iBook advice for a friend

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay, a friend of mine bought a refurbished 700 MHz/Combo iBook about two weeks ago, not knowing about the upcoming refresh (he thought it probably wouldn't be until next year, and he didn't want to wait that long). He paid $1300 for it.

Today he called MacWarehouse and they said they have a 15% restocking fee, meaning he'd get back about $1100. Of course, he's really disappointed about getting the iBook so soon before the update. Anyway, he's wondering if it's worth it to restock the iBook and buy a new middle-end 12" one - meaning, effectively, he will have paid $1500 for the new one, instead of $1300.

I'm thinking it is probably worth it, because the video card is much better. The 100 MHz faster speed isn't a big deal, only 14% and this time it isn't a newer, better G3 chip, it's the same one. I told him it would probably last a year longer before becoming too obsolete, because of the extra VRAM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    What's he do with the computer? I kind of doubt that it is worth it. ..
  • Reply 2 of 8
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    My first Powerbook lasted me 5 years. My wife is still using a 33 mhz machine. Most people buy iBooks because they're affordable and portable, not for their video card. He'd be crazy to restock just for that reason. What is it he wants to do that he can't do with his current system? When I got mine, I wanted firewire and video editing capability. My 500 mhz ibook gives me that. Is there something else out there that I'm missing? If we're talking games performance, he shouldn't even be looking at an ibook.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I just talked to him again (he looked at this topic but he doesn't feel like registering) and he says one big factor is the hard drive, which he doesn't want to replace yet because it would void the warranty. With only 20 GB, it's very limited.

As far as what he uses it for, the reason he got an iBook is because he needs a portable but he can't afford a TiBook. Believe me, if he could afford a TiBook, he would have gotten one. He wants to get the better one because he likes gaming. One thing he is thinking of doing is using the $200 towards an XBox instead of the upgrade for the iBook. He'd still be short on HD room, but he wouldn't need the latest and greatest graphics card that way.

I don't agree with you in saying that "if he wanted good gaming, why'd he get an iBook?" He needed a portable, he can't afford a TiBook, and he kinda wants to be able to game on the same machine instead of having to buy a separate console.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    the better video card will be worth it... the better it is the better QE will work....

the only thing is would he rather use the $200 for an external hard drive?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    the new model burns CDs at 16x

the "old" one only at 8x

combine that with the larger hard drive, and $200 is not sounding too bad
  • Reply 6 of 8
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Well, 32mb of Vram is really very enticing.

If your friend loves games, this will be great. ANd QE will be much smoother and quicker.

20Gb may not be alot of space nowdays, but it is more than enough to store lotsa music and a few movies.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    I'd do it if it were me.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, he's made his decision not to get the new one. He was pretty mad at himself but he was going to do it earlier today, but he changed his mind after reading a post at the MacAddict forums (where he normally hangs out) from someone who bought one and compared it to a PowerBook G4 with the 16 MB Mobility Radeon. According to that guy, the gaming performance really wasn't any better, despite the higher clock speed and better video card. Not bad gaming performance, but not enough of an improvement to really justify replacing a 700 MHz iBook with an 800 MHz one.

But he still looks at it and thinks, "WHY must you exist!?" It must be really frustrating, especially since there is no way to upgrade the graphics and it's difficult to upgrade the HD.