Very sad...and psychology.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Look at this:

<a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54842-2002Nov1.html"; target="_blank">Whatever you do, don't install software!</a>

The report is written for children, but it makes me sad that people would be told to use their computers in this way.

I'm often setting up Macs for people, and perception is an interesting thing--if they believe and trust that the system isn't going to choke and frek out, people take more risks, try multimedia apps, live a little...

...but if you believe that your machine will explode because you (gasp!) INSTALLED something, it makes it very hard to believe it will be robust, even if you are running the very solid Windows XP.

Comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually, i run into this mindset on a day-to-day basis in my work. people who use PC's are deathly afraid to install anything. they've had horrid experiences with software in the past crapping out their machines, and then been unable to get them up and running well again without reformatting and reinstalling everything.

i've always felt it defeated the purpose of owner a computer if you're afraid to use it.

i think that is a significant difference between Macs and PC's, n00bs aren't afraid to do things on their Macs. i think it's mainly due to Apple's being perceived as nicer to their owners, less finicky.

i'd also say this is in large part to the fact that often times what people install are these small time screen savers, shareware programs etc. that put all sorts of weird crap onto their PC. stuff that isn't really documented well and that doesn't go away after you've uninstalled the orginal app.

it's one reason i use macs now, i can actually play around with them without worrying.

one of the last software installs i did on my PC fried win2k and i had to reformat my entire machine to get it running again. 80GB of data lost for stupid ass cd burning software. that was the last straw for me, i don't install anything now unless it's been out for months, and i know people with the same OS who are running it. it's annoying.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    On my Quadra 610, if I was saving a file and clicked on the "New Folder" button in the "Save..." dialog box, the machine would always give me a Type 11 error. I clean installed, and it still did it. It always did it. I never started using that button again until OS X...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Heh, funny how different experiences are on the windows side when it comes to installing software. I've been using VPC lately and I'm still ticked off everytime I Get that 'close all open programs' dialog. I don't do it, but I install the software anyway.

On the OS X side, if I need to quit my programs (or a program quits them FOR me) I'm ticked and probably won't install the program at all. Hell, I don't even like to have to reboot my computer (SW update's been sitting in the dock for a few days telling me about the QT an AP updates).

I love drag-n-drop installers. They have to be one of the best things about using a mac.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Heh, funny how different experiences are on the windows side when it comes to installing software. I've been using VPC lately and I'm still ticked off everytime I Get that 'close all open programs' dialog. I don't do it, but I install the software anyway.

On the OS X side, if I need to quit my programs (or a program quits them FOR me) I'm ticked and probably won't install the program at all. Hell, I don't even like to have to reboot my computer (SW update's been sitting in the dock for a few days telling me about the QT an AP updates).

I love drag-n-drop installers. They have to be one of the best things about using a mac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yea thats annoying as hell, I wish that software installers wouldn't do werid things like that, just the other night I updated QT and ATI drivers, both ask for a reboot...I did QT first(cause it lets you get away without rebooting) then ATI...but due to a lockup I ended up rebooting three times anyway.

oh and your not the only thread killer....almost every thread I touch ends with me either no one wants to haer what I have to say, or I arrive to late after everything has already been said and all the anecdotes are spent.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    At work we installed some piece of software that had a modified version of some system dll on my NT 4.0 workstation laptop. After the install we had to re-boot the box but the OS would not boot because the modified dll had a missing entry point. It took 8 hours to rescure my laptop. What a pain in the ass.