APFS for MacPro 12 Core 2010 with 520GB SSD Drive + QTY 3 x 3TB Internal HDs

Posted:
in macOS
Will the new APFS system with High Sierra work with my MacPro 12 Core 2010 with 520GB SSD Drive + QTY 3 x 3TB Internal HDs. Will it format my SSD with the new APFS format and then leave the other QTY 3 x 3TB Internal HDs alone... will an APFS formatted drive be able to copy files onto a standard legacy formatted Hard Drive..?

I use Timemachine and a 15TB Drobo drive to backup all my data, but I don't want to upgrade and break my workflow to system... what would be the best thing to do... I heard you can Opt-Out of the whole new APFS file system upgrade ?

Any comments much appreciated.

Regards,
Anthony

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    1: it will migrate your SSD to APFS, without a reformat.
    2: It will leave your hard drives alone.
    3: An APFS drive will be able to copy files to a HFS+ hard drive in High Sierra.
    4: The Drobo will be unaffected.

You can NOT opt out of the release High Sierra APFS migration, if you have a SSD for a boot drive.
    edited September 2017 amcliz
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thank you sooo much Mike... so it would be safe to upgrade to High Sierra when it does arrive.... once of course all my key workflow apps are fully supported.... ?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Hi again Mike...

I have all my key workflow app on my main startup SSD drive... so would this help with overall performance on such an old MacPro 12 Core:-

– 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

– 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

– ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB

Thanks again for your comments and input.

• Reply 4 of 6
    Assuming your apps are supported, you should be fine. Do check before you update. I really have no idea if performance will be better for you or not, I'm afraid. Time will tell.

What you can do to help yourself out is get a PCI-E card for your SSD. A new drive isn't required, but your SATA backplane is SATA-2 on the 5,1. Fine for your hard drives, but you could be choking the max speed of your SSD some with it.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Super stuff Mike.... thank you again for taking the time out to drop me your replies and comments. Very much appreciated.

PS. Greetings from Ireland... :)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    amcliz said:
    Super stuff Mike.... thank you again for taking the time out to drop me your replies and comments. Very much appreciated.

PS. Greetings from Ireland... :)
    Any time. Greetings from just south of Washington D.C.!