No 9 as of jan 1st

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sorry if i'm late on this, and I know there were debates on this but I never really heard/saw the answer. Has anyone figured out, or what were the concluded ideas on why there will be no OS 9 support?

New HW, New OS X?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I thought it was going to be new Macs that won't support OS9, not all new Macs.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Installing a future version of OSX will *not* make your machine stop from booting into OS9.

It will be a *hardware* change that will stop OS9. It probably will not be a change *just* to drop OS9; rather, Apple will simply stop updating the drivers for OS9 to load properly on the new Macs.

Apple has announced that starting in 2003 new Macs will no longer boot to Mac OS 9. Classic will still work. I doubt *all* Macs shipping on January 1 will break OS9. Only hardware that has had a major update of some kind should have this effect.

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    thanks but i understand this, and i dont know of any HW that doesn't run 9, so wouldn't NW hw have to be coming...and didn't he say all macs woudl no longer boot up in 9?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    No, no, you still don't understand. Here's a quote from Apple's official press release: [quote]Apple® today announced that starting in January 2003, all new Mac® models will only boot into Mac® OS X as the start-up operating system, though they will retain the ability to run most Mac OS 9 applications through Apple?s bundled ?Classic? software.<hr></blockquote>I added the emphasis.

That doesn't say *all* Macs that Apple will be shipping in January will be X-only. That says that all *new models* of the hardware will boot X-only, starting in January. Why does it matter that current hardware can boot to OS9? Future hardware could bring any one of a multitude of changes that would break OS9! The PPC970 is a prime example of something that would probably not boot OS9 without software updates.

Apple isn't actively killing OS9. Rather, it is letting it die a natural death by not updating it to work on new hardware.

Does that point to new hardware some time in 2003? Obviously. Does that mean every product will be updated on January 1? Of course not. It just means that when some new hardware update is released, OS9 will not be updated to run on it.

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>