Amazon Prime Video Apple TV app may not be ready for September launch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2017
While an Apple TV app for Amazon Prime Video isn't news, a report is now claiming that the app may not see a rumored September launch.

According to a report published by Recode, sources are claiming that the app may not be ready in time. The provenance of the report isn't clear, nor is there any light shed on where the sources are deriving their information.

Sources within Apple not authorized to speak for the company noted to AppleInsider that there is not any announced timetable for the app beyond 2017. Additionally, we were reminded that CEO Tim Cook promised users would hear "a lot more" about tvOS 11 later in 2017.

Word of Prime Video coming to the Apple TV first leaked in early May with a report that claimed that Amazon and Apple were close to finalizing a deal. Until now, Apple customers wanting to watch Prime Video on devices beyond a Mac have had to rely on Amazon's iOS app, which includes AirPlay support.

It is not clear if the Apple TV client will integrate with Apple's "TV" app for tvOS. However, given that Cook announced the app was coming to the Apple TV right after discussing "TV" additions, it seems likely that it will.

Amazon ceased Apple TV sales in Oct. 2015, citing potential customer confusion over which streaming devices support Prime Video. An Apple TV client should see the set-top return to Amazon's marketplace.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    It's ok..I've got it on my Tivo
    smaffeidws-2
  • Reply 2 of 18
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    It's ok..I've got it on my Tivo
    Me, too, but it's slow to the point of being practically unusable. It feels like I'm trying to run Windows 10 on an Intel 80486 processor with 4 MB of RAM.
    dws-2jbdragonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    maybe they are waiting for Amazon to relist Apple TV's for sale on amazon.com so they can jointly announce the news, and for whatever reason Amazon is not ready
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    if there is a delay it's probably not because of coding issues. After all, the iOS app works just fine. So if it's delayed there's money or marketing involved... or bragging rights or something.
    jbdragonStrangeDayswatto_cobraigorsky
  • Reply 5 of 18
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Eh. I now have a "smart" TV with an amazon link thingy. 
    minicoffee
  • Reply 6 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Hate to say but Amazon(Jeff Bozo) is bully to annoy their customers and don't see it. I dropped my Amazon Prime long time back. Walmart is now cheaper and I order online and pick it up in store or get it shipped.
    watto_cobraigorsky
  • Reply 7 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Amazon has not been aligned with its customers for a long time. Feuding with Apple and withholding a simple playback app at the expense of customer ease of use is ridiculous. 
    bb-15watto_cobraigorsky
  • Reply 8 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Nobody outside of the US gives a rat's about Amazon Prime.

If Apple want to sell more Apple TVs it needs to do three things:
    1. Reduce the price;
    2. Reduce the price; and
    3. Reduce the price.

Those three strategies would probably work in the US of A too. Who knows, all those addtional Apple TV sales might bring Amazon to the table as well.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 9 of 18
    sog35 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Hate to say but Amazon(Jeff Bozo) is bully to annoy their customers and don't see it. I dropped my Amazon Prime long time back. Walmart is now cheaper and I order online and pick it up in store or get it shipped.
    interesting.

how is the selection at Walmart vs Amazon?
    Amazon might have zillion things to sell but I need few and long as those available at or lower price at Walmart, And Walmart who hired jet.com CEO is helping to make Walmart's online like another Amazon. All these without paying Prime membership.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    entropys said:

1. Reduce the price;
    2. Reduce the price; and
    3. Reduce the price.

Those three strategies would probably work in the US of A too. Who knows, all those addtional Apple TV sales might bring Amazon to the table as well.
    May be have one cheaper version with(less memory?) used for a streaming but not for gaming device. So, 16GB base, 32GB middle and 128GB upper.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I can wait but looking forward to AP's arrival as an app on Apple TV.  Then I can take out the FireStick so no switching inputs on the TV after that.  To be fair it has worked very well and only cost $50.  I may well repurpose it somewhere else.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    loekfloekf Posts: 41member
    No surprise at all. Amazon Prime Video is a streaming service just very hard to watch:

- PS4 app in the US, Germany. UK,... but not available outside those Amazon Prime countries, while the streaming service is.
    - Nvidia Shield app same story, so you disable location services and it works
    - Yes, you can watch it on an iPad or iPhone, but please stop this Airplay nonsense.
    - FireTV doesn't work outside these Amazon Prime countries (some content does)

How hard can it be to port an iOS app to tvOS ? Should be a matter of days.....
    igorsky
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Well you left out one. Roku works better for Amazon Instant Video at this time, until it gets released for Apple TV.

If your in another country, you just need a VPN like StrongVPN.com and your Amazon Video is streaming without any issues.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    Amazon is decidedly anti-Apple (or anti-competition, for that matter) so they are definitely not in a hurry to help Apple look good in a keynote.  
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 15 of 18
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    wood1208 said:
    Walmart is now cheaper
    I've price compared numerous times and, for me, this has not been the case. From my experience Amazon has been cheaper 100% of the time. I hope that they'll be comparable one day just for the sake of competition.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I like Amazon a lot better than Walmart, there customer service is so much better.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 17 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    entropys said:

1. Reduce the price;
    2. Reduce the price; and
    3. Reduce the price.

Apple doesn’t usually make things cheap just to gather market share. They don’t pray at the Church of Marketshare. only they know if they’re unhappy with ATV sales. 
    igorsky