Rumor: Apple in early development of 5.85- & 6.46-inch OLED iPhones for 2018

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is beginning "earlier than usual" development with Samsung Display on 5.85- and 6.46-inch OLED panels for next year's iPhones, a report claimed on Thursday.

An 'iPhone 8' concept render.
An 'iPhone 8' concept render.


"The development schedule has been advanced considering diverse factors such as funding, facility investment and production plans," one of several sources told ET News, cited by the Korea Herald. "Work for this year's iPhone started in April, also earlier than usual."

The company was previously said to be considering 5.28- and 6.46-inch displays, but decided to abandon the 5.28-inch size as a result of both demand for big-screen phones and technological progress. It's expected that the company will sell three OLED models next year, although the Herald didn't offer any details on the third.

The publication did note that 5.85 inches is the same size as this year's "iPhone 8,", and it would make sense for the company to carry over the same form factor.

Samsung is believed to be Apple's lone OLED supplier, as it's the only company with the capacity to manufacture OLED at a large scale. Firms like LG and Sharp are only now beginning to ramp up infrastructure.

The "iPhone 8" should be announced at a Sept. 12 press event. Other features are expected to include 3D facial recognition, wireless charging, and a faster "A11" processor.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 48
    sog35 said:
    2017

    iPhone 7s
    iPhone 7s Plus

    iPhone X

    2018

    iPhone (new mid tier phone, think iPad 2017)  $599
    iPhone Plus $699

    iPhone X1
    iPhone X1 Plus
    opens the door to shifting the naming convention in line with Mac/iPad imho...

    iPhone Mini (SE successor) / iPhone (7S successor) / iPhone Pro (X/8/Pro available in two sizes)
  • Reply 2 of 48
    red oakred oak Posts: 628member
    6.4" iPhone would be sick

    Apple is in a zone, gas pedal mashed against the metal 




    stantheman
  • Reply 3 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,608member
    An Apple Note 8? God no!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 48
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 1,759member
    We all can read between lines. The 6.46"(with pencil support) seems further in future but for next year release, it is natural that Apple will take current iPhone Plus size frame and put end to end OLED similar to an upcoming iphone 8. Users want more screen area to work with without huge phone size which translates into thin bezel, end to end screen, possible smaller frame. iPhone SE should either be gone(and 4.7" is new small iphone) or be increased in screen size but bit less than 4.7"(4.4"?) with end to end LCD screen. There will always be enough number of users wanting smaller phones/iphone.. Iphone 8 will offer most ideal size iphone. I certainly will buy.
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 48
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 259member
    The next 5 years will be interesting 
  • Reply 6 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,324member
    The latest phones are t your yet, and the tradition of new rumors is healthy. Good to see.

    but this is actually interesting. The new OLED screen is actually smaller than the number has people thinking, because of its length, as it’s really effectively 5.15” so this huge screen would be closer to the current 5.5” model, in reality, just a bit bigger, maybe 5.7 or 5.8.

    edit: this is getting really annoying. I type something, when I read it, it’s usually ok, but sometimes, when I hit post, and reread it later, it changed.

    the first sentence obviously should begin with “The latest phones aren’t here yet,...”
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 7 of 48
    tshapitshapi Posts: 288member
    sog35 said:
    2017

    iPhone 7s
    iPhone 7s Plus

    iPhone X

    2018

    iPhone (new mid tier phone, think iPad 2017)  $599
    iPhone Plus $699

    iPhone X1
    iPhone X1 Plus
    I think you got this wrong imo Apple will drop the # convention this year. 
    So this year will be iPhone iPhone plus and iPhone pro 5.8"  

    The rumored device in this article is them is the iPhone plus pro. Imo  so Apple will have three maybe four  phones iPhone, iPhone plus, iPhone pro, iPhone plus pro.  

    With Apple coming out with iPhone Pro its the new toy so it will get apples marketing attention.  You don't hear a lot about the iPhone se but it's there. I feel the iPhone itself will go that way when the pro is released. 

    Imo ever since I saw the LG G4 (2014)I've been waiting for Apple to come out with there version of a minimal bezel screen.  I want to fit as much screen real estate as possible in a phone designed for one handed use. Like the iPhone 6s I'm using right now.    



    edited August 2017
  • Reply 8 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    tshapi said:
    sog35 said:
    2017

    iPhone 7s
    iPhone 7s Plus

    iPhone X

    2018

    iPhone (new mid tier phone, think iPad 2017)  $599
    iPhone Plus $699

    iPhone X1
    iPhone X1 Plus
    I think you got this wrong imo Apple will drop the # convention this year. 
    So this year will be iPhone iPhone plus and iPhone pro 5.8"  

    The rumored device in this article is them is the iPhone plus pro. Imo  so Apple will have three maybe four  phones iPhone, iPhone plus, iPhone pro, iPhone plus pro.  

    With Apple coming out with iPhone Pro its the new toy so it will get apples marketing attention.  You don't hear a lot about the iPhone se but it's there. I feel the iPhone itself will go that way when the pro is released. 

    Imo ever since I saw the LG G4 (2014)I've been waiting for Apple to come out with there version of a minimal bezel screen.  I want to fit as much screen real estate as possible in a phone designed for one handed use. Like the iPhone 6s I'm using right now.    



    They're not using pro in a phone. Anniversary Edition this year and next year they just move up the whole line up so the current 7s+ and the anniversary edition merge.
    The main reason there is no merge this year is because of OLED supply constraints.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 9 of 48
    tshapitshapi Posts: 288member
    foggyhill said:
    tshapi said:
    sog35 said:
    2017

    iPhone 7s
    iPhone 7s Plus

    iPhone X

    2018

    iPhone (new mid tier phone, think iPad 2017)  $599
    iPhone Plus $699

    iPhone X1
    iPhone X1 Plus
    I think you got this wrong imo Apple will drop the # convention this year. 
    So this year will be iPhone iPhone plus and iPhone pro 5.8"  

    The rumored device in this article is them is the iPhone plus pro. Imo  so Apple will have three maybe four  phones iPhone, iPhone plus, iPhone pro, iPhone plus pro.  

    With Apple coming out with iPhone Pro its the new toy so it will get apples marketing attention.  You don't hear a lot about the iPhone se but it's there. I feel the iPhone itself will go that way when the pro is released. 

    Imo ever since I saw the LG G4 (2014)I've been waiting for Apple to come out with there version of a minimal bezel screen.  I want to fit as much screen real estate as possible in a phone designed for one handed use. Like the iPhone 6s I'm using right now.    



    They're not using pro in a phone. Anniversary Edition this year and next year they just move up the whole line up so the current 7s+ and the anniversary edition merge.
    The main reason there is no merge this year is because of OLED supply constraints.
    It will be the iPhone Pro, If Apple was big on "anniversary editions" they would of delivered this in June.  
  • Reply 10 of 48
    JoopJoop Posts: 4member
    A 6,45 iPhone with use of the pencil wil be the end of the iPad mini. The iPhone SE build in a new plant in India wil stay for year, but in 2019 or 2020 with a OLED 5,28 display (same form factor).
  • Reply 11 of 48
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 628member
    Just a prediction:

    They're having manufacturing difficulty with the 6.46" panels so they may go with a 16.4 cm panel.Yield rates are low.  You saw it here first.  
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    tshapi said:
    foggyhill said:
    tshapi said:
    sog35 said:
    2017

    iPhone 7s
    iPhone 7s Plus

    iPhone X

    2018

    iPhone (new mid tier phone, think iPad 2017)  $599
    iPhone Plus $699

    iPhone X1
    iPhone X1 Plus
    I think you got this wrong imo Apple will drop the # convention this year. 
    So this year will be iPhone iPhone plus and iPhone pro 5.8"  

    The rumored device in this article is them is the iPhone plus pro. Imo  so Apple will have three maybe four  phones iPhone, iPhone plus, iPhone pro, iPhone plus pro.  

    With Apple coming out with iPhone Pro its the new toy so it will get apples marketing attention.  You don't hear a lot about the iPhone se but it's there. I feel the iPhone itself will go that way when the pro is released. 

    Imo ever since I saw the LG G4 (2014)I've been waiting for Apple to come out with there version of a minimal bezel screen.  I want to fit as much screen real estate as possible in a phone designed for one handed use. Like the iPhone 6s I'm using right now.    



    They're not using pro in a phone. Anniversary Edition this year and next year they just move up the whole line up so the current 7s+ and the anniversary edition merge.
    The main reason there is no merge this year is because of OLED supply constraints.
    It will be the iPhone Pro, If Apple was big on "anniversary editions" they would of delivered this in June.  
    Considering actual production constraints and the fact 10nm wasn't ready and that would have been 8 months after the 7, and its the same year still... Huh, no.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 13 of 48
    red oak said:
    6.4" iPhone would be sick

    Apple is in a zone, gas pedal mashed against the metal 




    Yes It would be sick. Sick would be also 10 inch. That ilness has problem with cure. I am opening a store with Apple accessories mainly shirts and T-shirts with proper size pocked for sick designs oversized pseudo-phones (calling function in near-tablet sized devices).
  • Reply 14 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 3,179member
    sog35 said:
    Joop said:
    A 6,45 iPhone with use of the pencil wil be the end of the iPad mini. The iPhone SE build in a new plant in India wil stay for year, but in 2019 or 2020 with a OLED 5,28 display (same form factor).
    Exactly.

    And that's why its going to happen.

    The iPad Mini has been a totally financial disaster for Apple.  They want to get rid of the iPad Mini as soon as possible. Why?  Because margins were absolutely dreadful on that device.  And the Mini also canibalized much more profitable devices such as the as the regular iPad and iPhones.

    iPad Mini needs to die.
    You make it sound as if the Mini was a raging success, but for users only .

    That's reason enough to stick with it and develop it. The Mini hasn't lost Apple any money. If it canibalised more expensive models it's because users didn't really need those models in the first place.

    Apple has to adapt to users' needs, not the other way around.
    cornchiposeametoysandme
  • Reply 15 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,608member
    I swear there's a group of people somewhere that sit down at a table every few days to brainstorm and think up semi-plausible rumors about Apple. Then they disseminate those rumors to various tech news sites, sit back, have a few beers, and laugh their asses off.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 16 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,461member
    Another thread ruined by Sog and his ever changing predictions in the hopes that one will be right by accident so he can claim he's clairvoyant. :sigh:
    edited August 2017 radarthekatStrangeDaysgatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,324member
    I don’t understand why talking about prices and sizes is such a big deal. The phones will be announced in about a week and a half, if reports are right. What’s the point?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member
    wood1208 said:
    iPhone SE should either be gone(and 4.7" is new small iphone) or be increased in screen size but bit less than 4.7"(4.4"?) with end to end LCD screen. There will always be enough number of users wanting smaller phones/iphone.. Iphone 8 will offer most ideal size iphone. I certainly will buy.
    Hopefully replaced and not just gone. Otherwise iPhones won't suit my needs. I personally don't want a phone physically larger than iPhone SE. I like my phone to get out of the way as much as possible when not using it and to be a tool when using it. In and out.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,324member
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    Joop said:
    A 6,45 iPhone with use of the pencil wil be the end of the iPad mini. The iPhone SE build in a new plant in India wil stay for year, but in 2019 or 2020 with a OLED 5,28 display (same form factor).
    Exactly.

    And that's why its going to happen.

    The iPad Mini has been a totally financial disaster for Apple.  They want to get rid of the iPad Mini as soon as possible. Why?  Because margins were absolutely dreadful on that device.  And the Mini also canibalized much more profitable devices such as the as the regular iPad and iPhones.

    iPad Mini needs to die.
    You make it sound as if the Mini was a raging success, but for users only .

    That's reason enough to stick with it and develop it. The Mini hasn't lost Apple any money. If it canibalised more expensive models it's because users didn't really need those models in the first place.

    Apple has to adapt to users' needs, not the other way around.
    Thats kind of interesting, because if Mini sales didn’t take from other sales, they didn’t cannibalize them at all. In that case they were additive.

    i imagine that it’s true that the larger phones instead cannibalized Mini sales. Two devices in one.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Joop said:
    A 6,45 iPhone with use of the pencil wil be the end of the iPad mini Samsung Galaxy Note lineup. The iPhone SE build in a new plant in India wil stay for year, but in 2019 or 2020 with a OLED 5,28 display (same form factor).
    Corrected that for you. IPad mini seems to be dead already, with no refresh in last 2 years. Also it would not be surprising that Mini sales were low in the last 2 years of its existence, because it was designed that way - with a joke of an upgrade from Mini 2 to Mini 3 (same as Mini 2 and just TouchID added), and small upgrade from Mini 3 to Mini 4 (A8 in Mini 4, compared to A9X in iPad Pro which launched at the same time).
    edited August 2017
Sign In or Register to comment.