Facebook hits two billion active monthly users amidst call for community building

Posted:
in General Discussion
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced in a post that the social network has hit 2 billion monthly users, and has renewed his call to bring the world closer.

In the Facebook posting, Zuckerberg reiterated remarks he made at an event during a user rally on June 22. In the face of declining participation in community events, Zuckerberg wants users to find "a sense of purpose and support" on his platform.

"We started a project to see if we could get better at suggesting groups that will be meaningful to you. We started building artificial intelligence to do this. And it works. In the first 6 months, we helped 50 percent more people join meaningful communities." Said Zuckerberg at the event. "If we can do this, it will not only turn around the whole decline in community membership we've seen for decades, it will start to strengthen our social fabric and bring the world closer together."

Zuckerberg wants one billion of his two billion-strong user base to join one of the meaningful communities that are popping up on the site.

"People who go to church are more likely to volunteer and give to charity -- not just because they're religious, but because they're part of a community," said Zuckerberg. "A church doesn't just come together. It has a pastor who cares for the well-being of their congregation, makes sure they have food and shelter. A little league team has a coach who motivates the kids and helps them hit better. Leaders set the culture, inspire us, give us a safety net, and look out for us."

The move is not entirely devoted to the good of the world. Facebook generated $4.23 per user in the first quarter of 2017. It intends to grow this income generated per user in part by launching high-budget scripted TV shows by late summer, directly competing against services like Amazon Video, Netflix, and Apple Music.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Facebook is a mess.
    baconstangmacseekernapoleon_phoneapartcgWerkspscooter63tallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 36
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    ireland said:
    Facebook is a mess.
    Apparently not enough of a mess that two billion people per month are using it consistently.

peterhartanton zuykov
  • Reply 3 of 36
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    sflocal said:
    ireland said:
    Facebook is a mess.
    Apparently not enough of a mess that two billion people per month are using it consistently.

Sounds like the number that consume Big Macs.
    irelandmacseekerpscooter63tallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Facebook is the face of social media. They have been leading the tech world and haven't dropped the ball in years. No wonder they're in the position they are. Their work in events is mind blowing, it's something I've wanted since I was a kid, and now I get to use it all the time.
    peterhart
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Facebook is the face of social media. They have been leading the tech world and haven't dropped the ball in years. No wonder they're in the position they are. Their work in events is mind blowing, it's something I've wanted since I was a kid, and now I get to use it all the time.
    Type "Amen" or like/share if you agree! Unfortunately, only 3% of you will have the courage to share this.

While you're at it, take this grammar test designed for fourth-graders to make yourself feel feel smart. And don't forget to share!
    irelandanton zuykovrandominternetpersonk2kwpscooter63tallest skil
  • Reply 6 of 36
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Total lie, there is no way they have this number of users per month.
    Probably count people that are logged in through OAUTH in another site, that's probably 1/2 the loggins per month.
    Those people aren't really using FB directly though.

The fact Z boy waited that long before using those community, or promoting involvement in communities in any ways means he's obviously not sincere at all and he's just trying to milk the cow some more.

This kind of thing is something I thought FB would do 8 years ago and he's just woke-up now! No wonder people, even his now wife, first though of him as a slacker.
    edited June 2017 baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 36
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,077member
    sog35 said:
    sflocal said:
    ireland said:
    Facebook is a mess.

no where near 2 billion people use facebook.

There are literally tens of millions of fake accounts, ghost accounts, one time use accounts.

I'd say the actual users are closer to a billion than 2 billion
    Facebook tries to account for those kinds of things - e.g., duplicate and fake accounts. Obviously they can't do so with complete accuracy (or precision).

An account that was only used once wouldn't be counted in the MAUs metric unless its single use was within the last 30 days.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,077member

foggyhill said:
    Probably count people that are logged in through OAUTH in another site, that's probably 1/2 the loggins per month.

The fact Z boy waited that long before using those community, or promoting involvement in communities in any ways means he's obviously not sincere at all and he's just trying to milk the cow some more.

This kind of thing is something I thought FB would do 8 years ago and he's just woke-up now! No wonder people, even his now wife, first though of him as a slacker.
    For DAUs and MAUs, they only count people who have logged in and visited their website (to include through mobile devices) or who have used the Messenger app (if they are a registered user).
  • Reply 9 of 36
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    sflocal said:
    Well, it's purposely designed to have to constantly use it or it becomes fairly useless. And, it's not exactly like most of those 2B people are taking the down-sides into account (nor do most people seem to care much about quality).

The reason FB is doing so well is that they've now got SO much data on those people that they can target like crazy for a marketer's dream. They are selling those 2B people like crazy... and most of these people don't seem to care... yet.

I have to have accounts there. It's a terrible platform though. It's especially a terrible platform 'to bring people together in community' which seems to be the objective here. Facebook's groups are absolutely horrible and nearly unusable. I've joined a bunch of them, but gave up bothering with them for the most part. If you don't hang out in them 24x7, they are useless for any serious communication.

Then why do people implement them? Free and the claim that 2B people are already there. Quantity vs quality.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Won't be much longer until the EU goes after Facebook for being a "social network monopoly"... LMAO!
  • Reply 11 of 36
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    cgWerks said:
    sflocal said:
    Well, it's purposely designed to have to constantly use it or it becomes fairly useless. And, it's not exactly like most of those 2B people are taking the down-sides into account (nor do most people seem to care much about quality).

The reason FB is doing so well is that they've now got SO much data on those people that they can target like crazy for a marketer's dream. They are selling those 2B people like crazy... and most of these people don't seem to care... yet.

I have to have accounts there. It's a terrible platform though. It's especially a terrible platform 'to bring people together in community' which seems to be the objective here. Facebook's groups are absolutely horrible and nearly unusable. I've joined a bunch of them, but gave up bothering with them for the most part. If you don't hang out in them 24x7, they are useless for any serious communication.

Then why do people implement them? Free and the claim that 2B people are already there. Quantity vs quality.
    Two billion people is a very impressive base to have.  Your opinions on their diabolical intents with all that user data, or how you feel their groups are set up does not negate the issue.  

Any other company would kill to have that kind of access every day.

• Reply 12 of 36
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    sflocal said:
    ireland said:
    Facebook is a mess.

Or, at least two billion people are a mess...
  • Reply 13 of 36
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Facebook needs to be replaced. I haven't figured out how to block the spam. There are very few of the posts I receive that I want to receive. It's awful. Almost everything that i see is clickbait,  and fake. 

• Reply 14 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    larryjw said:
    Facebook needs to be replaced. I haven't figured out how to block the spam. There are very few of the posts I receive that I want to receive. It's awful. Almost everything that i see is clickbait,  and fake. 

Solution: Stop using Facebook. It's really quite easy.
    pscooter63tallest skil
  • Reply 15 of 36
    There's also this issue of Facebook breaking the open web, which John Gruber ranted about, quoting Dave Winer's article.

Avinash Koushik, Google's digital marketing evangelist, cautions repeatedly against giving primacy to Facebook presence over that of the company web site or blog. Coincidentally, his latest article exhorts people to stop all social media activity, albeit in a business context. :)
    edited June 2017 cgWerks
  • Reply 16 of 36
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    larryjw said:

Or delete it completely. I deleted my Facebook a year ago. Don't miss it at all.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 36
    takeo said:
    larryjw said:

Or delete it completely. I deleted my Facebook a year ago. Don't miss it at all.
    I don't think you actually deleted Facebook.  I was just on it a few minutes ago.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    carnegie said:

foggyhill said:

For DAUs and MAUs, they only count people who have logged in and visited their website (to include through mobile devices) or who have used the Messenger app (if they are a registered user).
    Are you working for FB, sounds like you are by your tone. I don't trust that bozo Zuckerberg at all; he's extremely untrustworthy by his past actions.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    sflocal said:
    ireland said:
    Facebook is a mess.

Sounds like the number that consume Big Macs.
    And coffee, cigarettes, narcotics, and alcohol.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    What is amazing is that people use a site like Facebook with such a horrible interface and with a brutan negative impact on productivity.
    tallest skil