Apple launches first public beta of macOS High Sierra

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2017
After a false start earlier this week, Apple on Thursday issued the first public beta of macOS High Sierra, available to anyone registered with the company's Beta Software Program.

People interested in testing out the preview can sign up at beta.apple.com. Apple is recommending that users install the software only on a secondary Mac, and make a backup of that device beforehand.

The new code is listed as build 17A291m, marking a slight revision from the second developer beta, which was build 17A291j. Indeed Apple has reissued the latter using the new build -- it's not yet clear what adjustments have been made.

High Sierra is due to launch as a free update this fall. The software will support standards like Metal 2 and H.265/HEVC video, and transition to the Apple File System, already in use on iOS 10.3.x devices. Apple is also planning miscellaneous upgrades to apps like Photos, Mail, and Safari.

By spring 2018, the OS will officially support external Thunderbolt 3 GPUs, enabling high-level graphics normally reserved for gaming PCs and workstations.
freethinking

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I just put this on my work Mac and it just totally messed up everything!!!! Apple can't do anything right! How do I go back to Sierra?

/s
    SolilkruppSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 54
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member
    Here goes nothing !!!

Jumping in, head first, on my every day iMac 2012.

• Reply 3 of 54
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Here goes nothing !!!

Jumping in, head first, on my every day iMac 2012.

Daring. Just make sure you report any bugs you find to Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    macxpress said:
    I just put this on my work Mac and it just totally messed up everything!!!! Apple can't do anything right! How do I go back to Sierra?

/s
    This is a beta. Saying Apple can't do anything right because a beta messed up your system is ridiculous. You have no one to blame but yourself here.

if this was the final version that would be different; but you should know the risks going in with beta software.
    mwhitemacky the mackymacseekerstevenozseanismorris
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Ofer said:
    macxpress said:

/s
    This is a beta. Saying Apple can't do anything right because a beta messed up your system is ridiculous. You have no one to blame but yourself here.

if this was the final version that would be different; but you should know the risks going in with beta software.
    Note the "/s"
    williamlondonlamboaudi4
  • Reply 6 of 54
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Ofer said:
    macxpress said:

/s

Note the "/s"

Maybe there's a corollary to Poe's Law, possibly the Shea-Wilson Corollary: Even clearly labelling something as satire, parody, or sarcasm is no guarantee that it will not be taken seriously by some people.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member
    Daring, I say.
    Yes, I always provide feedback to Apple.

I even check marked to upgrade to APFS
    Hoping all goes well

• Reply 8 of 54
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    I always install beta on my main computer (have no other) and have no backups :) it never failed till now. Just started my installation, so pretty curious about the result :)
  • Reply 9 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    anome said:
    Ofer said:
    macxpress said:

/s

Note the "/s"

Maybe there's a corollary to Poe's Law, possibly the Shea-Wilson Corollary: Even clearly labelling something as satire, parody, or sarcasm is no guarantee that it will not be taken seriously by some people.
    "The sarcasm gambit".
  • Reply 10 of 54

riverko said:
    I always install beta on my main computer (have no other) and have no backups :) it never failed till now. Just started my installation, so pretty curious about the result :)
    Surely you are kidding.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    APFS with self-repair as ZFS has?
  • Reply 12 of 54
    OK, now I get it.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 13 of 54
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member

riverko said:
    Surely you are kidding.
    Why? 

If you're not doing anything critical with the computer (e.g. you're not a programmer or designer or something that requires you to use the laptop) then at worse you get some crashes (you should have your data backed up anyway regardless if you run a beta or a stable OS).

Tons of people who don't need the computer for full everyday work (e.g. students, geeky people at no-PC requiring jobs etc) go ahead and install betas. And indeed, most of the time public betas are already stable enough, with most things having been ironed out at internal alphas and early developer betas. Usually you just find some random crashes in some programs, or some other programs not being compatible with the new system libs, etc.

edited June 2017
  • Reply 14 of 54
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    You wouldn't think a public beta would be so bad as to really screw things up. Surely Apple has tested it. Nevertheless I wouldn't touch it.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    foljs said:

riverko said:
    Surely you are kidding.
    Why? 

If you're not doing anything critical with the computer (e.g. you're not a programmer or designer or something that requires you to use the laptop) then at worse you get some crashes (you should have your data backed up anyway regardless if you run a beta or a stable OS).

Tons of people who don't need the computer for full everyday work (e.g. students, geeky people at no-PC requiring jobs etc) go ahead and install betas. And indeed, most of the time public betas are already stable enough, with most things having been ironed out at internal alphas and early developer betas. Usually you just find some random crashes in some programs, or some other programs not being compatible with the new system libs, etc.

If there is anything at all of value on the computer, it would be an idiotic thing to do.
  • Reply 16 of 54

riverko said:
    Surely you are kidding.
    I too do it on my main machine because like original poster I have no other... well not true I do have my wife's one.

I have all my stuff on iCloud and have 0 issues with either so I know that's I'm good to go. I only have one maybe two apps that I have not downloaded from Mac App Store so I'm confident that if it all goes pear shaped I can roll back to Sierra normally if I need to.

Best way to test is to use it extensively and therefore a main machine makes a lot of sense in many respects.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 54
    So far So good, but the machine is working away at something.
    Also, I see TWO Macintosh HD's in my Finder side bar.
    It is working away, so I am going to let it keep doing its thing, then I will reboot in a few hours, or when it settles down.

• Reply 18 of 54
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    anome said:
    Ofer said:
    macxpress said:

/s

Note the "/s"

There are just some things you don't joke about.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

riverko said:
    Surely you are kidding.
    I too do it on my main machine because like original poster I have no other... well not true I do have my wife's one.

I have all my stuff on iCloud and have 0 issues with either so I know that's I'm good to go. I only have one maybe two apps that I have not downloaded from Mac App Store so I'm confident that if it all goes pear shaped I can roll back to Sierra normally if I need to.

Best way to test is to use it extensively and therefore a main machine makes a lot of sense in many respects.
    I've installed betas in the past on my main computer. I always create a new partition before I do it though. If there are too many bugs, I'll just get rid of the partition the beta is on. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 20 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

riverko said:
    Surely you are kidding.
    I've done it a few times...however, I have no problem if I have to wipe my Mac. Its really no big deal to me and I'm not going to complaining on every Apple forum about how it screw up my Mac if it happened to do so. Its not like my job or something depends on it. For the same reasons, when the full version is released, I always do an erase and install of macOS. Every time Apple releases a major macOS update there are issues and I fully believe most of them come from upgrading from your previous version of macOS. 

You could also make a 2nd partition and install the beta on it. Then if you get sick of using it, or if you just want to go back to Sierra, you just reboot back to your main partition. I've done this in the past as well. 

Lately, I've just wanted to be surprised by the OS, meaning using it for the first time when Apple actually releases it rather than being spoiled by beta releases. I guess its old school, but lately, I like this approach. 
    edited June 2017