Google rumored to announce 'Pixel 2' smartphones on October 5, weeks after Apple's iPhone ...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google's second generation of its Pixel smartphones may arrive a few weeks after Apple launches its iPhone, with one prominent leaker claiming the search giant will unveil the mobile device during an event on October 5.




The October 5 date for the event, according to unnamed sources of leaker Evan Blass on Twitter, is fairly plausible when taking into account the original Pixel launch into account. The 2016 "Made by Google" event was held on October 4, so the supposed timing of this year's event could be considered a way of marking the anniversary of the first Pixel's unveiling.

Google's event is said to take place after similar device launches for its main competition, giving its opposition more of a chance to acquire its users. Apple rival Samsung launched its flagship Galaxy Note 8 on August 23, while the Essential smartphone, from Android creator Andy Rubin's company Essential, was revealed on August 17.

Apple's own iPhone event, which is expected to be the launch venue for the "iPhone 8," "iPhone 7s," and "iPhone 7s Plus," is rumored to take place on September 12, with shipping thought to commence from September 22.

Google's second-generation Pixel handsets, powered by Snapdragon 836 SoC's, will be unveiled on October 5th.

-- Evan Blass (@evleaks)

As part of the same tweet, Blass hinted that the second-generation Pixel smartphones will be powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 836 system-on-chip, one that is faster and more power efficient than the Snapdragon 835 used in many other flagship Android smartphones. Last year's Pixel and Pixel XL used the Snapdragon 821, again an improved model compared to the Snapdragon 820 that was commonly used at the time.

The Google "Pixel 2" and "Pixel 2 XL" are rumored to be slight improvements on the first generation of devices, but while the original Pixel and Pixel XL were relatively identical, there may be more differences in the new version. Among the alterations is the possibility that the HTC-constructed "Pixel 2" will include the "squeezable" frame as used on the HTC U11, while the "XL" model is apparently being built by LG, complete with a 6-inch borderless AMOLED display.

It is highly likely that Google will include the latest release of Android as the operating system for the new devices. Dubbed "Android Oreo," the latest version of the operating system includes a picture-in-picture mode for video apps, Notification Dots for app notifications, and an expansion of Chrome's autofill to other apps.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 357member
    You think Google will have to pay Nabisco for using the name of their cookie?
    jbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 7,312member
    Why this news? The Pixel, and the Nexus before it, have never sold in large numbers. Like the Apple TV, phones appear to be a hobby for Google.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,112member
    lkrupp said:
    Why this news? The Pixel, and the Nexus before it, have never sold in large numbers. Like the Apple TV, phones appear to be a hobby for Google.
    That's an apt description. Besides, they have to make hardware for testing and implementing a new OS and it's features anyway. Probably not all that more expensive to produce a few more for sale to the public.  
    edited August 2017 SpamSandwichjony0
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 4,765member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Why this news? The Pixel, and the Nexus before it, have never sold in large numbers. Like the Apple TV, phones appear to be a hobby for Google.
    That's an apt description. Besides, they have to make hardware for testing and implementing a new OS and it's features anyway. Probably not all that more expensive to produce a few more for sale to the public.  
    Microsoft does the same thing. They do it to provide ideas and guidance for their manufacturing partners. 

    edited August 2017
  • Reply 5 of 10
    What was that Ireland said about Google yesterday? :)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,112member
    What was that Ireland said about Google yesterday? :)
    Something similar to what my son was overheard to say about some former friend of his, but it wasn't Google. ;)

    Shock value from that particular word is gone. It's even heard in grade-school now. Sad when profanity morphs into proper language and worse becomes a way to say nothing but pretend it's something. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,172member
    This is just lame, it's all meaningless garbage.
    lkrupp said:
    Why this news? The Pixel, and the Nexus before it, have never sold in large numbers. Like the Apple TV, phones appear to be a hobby for Google.
    Did they even get 2 Million in sales of the Pixel? So doing a little Googling just now, looking here at a Android site:

    https://android.gadgethacks.com/news/rare-moment-pixels-sales-figures-are-revealed-0178148/

    This is from June 13,2017. So just a couple months ago.

    Over at: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/google-pixel-xl-sales-1-million-1712753

    This is June 15th, 2017, Headline is Google Sold 1 million Pixels in 8 months.

    It's not much of a threat. When the iPhone launches, Apple will sell that many in the first day or faster. In fact Apple sold 78.3 million iPhones in the last 3 months of 2016.

    One of the problems is Android has been marketed as the CHEAP phones. Giving away the OS to those that want to use it. That's what you hear. Why would anyone want to pay iPhone prices on a knockoff iPhone clone from Google? What Android has going for it is a bunch of company's selling cheap Android phones and this is where they get the much larger market share. As anyone knows, Market share is only part of the picture. Apple is making a normal profit on their hardware while most everyone else is either breaking even, razer thin profits, or losing money. Apple makes most of the profits at over 90%. Samesung makes most of what's left and that's on their S & Note series high end phones. The scraps is everyone else.

    Google's 1 Million, hell give them 2 million in sales for the year is kind of laughable. If I was going to get a Android phone though, it would be a Pixel just because I know it'll get the OS updates and monthly security updates for a while and right away. Can't really say that for anyone else.
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jbdragon said:
    This is just lame, it's all meaningless garbage.
    lkrupp said:
    Why this news? The Pixel, and the Nexus before it, have never sold in large numbers. Like the Apple TV, phones appear to be a hobby for Google.
    Did they even get 2 Million in sales of the Pixel? So doing a little Googling just now, looking here at a Android site:

    https://android.gadgethacks.com/news/rare-moment-pixels-sales-figures-are-revealed-0178148/

    This is from June 13,2017. So just a couple months ago.

    Over at: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/google-pixel-xl-sales-1-million-1712753

    This is June 15th, 2017, Headline is Google Sold 1 million Pixels in 8 months.

    It's not much of a threat. When the iPhone launches, Apple will sell that many in the first day or faster. In fact Apple sold 78.3 million iPhones in the last 3 months of 2016.

    One of the problems is Android has been marketed as the CHEAP phones. Giving away the OS to those that want to use it. That's what you hear. Why would anyone want to pay iPhone prices on a knockoff iPhone clone from Google? What Android has going for it is a bunch of company's selling cheap Android phones and this is where they get the much larger market share. As anyone knows, Market share is only part of the picture. Apple is making a normal profit on their hardware while most everyone else is either breaking even, razer thin profits, or losing money. Apple makes most of the profits at over 90%. Samesung makes most of what's left and that's on their S & Note series high end phones. The scraps is everyone else.

    Google's 1 Million, hell give them 2 million in sales for the year is kind of laughable. If I was going to get a Android phone though, it would be a Pixel just because I know it'll get the OS updates and monthly security updates for a while and right away. Can't really say that for anyone else.
    Motorola, Sony and HTC have relatively good track record regarding updates, due to the "near stock android" nature of their software. In fact, Pixel is NOT the best that Android world has to offer. HTC has made HTC 10 (last year) and U11 (this year) and in my personal opinion, they are best phones in Android world for last year and this year.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,391member
    jdgaz said:
    You think Google will have to pay Nabisco for using the name of their cookie?
    The story is no, they are not paying them anything
  • Reply 10 of 10
    gatorguy said:
    ...becomes a way to say nothing but pretend it's something. 
    You've got it backward: they're actually saying something.  You're the one pretending it's nothing (and worse, striving to marginalize).
Sign In or Register to comment.