iPhone X with 3D camera appears to support 'animoji' capturing facial expressions in iOS 1...

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
The leaked iOS 11 GM continues to shed light on new features including 3D animated emoji that respond to a user's facial expressions for users with what now appears to be called the iPhone X -- and looks to be called "animoji."

The "animoji" facial expression capture appears to be exclusive to the high-end OLED iPhone expected at the Sept. 12 release event. The feature takes advantage of the new device's 3D camera support to customize the emoji based on facial expressions detected by the camera.

It is not clear if they can be sent to devices without the 3d camera -- but it appears probable.

Developer Steven Troughton-Smith tweeted images of the many animals that will take advantage of the 3D customization. Among them are pigs, robots, chimpanzees, cats, chickens, puppies, fox, panda, and unicorns, and the poop emoji

and unicorns, and pandas, foxes, many more. All the furry types covered This is your system-seller pic.twitter.com/zp24CaimZ5

-- Steve T-S (@stroughtonsmith)

A other code gleaned from the iOS 11 GM firmware includes a massive list of expressions recognizable by the camera.

Assuming the labels are correct, and included in the iPhone X launch version of iOS 11, the "iPhone X" camera at launch should support recognition of multiple facial expressions by detecting a range of facial movements, such as eye squints, eye brow raising and lowering, lip stretching, lips open, mouth dimples, mouth frowns, sneers, and more, along with an ability to judge whether a face is happy or sad.

Apple is expected to announce three new iPhones with the high-end OLED model, and two other devices expected at a Sept. 12 press event. Also expected is a refresh of the Apple TV adding 4K video as a playback option, and an LTE-equipped Apple Watch.

Earlier on Saturday, the firmware divulged that Apple is intending to call the high-end OLED version the iPhone X, with the conventional LED phones named the iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Here comes the Apple-squandering-resources-on-more-emoji-technology-hate-crew in 3...2...1...
    edited September 2017 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Awesome ... love it !👍👍😀
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Seems like the emoji part of this could be used for several things.  I guess it could read expressions to select an emoji from the list?  Maybe it would let you create a 3D animated emoji clip you could then send to people?  None of this seems super exciting - am I missing something?

The pure facial recognition part of this is interesting, but again - what is it for?  Surely it has a use other than composing an emoji clip.
    doozydozencornchip[Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    This seems like an overly simplistic explanation, but here goes:

If you can't think of a good use for it, then it's probably not for you/us.

I don't need this feature, and I'm willing to bet that AI readers as a whole don't. However, while I think animoji are unnecessary for me, I think it’ll be a phone selling feature, heavily pushed by Apple for the iPhone crowd, and will be sought after by the masses.
    welshdogradarthekatfastasleepdoozydozenmacky the mackybeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 21
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    welshdog said:
    Seems like the emoji part of this could be used for several things.  I guess it could read expressions to select an emoji from the list?  Maybe it would let you create a 3D animated emoji clip you could then send to people?  None of this seems super exciting - am I missing something?

The pure facial recognition part of this is interesting, but again - what is it for?  Surely it has a use other than composing an emoji clip.
    I'm hoping that facial 3D will allow a specific expression to be used for Face Unlock. With all these expressions being recognizable in software, it would be daft to not do so. And much more secure. 
    welshdogradarthekat
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Wait a minute! Didn't someone here predict this about a month ago?  I remember because I said it was a totally useless and utterly brilliant idea because the kids would love it. 
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Kids, teens and some adults would love this. I would love this.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    This is Apple being Apple, whether you use it or not, it's a bit of fun buried in deep technology. Apple have always done stuff like this. I miss the photoshop Adobe begone wizard.
    cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Stepping aside for a while, this seemingly cutesy animoji is an Augmented Reality by mimicking the emoji to follow the human expression. Now think of the possibility what it can do. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 10 of 21
    This will be folded into games for avatars that look and act like you in no time flat.
    asdasddoozydozencornchip
  • Reply 11 of 21
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Now this is what the term Facial Recognition is all about.  😏
    doozydozencornchip
  • Reply 12 of 21
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    This will be huge with kids. 

At the moment it looks like y can send an emoji that's the equivalent of your expression but it may be that there will be an avatar that represents you in real time for FB conversations. Or whatever. Games could use that a lot. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 21
    asdasd said:
    This will be huge with kids.  
    Yeah, they will appropriate the animojis to make crude expressions, like sucking a d#%k, threatening to slit your throat (if emoji hands are incorporated) and many more. Those innovative little f#%ks. 
  • Reply 14 of 21
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member

I don't need this feature, and I'm willing to bet that AI readers as a whole don't. However, while I think animoji are unnecessary for me, I think it’ll be a phone selling feature, heavily pushed by Apple for the iPhone crowd, and will be sought after by the masses.
    I think it's even more than that. Think about it. Apple has harnessed emojis this way before recently; yes the touch bar. Apple are world class at laying down technological tracks and getting people to slowly adopt at a natural pace. Emoji is just a super simple tool Apple can use to demo their concepts. They don't have to concept a new app or anything to get their point across. It's something that everyone is instantly familiar with. So it might be a selling point for the masses in that way. Bonus for Apple. But it's the devs apple is really after, and it's the devs that see past the emoji to what can really be done. Apple has some pretty good ideas about what the tech can do, but they're willing to bet the devs will be able to take care of some of it for them. And the people slowly adopt. 
    palominedoozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 21
    cornchip said:

I think it's even more than that. Think about it. Apple has harnessed emojis this way before recently; yes the touch bar. Apple are world class at laying down technological tracks and getting people to slowly adopt at a natural pace. Emoji is just a super simple tool Apple can use to demo their concepts. They don't have to concept a new app or anything to get their point across. It's something that everyone is instantly familiar with. So it might be a selling point for the masses in that way. Bonus for Apple. But it's the devs apple is really after, and it's the devs that see past the emoji to what can really be done. Apple has some pretty good ideas about what the tech can do, but they're willing to bet the devs will be able to take care of some of it for them. And the people slowly adopt. 
    The Japanese buyers will be all over the animojis... maybe the Chinese too, but the Japanese for sure!
    palominedoozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 21
    If this thing can recognise expressions then can we tell the phone not to authenticate if my eyes are closed or averted?

You don't want the kids unlocking your phone while you're asleep. 
    doozydozencornchip
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Rayz2016 said:
    If this thing can recognise expressions then can we tell the phone not to authenticate if my eyes are closed or averted?

Huh. Interesting scenario. I would hope Apple thought of that. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 21
    palomine said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Huh. Interesting scenario. I would hope Apple thought of that. 
    Well, I suppose they could alway use your finger while you're asleep, but you'd be more likely to wake up.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I love this idea, but feel it's just a way to get us to welcome the "always watching" camera on our devices. First we have the "always listening" microphone for "Hey Siri" "Alexa", and "Okay Google" - This is just the next evolution into evading privacy. Feel free to call me paranoid, but we've gotten very relaxed with our privacy and it's going to be our downfall in the future.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 20 of 21
    appleric said:
    I love this idea, but feel it's just a way to get us to welcome the "always watching" camera on our devices. First we have the "always listening" microphone for "Hey Siri" "Alexa", and "Okay Google" - This is just the next evolution into evading privacy. Feel free to call me paranoid, but we've gotten very relaxed with our privacy and it's going to be our downfall in the future.
    Are you kidding? That's already happened. The Equifax hack has permanently exposed THE most critically important information we individually strive to protect in America. Social Security number privacy is key to financial control, yet it's all out there now. That at least half of the entire country hasn't descended on Washington with torches and pitchforks illustrates the failure of the public and the media to comprehend the severity of what has happened.
    edited September 2017