Latest HomePod firmware leak indicates skiing workouts coming to Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Code strings unearthed from early HomePod firmware suggest that Apple is planning to add skiing to the Apple Watch's Workout app, presumably alongside this fall's watchOS 4.

One section of the firmware makes references to a "SkiingWorkoutEventCollector," with additional terms such as "SkiData," "WorkoutActivityType," "SlopeForAngle," and "DownhillSnowSportsDistance," according to Confide developer Jeffrey Grossman. The only Apple product with a Workout app is the Watch.

watchOS 4 will include at least one new workout type, high intensity interval training (HIIT). The activity typically involves running at top speed in short bursts.

The new skiing code.
The new skiing code.

The HomePod code may hint that Apple is planning to add more unannounced workout types. The Watch currently lacks a built-in strength training mode, for example, forcing users to create one using the "Other" option.

A host of "iPhone 8" secrets have either been confirmed or discovered through the HomePod firmware, which was released over the weekend. These include features like "tap to wake" and a "split" status bar, but more importantly the bezel-less design of the phone and facial recognition. It should have a 2436-by-1125 display, but possibly no embedded Touch ID as anticipated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    This is insane, the scope of information they've leaked from this firmware has got to be one of their biggest f*** ups. It's like the Fappening for the Apple fans.
    avidthinkerking editor the grateStrangeDayslolliverdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'm waiting for the "You've sat at your Mac for a record time today, well done' app.
    king editor the gratedoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    MacPro said:
    I'm waiting for the "You've sat at your Mac for a record time today, well done' app.
    I know you're making a joke, but it reminds me of an excellent timing app fro the Mac which I don't recall being mentioned on this site.

• Reply 4 of 16
    This is insane, the scope of information they've leaked from this firmware has got to be one of their biggest f*** ups. It's like the Fappening for the Apple fans.
    Haha, seriously.  This new device is yielding very interesting glimpses into the upcoming product line.

My question is whether Apple is planning third-party functionality at release?  Why not just lock down the device until v2, or a later firmware update?  Certainly would have prevented all the poking around by developers and exposing the clues that has come out the past few days.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 16
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    It's an obvious, but naive question. Why would information about iphone 8, as previously reported, or Apple Watch apps appear in firmware associated with the HomePod?

Makes no sense to me. Maybe it makes sense to others. If so, clue me in.
    edited August 2017 lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 16
    larryjw said:
    It's an obvious, but naive question. Why would information about iphone 8, as previously reported, or Apple Watch apps appear in firmware associated with the HomePod?

There are certainly questions about how this could happen. Best I can figure is they took a stable codebase from iOS 11 for iPhone, which contains plenty of watchOS data as the one can't be used without having the other, and built up from there. I assume they'll clean out all the unnecessary bits before launch, once they get the new features and UI operational, but there's no need to clean it out right away if there's a chance it can cause an extra vector for instability. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I see it as Apple allowing the leaks to occur to show how it has designed, developed HomePod to be different, better than the competition. You will now see the competition scrambling to improve their devices to match the upcoming HomePod. I think Apple has even better leaks coming before December arrives.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I'm actually surprised developers haven't found similar details in the Xcode 9 and iOS 11 betas. Nearly all source code for apps running on Apple's devices are developed using Xcode and running on a variant of iOS.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Duuuuude!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Soli said:
    larryjw said:

There are certainly questions about how this could happen. Best I can figure is they took a stable codebase from iOS 11 for iPhone, which contains plenty of watchOS data as the one can't be used without having the other, and built up from there. I assume they'll clean out all the unnecessary bits before launch, once they get the new features and UI operational, but there's no need to clean it out right away if there's a chance it can cause an extra vector for instability. 
    I could agree with you. But, imagine if Apple is purposefully running a scam operation to throw off the hacker bloodhounds looking for clues to the future. 
  • Reply 11 of 16
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    What's funny is that Apple is probably running the most well funded anti leaking groups of any company, yet these are the kinds of amateur fumbling their committing hilarious, but a bigger question is why is Apple releasing firm wear for products it hasn't even released yet ? If Tim had held off his over eagerness and just announce the HP with the new iPhones maybe this might have all been avoided. All this after he was crying about how leakes were hurting product potencial
  • Reply 12 of 16
    larryjw said:
    Soli said:
    larryjw said:

I could agree with you. But, imagine if Apple is purposefully running a scam operation to throw off the hacker bloodhounds looking for clues to the future. 
    I can’t rule it out, but I have trouble seeing the upside.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    holyone said:
    What's funny is that Apple is probably running the most well funded anti leaking groups of any company, yet these are the kinds of amateur fumbling their committing hilarious, but a bigger question is why is Apple releasing firm wear for products it hasn't even released yet ? If Tim had held off his over eagerness and just announce the HP with the new iPhones maybe this might have all been avoided. All this after he was crying about how leakes were hurting product potencial
    Developers need time to work on associated projects. It's perhaps less important with the HomePod, but still.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    Geez, it’s just a matter of time before the HomePod firmware reveals Tim Cook’s summer vacation plans. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    holyone said:
    Yeah but then people would be whining about how Apple is so far behind and why are they so silent? Etc. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    holyone said:
    Yeah but then people would be whining about how Apple is so far behind and why are they so silent? Etc. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
    Apple is so far behind that they've gone around and they're ahead ;-).
    StrangeDays