Honda makes 2018 Ridgeline next truck to get Apple's CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
Honda has added another pickup truck -- the 2018 Ridgeline -- to its stable of vehicles compatible with Apple's CarPlay, which bridges Siri and iPhone apps with with dash interfaces.

To get CarPlay, Ridgeline buyers must pay extra for an 8-inch Display Audio touchscreen, which also supports Android Auto. The base model of the truck starts at $29,360, but trims can range up to $43,120.

Far fewer trucks support CarPlay compared with compacts, sedans, and SUVs. Some notable exceptions include the likes of Ford's F-150, the GMC Sierra, and Honda's 2017 Ridgeline.

Honda has announced a slate of CarPlay-compatible vehicles in the past few months. The most notable addition may be the 2018 Fit -- previously, CarPlay was completely absent from the Fit line, despite the presence of the platform on other popular Honda cars like the Civic and the Accord.

Two automakers, Volvo and Scania, have added CarPlay to semi trucks used by professional drivers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The 2017 model had both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
    zroger73
  • Reply 2 of 9
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    "Far fewer trucks support CarPlay compared with compacts, sedans, and SUVs. Some notable exceptions include the likes of Ford's F-150, the GMC Sierra, and Honda's 2017 Ridgeline."

It even says in the article the 2017 model supported CarPlay.  Was this from a Honda PR release that got lost on someone's desk for a year?
    zroger73
  • Reply 3 of 9
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Haha! I've been using CarPlay in my 2017 Ridgeline RTL-E that I bought in June of 2016.

AI needs a fact-checking department.

appletim
  • Reply 4 of 9
    appletimappletim Posts: 14member
    What is the point of this article? The 2017 Ridgeline has CarPlay today.
    zroger73
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I have a 2017 Ridgeline. It has carplay. I use it all the time. 
    zroger73
  • Reply 6 of 9
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Bottomline here...the 2017 model year already has it. :smiley: 

In fact correct me if I'm wrong, but I think pretty much all Honda vehicles have it in the 2016 or 2017 model year, at least as an option if its not standard. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    The 2016 Pilot doesn't have it with any trim and Honda has said they won't be updating it like other manufacturers have done (Ford, Kia, Mazda, Hyundai and probably more). 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    2017 has it.
    2018 has it, too! Notable, because we shouldn't lose ground here. Remember, there's a movement among car mfrs and car radio OEMs that supply mfrs to come up with their own universal interface to replace CarPlay and Android Auto. I'm hoping it doesn't go anywhere, but it's out there, and worth monitoring.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    vmarks said:
    2017 has it.
    2018 has it, too! Notable, because we shouldn't lose ground here. Remember, there's a movement among car mfrs and car radio OEMs that supply mfrs to come up with their own universal interface to replace CarPlay and Android Auto. I'm hoping it doesn't go anywhere, but it's out there, and worth monitoring.
    That doesn't change the fact that the title of this article and the very first sentence are misleading. The headline leads readers to believe that Honda added another truck in addition to the Ridgeline and that the 2018 year model is the first to gain CarPlay compatiblity - neither of which are true.

"Honda makes 2018 Ridgeline next truck to get Apple's CarPlay"
    "Honda has added another pickup truck..."

Honda only makes one truck - the Ridgeline. There's no "next truck". The 2018 model is identical to the 2017 model in that both support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto on the RTL-T, RTL-E, and Black Edition trims.

A more appropriate title for this article would be, "The 2018 Honda Ridgeline continues to support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto". The Ridgeline didn't get CarPlay for 2018 - it already had it for 2017. It's uncommon for a popular, new feature to be dropped, so it is safe to assume once a vehicle gains a feature, it will continue with that feature for the next year model.

This article is not only misleading, but also poorly written.

"Honda has added another pickup truck -- the 2018 Ridgeline -- to its stable of vehicles compatible with Apple's CarPlay, which bridges Siri and iPhone apps with with dash interfaces."