Apple halts returns & exchanges in Hong Kong ahead of 'iPhone 8' launch

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple Hong Kong has stopped accepting most returns and exchanges for online orders made on or after August 15, in what's likely a preeemptive measure against scalpers ahead of this fall's launch of the "iPhone 8," "iPhone 7s," and "iPhone 7s Plus."

The only exception to the new policy is for defective products, which can still be exchanged, Apple said. Typically Hong Kong shoppers have been able to return any undamaged products within a 14-day window.

While technically a part of China, Hong Kong is a cheaper destination for buying iPhones than the mainland, making it a frequent target for both scalpers and smugglers. Apple and government officials have struggled to combat the situation with only limited success.

Indeed last month, mainland customs officers caught a woman attempting to smuggle 102 iPhones worn around her body. Other smugglers have been caught carrying smaller numbers, and of course many people may be successfully infiltrating the mainland.

Apple will likely reinstate more lenient return and exchange policies once the initial demand for new iPhones subsides. That could be many months from now though, given rumors that the "iPhone 8" will only enter mass production in September, the same month as its expected announcement.

The "7s" and "7s Plus" should be available in greater quantities, but may have less appeal apart from price, since they're expected to use conventional LCDs rather than edge-to-edge OLED. They may also be missing other "8" features such as facial recognition and/or a rear autofocus laser.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I'm not sure that I see how this helps either regular shoppers or Apple
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I'm not sure that I see how this helps either regular shoppers or Apple
    Maybe customers would buy the outgoing model with all intentions of exchanging for a new model and perhaps get to the front of the wait list.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 3 of 10
    They’ll purchase as many as they can and return any unsold. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 10
    themacman said:
    Ahh, OK
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Mmm...

In this entitlement society, there should be a special Scalpers iPhone Upgrade Program ;D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    themacman said:

Then Apple Hong Kong should do what Apple Delaware does:  Limit iPhones to 2 per customer. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ktappe said:
    themacman said:

Then Apple Hong Kong should do what Apple Delaware does:  Limit iPhones to 2 per customer. 
    They use proxies to buy them. http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/29/world/asia/hong-kongs-iphone-flipping-industry/index.html
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 10
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member
    It would be nice if this article (or any other article on this subject) gave some clue as to what connection there is between returns, a month in advance of the expected launch, and black market iPhones.  If there is such demand, why would anyone return them?  I don't get it.  
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Mmm...

In this entitlement society, there should be a special Scalpers iPhone Upgrade Program ;D
    iSUP (iPhone Scalpers Upgrade Program)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    That picture is just awesome and disturbing at the same time.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra