First look: Apple launches iPad Pro in new 10.5" form factor with vibrant 120Hz screen

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2017
Just over a week after Apple took the wraps off of its new 10.5-inch iPad Pro, the new premium touchscreen tablet is now available and finding its way into the hands of consumers. AppleInsider offers a first look at Apple's new 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

Out of the box, the new iPad Pro feels familiar. In fact, it wasn't until we put it side-by-side with a 9.7-inch iPad Air 2 that we were able to perceive the slight size difference with the larger 10.5-inch display -- an achievement accomplished with a new, thinner bezel.

More immediately apparent, after the iPad Pro was powered on, is the stunning new display, which runs at a buttery smooth 120Hz. Just going through the initial setup process, we were immediately struck by how fluid the screen is with the framerate increase.

Left: 9.7" iPad Air 2. Middle: 10.5" iPad Pro with True Tone display. Right: 12.9" 2015 iPad Pro.

No video will properly capture the improvement seen with the new display -- you must simply experience it for yourself to fully appreciate it.

As with the previous iPad Pro, the external design is largely the same, including the unfortunate camera bump on the rear shell. The 10.5-inch iPad Pro boasts four speakers, a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and Lightning port, and magnetic Smart Connector.

Also immediately noticeable upon startup: The 10.5-inch iPad Pro runs iOS 10. To really unlock the power of this tablet, customers will have to wait until this fall for the release of iOS 11 -- or deal with the bugginess of beta releases until then.

Having relied on iOS 11 on our iPad Pro for the last week, going back to iOS 10 is certainly a step backwards. iPad owners and prospective 2017 iPad Pro buyers waiting for the upcoming public release of iOS 11 will certainly be in for a treat when the revamped platform arrives later this year.

Announced last week, Tuesday was the first day the 2017 iPad Pro lineup began to make its way into the hands of consumers. In addition to delivered preorders, the new iPad Pro is also available at Apple retail stores.

AppleInsider will have much more on the new 10.5-inch iPad Pro in the coming days and weeks, including our full review. For the latest discounts and availability, please visit our 10.5-inch iPad Pro Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    A bright picture which iPad displays would visually look on photos better Now you have black iPads which display a picture who’s has black at its edges. This makes it more difficult to appreciate the size change, because there is no clear separation between display and bezel.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Does anyone have a 12.9” new iPad Pro? Not one reviewer seemed to get one.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    urahara said:
    A bright picture which iPad displays would visually look on photos better Now you have black iPads which display a picture who’s has black at its edges. This makes it more difficult to appreciate the size change, because there is no clear separation between display and bezel.
    Teach me Chinese sometime.
    badassbriggsmike1tipooboltsfan17Nameo_
  • Reply 4 of 22
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Got mine today. Stuck iOS 11 on it straight away then restored my backup from my 12.9 pro. Bugs are pretty minimal as I have been using iOS 11 since the keynote, on both the iPad 12.9 and my personal 7plus. Now enjoying it on the 10.5. 
  • Reply 5 of 22
    ireland said:
    Does anyone have a 12.9” new iPad Pro? Not one reviewer seemed to get one.
    We have one coming soon! 
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Ugh that camera nub. Won't it get scratched up when only using the smart cover? So unApple like.
    harry wildnetmagevlscout
  • Reply 7 of 22
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    schlack said:
    Ugh that camera nub. Won't it get scratched up when only using the smart cover? So unApple like.
    I have 9.7 Pro for almost a year and nope, the camera bump does not give any problem whatsoever. It's just in people's mind when they see the image like above. Believe me, they are stronger than they look.

I am only interested in one thing with this new iPad Pro: the 120 Hz display! (is it the same thing as 120 FPS?) That is one hell of display.
    mike1StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    chickchick Posts: 35member
    Got notice that my 2017 12.9" iPad Pro has shipped and should be here by Friday. Same for my wife's 10.5" Pro - usually she waits awhile but she had to order right away too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    My friend received his 12.9 today. Was amazed how smoothly he could scroll through pages without any ghosting etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    schlack said:
    It's made of sapphire. Won't scratch
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    uktechieuktechie Posts: 67member
    I'm typing this on my new iPad Pro 10.5" and I'm delighted with it. 

The striking features for me, having upgraded from an iPad Air 2 are:

1. Brightness, colour and deep blacks: The display looks stunning with photos and videos and significantly better than on my iPad Air 2.

2. Stunning stereo sound. The stereo effect is excellent, and the volume, bass and clarity are superb.

3. Speed and smoothness of the UI. Everything is really slick and smooth with not the slightest hint of lag. The CPU power and 120Hz display work really well together to achieve this. 

I loved the iPad Air 2 and was always astonished by the quality of the display and sound but they seem quite poor now compared with this new iPad. 

I guess anybody upgrading from an iPad Pro will be less impressed but if you've got an iPad Air 2 or older iPad the upgrade is a real delight. 

The only downside for me, is the extra weight - at 487g, the 256GB cellular iPad Pro is 9% heavier than my 128Gb cellular iPad Air 2. I hadn't appreciated this in advance but it's a minor inconvenience. Perhaps I'd better replace my old MacBook Pro 15" with a new one to compensate...

The iPad Pro is slightly bigger than the old Air too - not a massive increase and less noticeable than the weight difference your old case won't fit.
    irelandnetmagetgr1watto_cobrabshank
  • Reply 12 of 22
    kevin kee said:
    schlack said:
    I am only interested in one thing with this new iPad Pro: the 120 Hz display! (is it the same thing as 120 FPS?) That is one hell of display.
    They aren’t “frames” as the screen isn’t playing a film. Hertz are cycles per second. But tbh I’m unsure how it relates to FPS. You’d be inclined to think they are the same thing but it’s not clear to me that they are. E.G. a video shot a 120 FPS appears to slow down, but a 120 Hz iPad display smoothens interactions and visuals and in some ways (drawing latency) appears to speed up; your interactions do not slow down. I could make what I consider are some obvious assumptions, but I’d lack the expertise to know.

Another example is most TVs are 50 or 60 Hz, but they don’t seem to mess with a 24 FPS film—quite a different number. And some 120 Hz TV displays with certain settings active completely ruin the filmic look of a standard 24 FPS movie making actors appear to move in a hyper-robotic fashion and the picture can appear very digital and unreal or inhuman and fake (it could be another setting and reason, but I’ve never seen a 50-60 Hz TV do similar crap). Hence why I assume Apple throttles Hz for certain kinds of content. Thankfully they have the sense to do this. Judging by the out-of-box experience of some TVs I doubt other makers would be as smart.
    edited June 2017 mike1kevin keeNameo_
  • Reply 13 of 22
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    ireland said:
    kevin kee said:
    schlack said:
    They aren’t “frames” as the screen isn’t playing a film. Hertz are cycles per second. But tbh I’m unsure how it relates to FPS. You’d be inclined to think they are the same thing but it’s not clear to me that they are. E.G. a video shot a 120 FPS appears to slow down, but a 120 Hz iPad display smoothens interactions and visuals and in some ways (drawing latency) appears to speed up; your interactions do not slow down. I could make what I consider are some obvious assumptions, but I’d lack the expertise to know.

Another example is most TVs are 50 or 60 Hz, but they don’t seem to mess with a 24 FPS film—quite a different number. And some 120 Hz TV displays with certain settings active completely ruin the filmic look of a standard 24 FPS movie making actors appear to move in a hyper-robotic fashion and the picture can appear very digital and unreal or inhuman and fake (it could be another setting and reason, but I’ve never seen a 50-60 Hz TV do similar crap). Hence why I assume Apple throttles Hz for certain kinds of content. Thankfully they have the sense to do this. Judging by the out-of-box experience of some TVs I doubt other makers would be as smart.
    FPS describe the frames played back per second and Hz is the number of times the display is refreshed per second.  If you record at 120fps and play it back at 120fps it plays at normal speed.  If you play this back on a 60Hz display you will essentially see every other frame but it will play back at normal speed.  If you match the playback FPS to the display Hz e.g. 120 down to 60 the video will play at half speed.  If you play back footage at 24fps on a screen that only supports 60Hz or 50Hz you start to see judder in tracking/panning shots as frames are skipped or only partially displayed. Most modern displays support multiple frequencies.

Some displays try to smooth out FPS and Hz differences by creating frames to make up the difference, whilst this can work well for sports it causes the hyper real images during movies which you described above.
    tgr1kevin kee
  • Reply 14 of 22
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member

[...snip...]

As with the previous iPad Pro, the external design is largely the same, including the unfortunate camera bump on the rear shell. The 10.5-inch iPad Pro boasts four speakers, a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and Lightning port, and magnetic Smart Connector.

[...snip...]

Nice review, thanks.  BTW, some of your readers, such as myself, don't find the camera bump unfortunate. Maybe that bit should have been left out. 
    mike1
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Nice but hold for an iPad Mini Pro!
    netmage
  • Reply 16 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    urahara said:
    Huh?
    netmage
  • Reply 17 of 22
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    Got my 10.5" iPad pro yesterday.  Upgraded from an iPad Air (1st gen).  Air still works fine, but was getting a bit long in the tooth during processor rich applications.  Also, the hardware has gone through some serious changes since then (stereo speakers, true tone display, 120Hz, thumbprint sensor) so I decided it was time for an upgrade.  Couldn't be happier.  This is truly a marvel of a product.  The interaction is flawless.  Scrolling, navigation, pinch and zoom work in ever application with zero lag, it's remarkable.  The larger screen is a nice addition too.  Multitasking (for what iOS 10 offers) works well too.  Can't wait to see what iOS 11 brings to the table.  

I upgrade my iPhone each year. Lately, the improvements are noticeable, but phones are so powerful I'm not blown away when the new model is released (as far as speed).  Back during the iPhone 3/4/5 model refreshes, things seemed more dramatic to me with each upgrade.  Going from the Air to the 10.5" pro feels like one of those mega upgrades, where you're fine with the old model, but when you experience the latest processor, memory, etc. all working in unison it's just a whole new interaction with the device.  
    netmage
  • Reply 18 of 22
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Nice but hold for an iPad Mini Pro!
    You will be waiting a long time...
  • Reply 19 of 22
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    mike1 said:
    urahara said:
    Huh?
    What he means is he wants to use his iPad as a digital picture frame to hang on the wall. 
  • Reply 20 of 22
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I looked at a few in an Apple Store today. What can I say ? I just have no interest in them.

Put a phone in it and make it the size of a Plus model iPhone and I'll buy it :smiley: