Apple 'iPhone 8' to reportedly launch in October or November sans white bezel option

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2017
Amid rumors of supposed production delays, a report on Wednesday claims Apple's forthcoming "iPhone 8" handset is slated for unveiling in September alongside incremental improvements to the iPhone 7 series, but the device won't see launch until late 2017.

Citing sources within Apple's Asian supply chain, Mac Otakara reports the company plans to announce "iPhone 8" at its annual fall event, which traditionally takes place in September. The next-generation handset is unlikely to see release with its "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus" stablemates, however, and will instead launch in October or November.

Beyond a later than usual debut, there is a high possibility that "iPhone 8" supply will be strictly limited during its initial launch period, the report says.

In addition to apparent supply constraints, sources claim the handset's front frame color options will be limited to black. The report appears to refer to iPhone's front cover glass. Contemporary iPhone models sport an LCD display bonded directly to a protective glass cover that comes complete with black bezels formed using specialized ink.

Why Apple is unable to utilize white ink on iPhone 8, as it does with current iPhone 7 and 7 Plus models, is unclear. If accurate, the information suggests Apple is either employing a new bezel masking material or is seeing issues with existing paint technology. Alternatively, the company might be looking to implement an all new bezel material never before seen on iPhone.

The company faced a similar problem with the iPhone 4 in 2010. That model, the first to feature a "glass sandwich" design, was promised in both black and white color options, though release of the white version was pushed back almost an entire year due to production difficulties related to painting methods and materials.

As for Touch ID, the report says 'iPhone 8' manufacturing blanks of the handset's side power button do not contain a hole necessary for a fingerprint module, meaning Apple's sensing technology will likely be implemented elsewhere. Schematics supposedly leaked from an Apple supplier in April showed a markedly enlarged sleep/wake button, leading some to speculate that Apple plans to move Touch ID from its traditional home button location to the side-mounted control.

Citing a Taiwanese supply chain source, the report goes on to cast doubt on rumors that Apple will embed a Touch ID module beneath the handset's display.

Instead, sources reiterated reports from February regarding a front-facing 3D-sensing camera, saying there is a high possibility that the advanced technology, which the report dubs "Face ID," will see release this fall. The report claims Apple will augment facial recognition with iris authentication hardware, to be located next to the FaceTime camera.

Finally, sources note iOS 11 might include a new auto-sleep feature similar in fashion to the "raise to wake" gesture debuted in iOS 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    '...a high possibility that the advanced technology, which the report dubs "Face ID,"...'

What, not "Facial ID?"  Lol
  • Reply 2 of 16
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    You write:
    If accurate, the information suggests Apple is either employing a new bezel masking material or is seeing issues with existing paint technology.

No, no, no, your not paying attention. It can only be black because the whole idea of using OLED is to create the illusion of it being bezel-less - as with Apple Watch.
    jony0lolliverMetriacanthosauruscornchipmattinozAvieshekjensonbnetmage
  • Reply 3 of 16
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    A white bezel would look bad because it will be extremely thin at the sides and bottom and have a heavy area at the top. In white the screen cutout for the speaker/camera will stand out - with black it will be invisible against black OLED. In black the phone will have the illusion of being bezel-less.

It has been long predicted that their won't be a white front option for these reasons.
    jony0lollivercornchipmattinoznetmage
  • Reply 4 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    If Samsung will come out with cheap knock off of Face ID called Facile ID at least it will be well named.
    bestkeptsecretwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I really dont beleive that a Company like Apple with what 58 BIllion in Cash is going to delay the I 8 until October or even later, theyve never missed the mark, and i doubt they will have a delayed shipping on this........
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    '...a high possibility that the advanced technology, which the report dubs "Face ID,"...'

That would conflict with the rumored upcoming AR feature also to be debuted, first in line to take on the name Facial ID. ☺️
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 7 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    What's the deal with double "speaker" slots?

Macotakara says they are a receiver and an IR sensor. There is going to be 3 Iris sensors? Translation error? Can there be that many? And I thought it was face detection, not iris scanning?

So, 6 "holes" for:

1. Proximity sensor
    2. Video/photo camera
    3. Ear/audio speaker
    4. Infrared sensor/camera
    5. Infrared emitter
    6. ???

And the double slot is quite close to each other and they can put both a speaker and an IR emitter there?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    robjn said:
    It can only be black because the whole idea of using OLED is to create the illusion of it being bezel-less - as with Apple Watch.
    I'm not sure how anyone could not understand this at this point. Especially someone writing for this site.
    jensonbnetmage
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Jordanf1 said:
    I really dont beleive that a Company like Apple with what 58 BIllion in Cash is going to delay the I 8 until October or even later, theyve never missed the mark, and i doubt they will have a delayed shipping on this........
    They're not, in the literal sense.

But, assuming the iPhone 8 launches September 22nd, that means it will be on sale for literally 8 days of that month. Due to constraints, there will probably be a few thousand delivered to pre-orders over that week. In the month of October, Apple will make major progress catching up on those pre-orders, with the ratio of September/October deliveries being probably 1/100.

Not unlike the 7 Plus launch.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Soli said:
    If Samsung will come out with cheap knock off of Face ID called Facile ID at least it will be well named.
    Now you're just being facetious.
    nicksaintjohnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    Now you're just being facetious.
    I see what you did there. 
    watto_cobrajensonb
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Why Apple is unable to utilize white ink on iPhone 8, as it does with current iPhone 7 and 7 Plus models, is unclear. If accurate, the information suggests Apple is either employing a new bezel masking material or is seeing issues with existing paint technology. Alternatively, the company might be looking to implement an all new bezel material never before seen on iPhone.
    The writer presumes that the color choices available isn't a deliberate aesthetic choice, and "suggests" that it reflects poorly on Apple's manufacturing capabilities. No other manufacture's color choices lead to such conclusions. Why is that? I mean, if a Nokia phone isn't available in a peculiar shade of lime green, does that suggest that Nokia is "seeing issues with existing paint technology"?
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 13 of 16
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    If the Iris on top is for scanning eyes, I suggest they call it Eye D.
  • Reply 14 of 16

I immediately wondered the same thing until I considered the grammatical aspect. With 'face' also being a verb, in parallel with the word 'touch', this kind of makes sense. Otherwise, I guess we could have been using 'FingerID' all this time!? Could add some credence to the rumour...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    I doubt this relates to issues with the material. More likely, it is being done for the same reason as the Apple Watch: to hide the edges of the OLED Display when active and make the display harder to discern when off, by blending the bezel as seamlessly as possible into the black of the OLED Display. This effect is mostly replicated by the black iPhone 7 despite using an LCD, while on the White models a noticeable black edge exists around the display when active (and obviously, when it's off, it's all black). This relates to what Jony Ive was saying about Apple Watch at its debut regarding making it virtually impossible to discern where the physical object ends and the software begins. I can see them wanting to bring that approach to iPhone for the "wow" factor.

Sufficiently advanced technology, indistinguishable, magic, et cetera.
    netmage
  • Reply 16 of 16
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Soli said:
    As opposed to a brand new tech Samsung is working on called Fecal ID - just (s)wipe to unlock!  :o
    edited July 2017 waverboy