iBook 800 peformance...?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was thinking of buying one for my mother as a christmas present. The only G3 I Have is an old imac400 which is terrible slow in 10.2.1. How is the performance on the new iBooks? Can people who own the older 700 (sense I doubt any one has a new one yet) post about its performance in 10.2. How much slower do you think the iBook 800 would be compared to the iMac 800? ect... Basically I would love some general advice regarding iBooks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    The new 800 mzh iBook should be very fast in OS X with the 32 mb 7500 graphics card. My brother's 700 mzh 14" iBook is very fast and it only has a 16 mb video card.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Very fast compared to what? Does it feel snappy in OS 10.2.1?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I can't imagine why the new (or any recent) iBook wouldn't be adequate. I am running 10.2.1 on an old 466 iBook (66mhtz system bus). I have no problems with the speed of the OS on this machine. Including using photoshop.

The new machines have a faster bus speed (still 100 mhtz?) and the new video card should be able to use QuartzExtreme features!

For the price, I can't imagine a better portable computer deal. OS X will run just fine.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot:

<strong>I can't imagine why the new (or any recent) iBook wouldn't be adequate. I am running 10.2.1 on an old 466 iBook (66mhtz system bus). I have no problems with the speed of the OS on this machine. Including using photoshop.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

:eek: I'd never be able to run OS X on a 800x600 screen!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Except for the altivec stuff and for the HD, the new I book 800 is faster than the I mac G4.

Except Altivec the 750 fx chip is faster at equal mhz than the 7450 especially if this one lack L3 cache. The video is faster in the i book either (the radeon 7500 is nearly twice as fast as a geforce 2 mx concerning 3 D acceleration).

The I mac and e mac line really need an update.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    So the iBook would actually be better at games than an iMac G4 because of the much better Graphics card?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Apparently yes, because most games aren't AltiVec optimized. The only ones that are optimized for G4s or dual processors are probably some little Mac-only shareware games, ones that would run fast on any G3 Mac anyway.

I'm not sure though, the Radeon 7500 is much better than the GeForce 2 MX, but I don't know about the Radeon 7500 Mobility. It might not be as good. But it's still probably better.