Drag-and-drop for iPhone enabled by tweaks in Apple's iOS 11 beta code

Posted:
in iPhone
Though the upcoming technology is reserved for iPads, drag-and-drop can be enabled for the iPhone by making a few adjustments to the iOS 11 developer beta, according to a series of tweets.

The feature is gated only by an "/AppleInternal" folder, and settings in a preferences PLIST file within UIKit, developer Steve Troughton-Smith said on Twitter. Several simulator videos show it working as expected, though the single-window view on iPhones means users may have to tap buttons with their other hand to reach locations they want to paste to.

Troughton-Smith speculated that Apple might be reserving iPhone support for this fall's "iPhone 8," which should have a virtual home button instead of a physical one. A virtual button might be "springloaded" for drag-and-drop, the developer said.

iPad support appears to be a major focus of iOS 11, given not just drag-and-drop but additions including a Mac-like dock, a Files app, and easier multitasking. By combining picture-in-picture, Split View, and Slide Over all at once, users can even have four apps onscreen simultaneously.

The "iPhone 8" is rumored to have a 5.8-inch OLED screen though, which along with a virtual home button may make it more conducive to features like drag-and drop. It should be announced at a September press event, even if it might ship later in the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Wow!  Apple needs to release that!  Fantastic!  Some times I just want to DD and not use the Share button. 

Apple, if you read these forums, please please release this in Ios11. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    I don't see the point of giving the iPhone user this option. The screen is too small and you have to use two fingers. Most people hold their phone in their hand when in use. This featur was released on iPad alone to boost iPad sales!
  • Reply 3 of 6

It would be useful only if we could load apps side by side on the iPhone. Otherwise I wonder what the point is. I probably need to press and hold with one finger, then bring the app carousel up (which would, judging by the way it works right now, lose the press and hold) and then select an app to drop it into.

That sounds feasible, but cumbersome.

I don't think Apple will be too fussed about how it is exposed on the iPhone for now. They may secure it a bit better in the GM.

edited June 2017
  • Reply 4 of 6
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Drip, drip, drip....
    The distinction between IPads and MacBooks gets a little more blurry...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member

It would be useful only if we could load apps side by side on the iPhone. Otherwise I wonder what the point is. I probably need to press and hold with one finger, then bring the app carousel up (which would, judging by the way it works right now, lose the press and hold) and then select an app to drop it into.

I don't think Apple will be too fussed about how it is exposed on the iPhone for now. They may secure it a bit better in the GM.

The drag and the normal user interface work apart, once the drag is started the finger holding the dragged object is ignored for handling, any other manipulations or interactions all work as normal.
    In the keynote video we see the springboard has been rewritten to use this mechanism, long press to wiggle the apps, press with one finger to pick up an app, tap on other apps with another finger to add them to the selection then simply side swipe to change pages before dropping. No more sliding to the edge and hoping to move back before the next page has scrolled past too quickly.

• Reply 6 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator

Drag and drop between apps outside of split view isn't ideal for touch devices, having to press and slide over the screen. They can get round it by having a drop-bucket so as soon as you drag something, a pocket can show in the corner of the screen and you can throw a bunch of things into it from different apps. Then navigate to where you want to put them and drop the items out of the corner pocket. This would make it easier to deal with moving files in the Files app too.
    edited June 2017