Yes, USB-C has a snug fit, at least with the 12" MacBook's 29W charger and USB-C cable, but I couldn't tell you which can hold more weight.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    karlg said:
    I expect, as the article also postulates, that future devices may eventually be entirely reliant upon wireless technologies - we are virtually there already.
    I sure hope not, and I doubt it. Even the Apple Watch has a physical port for service and that's about as wireless as you get. Even if they move to faster wireless and induction charging I expect we'll still have a physical port for resetting, servicing, and for faster charging and syncing, the latter of which is really handy when you get a new device so I'm really hoping USB 3.0 speeds arrive this year for iDevices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 65
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    anome said:

I'll say what I said last time this came up. They will most likely ship a USB-C charger and a C to Lightning cable with iPhones (and iPads) this year. They may include a USB-A to Lightning cable as well for people who still need it to connect to a computer. They will upgrade the chipset to allow faster charging and data transfer (either the same as in the 12.9" iPad Pro, or an upgraded version to allow for full 3.1 Gen 2 speeds).

Of course, my predictions are worth no more or less than anyone else's - I have no insight or connection to Apple's supply chain, I'm just going with what I think they'll do. If they don't do what I think, that's my problem, not theirs (I'm not going to claim they tried to do it, but the tech wasn't ready/the chips weren't available/the connector was the wrong shade of puce...)

Of course, my other prediction, about the Personal Defence Field that will shield the device and user from impact damage, is definitely going to happen, and if it doesn't it's just because they couldn't get the field colour in Rose Gold.

Why not take the opportunity presented by this mixed need to drop the cables and power brick out of the box and replace them with eVouchers on the device themselves that can be claimed anytime from any Apple reseller.
    For the customer:-
    - If i'm going overseas I might save an eVoucher to pick up a local plug charger.
    - If away from my usual locations and need a cable it's not sitting in a random box at home.
    - Headphone voucher could even be used to get a discount off other compatible headphones or free lightening pods.
    For Apple:-
    - All devices leave the factory in the same thin box with more in each shipping box that can be shipped anywhere in the world.
    - They can claim this as an Eco measure.

Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 65
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    These articles blindly miss the entire reason Apple moved to Lightning: To move the hardware dependencies for video out and any other standard, whether it exists today or not, outside of the iDevice and into the cord. 

Look at the construction of the HDMI cables - they're basically small iPod touches that run a firmware that converts digital airplay video to hdmi output - that complexity removed from idevices means that Apple can slim down he logic boards which saves space and cost. There is no way to support HDMI alternate mode out on USB-C without reverting that. 

Not it to mention Apple controls everything about the standard: iOS devices flash the firmware to cords, they can implement any future connector, it handles the handshake for wireless pairing... Apple got a lot of crap for pushing the maximum voltage on Macs with USBA, none of those things would be possible if they used USBC 

This reason ALONE is why Apple will never move to USB-C on iPad or iPhone.
    edited May 2017 watto_cobramac_128palomineargonaut
  • Reply 35 of 65
    DCJ0001DCJ0001 Posts: 63member
    Soli said:
    DCJ0001 said:
    "the Fresco Logic FL1100SX host controller allows for Apple's 29W USB-C adapter that ships with the 12-inch MacBook to charge the hefty iPad nearly three times faster than the standard iPad adapter."

No. It does not. 

It charges the 12.9" iPad Pro about two times as quickly.
    You need to frame your statement differently because the 29W USB-C MacBook charger can not only charge the 13" iPad Pro 3x as fast, it also far exceed it.

Here are a couple comments from the, above, link:

• It'd take 1 hour and 33 minutes for the 29W adapter to charge an iPad Pro from 0% to 80%; the 12W model would need 3.5 hours.

• In 10 minutes with the screen turned off, the 29W adapter charged the iPad Pro by 9.7%; the 12W adapter charged it by 2.9%.

The first sentence is 2.26x as fast, and the second sentence shows a percentage increase of 3.34x as fast for the comparable duration. I'm assuming you're wanting to go from 0 to 100% with the screen off and the iPad otherwise not in use. If so, the first set of results in the, above, image would indicate that 2x is undercutting a bit as to 80% it's 2.29x as fast, but that 3x would really wrong way to go if rounding to a whole number since by the time you reach 80% you're no longer benefiting from fast charging.
    The article says "almost three times faster. "This is not even close to being true.

My "two times as fast" statement is based on my experience (20% to 100%) multiple times.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 36 of 65
    mattinoz said:
    anome said:

Why not take the opportunity presented by this mixed need to drop the cables and power brick out of the box and replace them with eVouchers on the device themselves that can be claimed anytime from any Apple reseller.
    - If i'm going overseas I might save an eVoucher to pick up a local plug charger.
    - If away from my usual locations and need a cable it's not sitting in a random box at home.
    - Headphone voucher could even be used to get a discount off other compatible headphones or free lightening pods.
    - All devices leave the factory in the same thin box with more in each shipping box that can be shipped anywhere in the world.
    I've made the same argument. The EU made a big deal about mobile PSUs ending up in landfills, yet now I have so many 5W iPhone PSUs that I could start my own landfill.

Now, vouchers may have a finance hurdle since it's an open-ended, as presented, but even if they have to make extra considerations I'd still think Apple comes out ahead on not including headphones and PSUs in the iDevice boxes.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    jare500jare500 Posts: 1member
    I very much hope Apple stays with Lightning. Wired data transfer speeds are largely irrelevant these days as the majority of people back up their phones via iCloud, so transitioning for that is, in my mind, solving a problem most people don't have. What most iPhone users do have, however, are a plethora of lightning cables acquired over many years and many devices. As it happens, I work for a large cellular carrier in the United States and sell iPhones and competing android devices. In my experience, lightning tends to fare better in terms of durability. USB-C has its pins in the middle of the port. As a result, they tend to break more easily and damage the phone. Lightning ports have their pins around the exterior of the port. As a result, the cable is much more likely to be damaged in the event of an accident than the phone itself, which is a huge advantage (much cheaper to buy a new cable than to repair/replace a phone). I think lightning should be the last port in iOS devices before the transition to completely wireless charging/data transfer solutions. 
    SoliRayz2016watto_cobramac_128argonaut
  • Reply 38 of 65
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    mattinoz said:
    anome said:

Because Apple want people to be able to start using any product out of the box. You've got your new phone, but you don't have a way to charge it or connect it to your computer? Cue anger at Apple trying to get extra money out of people for essential components. And yes, I realise you said "include an e-voucher", but that's not much use to someone who doesn't already have an iPhone, and can't get to the Apple Store (and doesn't want to wait the minimum day delivery for a web order).

Having too many cables or power bricks is not the problem Apple are concerned with, they are concerned with providing a good user experience for everyone, especially new users. That means having everything they need to start using the phone straight away in the box.

• Reply 39 of 65
    anome said:
    mattinoz said:
    anome said:

Because Apple want people to be able to start using any product out of the box. You've got your new phone, but you don't have a way to charge it or connect it to your computer? Cue anger at Apple trying to get extra money out of people for essential components. And yes, I realise you said "include an e-voucher", but that's not much use to someone who doesn't already have an iPhone, and can't get to the Apple Store (and doesn't want to wait the minimum day delivery for a web order).

Having too many cables or power bricks is not the problem Apple are concerned with, they are concerned with providing a good user experience for everyone, especially new users. That means having everything they need to start using the phone straight away in the box.

They ship from the factory charged, and it's pretty ease to let people decide on which model they want, to star). Even if just $20 less expensive. which is less than buying new headphones and a PSU, that's still a savings for me since I don't need another 5V PSU and never use the included earbuds.

The headphones are pretty simple, but the PSUs have more materials that are bad for the environment and more costly. Perhaps they should have a program to recycle them, along with your iPhone when you return it with the Apple Upgrade Program. It may even be feasible to test, clean, wrap, and re-issue them with future devices.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    boredumb said:
    The chassis part for Lightning is literally a hairs-breath thinner than the same for USB-C.
    "Literally"???  I feel like I've walked into an SNL skit...
    I'm not sure what you mean by "chassis"...the 'inserting' part, or the housing behind it?
    The housing behind it.
    Thanks, that helps...but, the housing size isn't particularly relevant, is it?  It's the relative size of the insert -
    wasn't that one of Apple's reasons (aside from all its other improvements) for designing it as they did,
    that it's 'footprint' within the phone, enabled a thinner iPhone/iPad profile than the old 30-pin would allow for...?