RFID tech expansion in iOS 11 allows Apple iPhone to authenticate goods, buy on the spot

Posted:
in iPhone
With the introduction of iOS 11, security company WISeKey's WISeAuthentic solution for brand protection will be compatible for the first time with Apple's iPhones.

Starting with iOS11, Apple supports the NFC Forum's NDEF NFC Data Exchange Format (NDEF) tags, making WISeKey's solutions instantly available. Data read by the app is encrypted end-to-end, with any stored data retained in a server in a secure vault.

The technology is in use now for authentication of goods, like wines. A different deployment of the same technology can broadcast personalize messages to the phone holder on status of the product, like if the bottle has been opened or not.

The company notes that the technology isn't limited to authentication, and can be used to process contactless payments through WISeKey's partnership with MasterCard.

A developer resource published after the Worldwide Developer Conference keynote shed light on the inclusion of the technology in iOS 11. OTher uses for the expansion of the technology include a wireless interface negotiation with gym equipment by tapping a device on an NFC reader, which subsequently opens a two-way wireless communication session for transferring information like heart rate and equipment speed and angle.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Is this or similar or even connected to the rumored Amazon food stores where you just walk out with your cart?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I think Amazon Go is something completely different. The store has to be set up specifically for self-checkout. Something like that is hard for me to imagine as a lot of stores in NYC have security guards on the lookout for shoplifters. Trying to convince the guard, saying, "...but these goods I have are supposed have been paid for with Amazon Go." "Yeah, sure. Come with me quietly and don't put up a struggle."
  • Reply 3 of 5
    indiekidukindiekiduk Posts: 381member
    Can't see NFC tags on products replacing barcodes any time soon until they can be printed on paper.

it seems apple decided not to implement RFID reading in their NFC API meaning payment systems won't be possible. However it be something they could offer to certain partners that pay a premium for the entitlement.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 4 of 5
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This is the kind of thing that could use an Ethereum-based blockchain verification system. 
  • Reply 5 of 5
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    I think Amazon Go is something completely different. The store has to be set up specifically for self-checkout. Something like that is hard for me to imagine as a lot of stores in NYC have security guards on the lookout for shoplifters. Trying to convince the guard, saying, "...but these goods I have are supposed have been paid for with Amazon Go." "Yeah, sure. Come with me quietly and don't put up a struggle."
    Could you not require the customer to have their wireless payment card in their hands when they walk in, as well as when they walk out, then whatever they walk out with inside their bags or cart is automatically charged to the wireless card they have as soon as they cross the threshold leaving the store? Doesn't seem to complicated.
    edited July 2017