Amazon announces premium touchscreen $230 Echo Show, allowing Alexa to 'show you things'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Amazon's voice-driven personal assistant Alexa is going visual, via the online retailer's new high-end Echo Show, a $230 tabletop personal assistant featuring a 7-inch touchscreen, 5-megapixel camera, and dual 2-inch stereo speakers.

Notably, the Amazon Echo Show is only available for preorder, as the product will not be released until June 28. That's three and a half weeks after Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, where the company is rumored to unveil its own standalone Siri home speaker to compete with Amazon's Echo lineup.

Apple's take on the always-listening home assistant is rumored to also be a premium-priced device, boasting high-end audio with one woofer and seven tweeters. Unlike the Amazon Echo Show, however, Apple's product is not expected to feature a display, and there have been no indications that it will have a camera either.

Among the features that the Echo lineup with gain with a touchscreen include video flash briefings, music lyrics, live feeds from security cameras, weather forecasts, to-do and shopping lists, and more.

Amazon will also allow users to voice or video chat with friends and family who have an Echo or the Alexa app on iOS or Android.

The stereo speakers are advertised as "room-filling" and boast Dolby processing. And the system includes eight microphones with beam-forming technology and noise cancelation, allowing the system to hear users from anywhere in a room, even when music is currently playing.

To incentivize preorders, Amazon is offering a $100 discount for customers who buy two or more Echo Show devices, using the code SHOW2PACK.

The flagship touchscreen Echo Show first leaked online last week, so Tuesday's announcement was anticipated. Apple, meanwhile, is said to be planning to unveil its Siri home speaker as soon as next month at WWDC, which kicks off in San Jose on June 5.

As rumors of Apple's Echo competitor heat up, it's possible that Amazon chose to preannounce the Echo Show in an effort to steal some of its rival's thunder. Still unknown is when Apple's rumored product could hit the market -- reports have vaguely suggested it's on track for release in the second half of 2017.

Apple's speaker is rumored to borrow some design cues from the Mac Pro, boasting a cylindrical shape and concave top with physical controls available. It's believed that the system will be driven by a powerful custom CPU equivalent to an A8 processor or newer.

It has also been said that Apple's model will feature a custom W1 Bluetooth chip for easy pairing to new accessories, and it will integrate AirPlay support for high-fidelity audio quality over Wi-Fi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 153
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    They certainly didn't waste any money on design, did they? It kind of looks like a plastic "Future Phone" you could have bought at RadioShack back in the day...
    patchythepirate1983igorskyargonautmonstrositypscooter63frankieravnorodomwatto_cobrachristopher126
  • Reply 2 of 153
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Does not speak to high confidence if you discount the product with a promo upon your release announcement.
    Metriacanthosauruswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 153
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Mmm.  When I first saw the design I just assumed it was a prototype. 

bdkennedy1002pscooter63watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 153
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Google and Facebook will be all over this...Ads, Ads, we must show more Ads. Such an innovator Bezos is....10 year old technology. What if Apple came to market with all the technology they have...take a glance at PatentlyApple.com
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 153
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    kent909 said:
    Does not speak to high confidence if you discount the product with a promo upon your release announcement.
    I think they are going to sell a lot of these.
  • Reply 6 of 153
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
     I love it when billionaires tell me that all I need is love...
    igorskyargonautpscooter63watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 153
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    NY1822 said:
    Google and Facebook will be all over this...Ads, Ads, we must show more Ads. Such an innovator Bezos is....10 year old technology. What if Apple came to market with all the technology they have...take a glance at PatentlyApple.com
    I think you're ignoring the market potential here. It looks perfect for a system meant to keep kids, parents and grandparents connected.
    1983doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 153
    MAU47MAU47 Posts: 9member
    While the design is ugly, I hope this is what Apple comes out with for FaceTime. I think its fairly clear whatever they do will have a screen based on the comments last week. Everyone in my family and extended family has an iPhone but I am the only one with an Echo, so it would be nice to be able to use something like this to chat with. I would even be happy with a camera add-on for the Apple TV especially if they add PIP as rumored for tvOS 11.
  • Reply 9 of 153
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    This is essentially a repackaged tablet.  Who will pay $230 on such a cheap tablet?
    pscooter63doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 153
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    NY1822 said:
    1) How is Alexa 10 year old technology?

2) Why would you think this will have ads from Google and Facebook when this is an Amazon controlled device? Does Alexa currently push ads out before or during a query?
    1983doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 153
    MAU47MAU47 Posts: 9member
    kent909 said:
    I think it's more about selling multiple devices and providing an incentive to buy 2 or more. This device doesn't really shine until you multiple or your friends all have them.
  • Reply 12 of 153

kent909 said:
    I can see it selling more than units than the original Echo.
  • Reply 13 of 153
    MAU47 said:
    kent909 said:
    I think it's more about selling multiple devices and providing an incentive to buy 2 or more. This device doesn't really shine until you multiple or your friends all have them.
    Yeah, that seems clear by the multiple examples of video calling. They've done this with the Echo when it first arrived and with the Echo Dot when you buy multiple units.
  • Reply 14 of 153
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    NY1822 said:
    I think you're ignoring the market potential here. It looks perfect for a system meant to keep kids, parents and grandparents connected.
    I agree there may be a market going forward as this should be the new norm....it was more on how the media is drooling over Bezos as an innovator today....Apple can't do what these other companies can do and release a product that sells 8-9 million in 3 years...
    igorskyargonaut
  • Reply 15 of 153
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Amazon should license this thing to refrigerator manufacturers.
    SpamSandwichargonautMetriacanthosaurusoneof52doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 153
    Soli said:

kent909 said:
    I can see it selling more than units than the original Echo.
    How many was that again?
  • Reply 17 of 153
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    NY1822 said:
    Perfect too if you want to see the product you just asked Alexa to find/add to shopping list. I see this ad perhaps more successful than Amazon's current Echo products which I assume will remain available for the foreseeable future.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 18 of 153
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    NY1822 said:
    NY1822 said:
    I agree there may be a market going forward as this should be the new norm....it was more on how the media is drooling over Bezos as an innovator today....Apple can't do what these other companies can do and release a product that sells 8-9 million in 3 years...
    Buffett too was "drooling over Bezos" in comments this week, calling him "the most remarkable business person of our age". 
    http://fortune.com/2017/05/05/warren-buffett-amazon-bezos-ibm/
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 19 of 153

Soli said:
    MAU47 said:
    kent909 said:
    Yeah, that seems clear by the multiple examples of video calling. They've done this with the Echo when it first arrived and with the Echo Dot when you buy multiple units.
    Video calling is a false siren. It kinda sucks. Why? Because since each person is looking at their own screen neither one is looking at the camera, which means neither party can maintain eye contact while speaking. This is faked in almost every single marketing image (or movie or tv show) involving video chat. Case in point in the Echo-vid-chat image above the woman is staring right into the camera, which means she is not looking at the image of her dad or whoever on the screen itself as we the receiver of the marketing image are. It's faked yet again.
    edited May 2017 patchythepirateargonautdigital_guyroundaboutnowpscooter63[Deleted User]
  • Reply 20 of 153
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    The only innovation to Echo Show is the services provided by Amazon.  lol