Ford updates 2016-model vehicles with support for Apple CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone
Ford on Friday issued a software update for 2016-model vehicles equipped with its SYNC 3 platform, enabling support for Apple's CarPlay, as well as Google's Android Auto.

Wi-Fi-equipped vehicles should upgrade automatically so long as they have the appropriate option turned on and can connect to a network before the engine is turned off, Ford said. The automaker noted that this is in fact the first time it has delivered an update over Wi-Fi.

Owners of cars without Wi-Fi will have to download the update from owner.ford.com and install it via a USB drive, or else visit a Ford dealership.

CarPlay and Android Auto are already supported on all 2017-model Fords with SYNC 3, such as the Fiesta, Focus, and Mustang.

Today's update makes Ford one of the most prolific supporters of CarPlay, competing with the likes of Chevrolet and Kia. Volkswagen is likely the standard's biggest backer, although several of the compatible models it sells aren't available in the U.S.

Retroactive support has been one of the biggest obstacles to CarPlay adoption. While Apple launched the platform in 2014, automakers didn't begin offering it en masse until the 2016 model year, and then mostly on new vehicles. Only Kia and Hyundai are currently making the technology available on 2014 and 2015 models.

Aftermarket head units are available from the likes of Alpine, Sony, and Pioneer, but typically cost several hundred dollars apiece.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I wish FCA would do this with their existing 8.4" uconnect systems. :( They only seem to be interested in rolling this out for 2017 models instead. 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 2 of 16
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I bought a new 2015 Ford Edge Sport last year, and this is the one regret I have of buying it as it has the highly-maligned Ford Sync 2 option.  Horrible doesn't even begin to describe it and with minimal options available to get CarPlay in it.

A 3rd-party vendor does have a kit that replaces the entire system with a system from a 2016 model.  Unfortunately, that's a $2K price tag and it will almost certainly void my car's warranty.  What a bummer.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    sflocal said:
    I bought a new 2015 Ford Edge Sport last year, and this is the one regret I have of buying it as it has the highly-maligned Ford Sync 2 option.  Horrible doesn't even begin to describe it and with minimal options available to get CarPlay in it.

A 3rd-party vendor does have a kit that replaces the entire system with a system from a 2016 model.  Unfortunately, that's a $2K price tag and it will almost certainly void my car's warranty.  What a bummer.
    Ford Sync 2 isn't bad at all in my 2015 F-150 from my experience. First generation was terrible until Ford started doing it in house. I highly doubt upgrading will void your Edge's warranty. Third party vendors are using genuine Ford parts. Aftermarket parts is where you can void your warranty. Sync 3 is so much better though. I have it in my other Ford. I do have the parts to upgrade my F-150 to Sync 3, just haven't had the time to do it. It's not too difficult to upgrade. 
    edited May 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Come on, Subaru, you can do this too!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    @Boltsfan17, where did you get the parts?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    About flippin' time! Toyota? Hello?

From my experience, Carplay is certainly not perfect, but it's still far better than virtually every other factory system I've used. Daughter has a 2016 Camry and it just doesn't compare.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    What Ford doesn't say: dealer modification (replacement) to the existing USB port will be necessary to use CarPlay in 2016 models. Install cost approx $75 to 100. This "update" was announced in Jan 2016 and set for release in Summer of 2016. Then, it was delayed to Autumn. Then to "later this year". Then to "by the end of the year". And that was the last announcement. Ford's style of customer communication is nothing short of problematic.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    rrabu said:
    @Boltsfan17, where did you get the parts?
    I have a friend at one of the local dealerships and he got them for me. You can purchase the parts on eBay or any online Ford parts store. Lots of large dealerships in the country have online parts stores. You need the Sync 3 APIM and a new screen to upgrade. The biggest issue is you will need a Ford IDS scan tool to program the APIM for your specific vehicle model. If you don't know anyone with one of those, best option is buying a kit from eBay that already comes programmed. I believe they run around $1,200. 
  • Reply 9 of 16

2stepbay said:
    What Ford doesn't say: dealer modification (replacement) to the existing USB port will be necessary to use CarPlay in 2016 models. Install cost approx $75 to 100. This "update" was announced in Jan 2016 and set for release in Summer of 2016. Then, it was delayed to Autumn. Then to "later this year". Then to "by the end of the year". And that was the last announcement. Ford's style of customer communication is nothing short of problematic.
    That's not true. It was in Ford's press release you need a USB hub upgrade. 

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/05/19/ford-sync-3-software-update-apple-android-2016-vehicles.html
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 10 of 16
    flashfan207flashfan207 Posts: 291member
    Yes! Awesome!!! I've been hoping Ford would do this since we bought our Flex last year. I will be doing this today for sure! Makes an absolutely amazing car even more so. 
  • Reply 11 of 16
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    I wonder if Toyota's resistance to CarPlay is what is dragging their sales down.  I personally would not buy a car unless it could at least be shoe-horned into the vehicle after living with my aftermarket Alpine unit.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Not all 2016 models; only those with SYNC3.  The 2016 Fusion, for instance, has SYNC with MyFordTouch, and therefore can't be upgraded to CarPlay.  It does have Siri EyesFree, though.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    badmonk said:
    I wonder if Toyota's resistance to CarPlay is what is dragging their sales down.  I personally would not buy a car unless it could at least be shoe-horned into the vehicle after living with my aftermarket Alpine unit.
    My local dealer called and asked if I was looking to replace my Toyota Pious+

I asked if they supported Car Play. 

They said no. 

I said goodbye. 

• Reply 14 of 16
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Rayz2016 said:
    badmonk said:
    My local dealer called and asked if I was looking to replace my Toyota Pious+

I asked if they supported Car Play. 

They said no. 

I said goodbye. 

I would rent the model car that I might be interested in with CarPlay to test it first.  Same for Andriod Auto.  Siri has to be a lot better for me to be interested in CarPlay.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I bought a Ford c-max energi 2016, equipped with SYNC3 and wifi, the update did not show up so I went and downloaded the installer from the website put it on a 64Gb flash drive and got the message "the installer ran out of space or is not for this model"
  • Reply 16 of 16
    ACXACX Posts: 1member
    I bought a Ford c-max energi 2016, equipped with SYNC3 and wifi, the update did not show up so I went and downloaded the installer from the website put it on a 64Gb flash drive and got the message "the installer ran out of space or is not for this model"
    I had the same problem until I realized I unzipped the downloaded file in my mac, there is something wrong with the slash or backslash,  if you did so, use the terminal and then the command unzip "Downloaded Filename", (commands <ls> and <cd> might be useful) then copy the files (So far I remember two files in root and one directory) in an empty USB drive and plug it in the car.
     It should work flawlessly!