travel in china

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
my wife are going to china in 2003, we plan to send updates via email or web-page to friends and family back home.

i plan to buy an ibook for the trip.

i was wondering if anyone had any experience in this area, and could offer any tips; regarding power adapters, connecting to the internet, or any other pitfalls I should know about.

I have a full year to prepare so any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    i regularly take my iBook into China.

here is the general status:

-larger international scale hotels have broadband. most will connect with mac browsers with no problem.

-smaller hotels, regional level hotels, or china tourist hotels have internet connections via regular modem. however, these connections generally dont work very well, for some reason

-i still find many places that can connect to a windows machine, but not a mac.

-there are internet cafes in all cities of most sizes. however, most will not allow you to connect yr own machine; also, due to the horrendous fire a few months ago that killed several, the chinese authorities are shutting down more and more of these internet cafes now.

-the mac power unit accomodates china current, but you just need to get the plug adapter to fit its prongs

good luck.

[ 11-12-2002: Message edited by: niji ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 3
    IF your hotel has it, or if you can find a cyber cafe or something that supports it, 802.11b is a good way to connect overseas (just get an AirPort card with the computer). You will usually pay a small fee to get the password for the network, but I've never had any "Macs dont work" problems.

I've never been in China outside of Hong Kong, but this method works well in lots of places in the South Pacific and Asia.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    People already covered what I was going to say.

-The western styled hotels I stayed at when I was in China all head "Business Centers" with internet connectivity, but they all had their own computers. I didn't try an internet cafe.

-Also, someone already mentioned this, but I assume your power adapter would work with their voltage. Both the video camera and digital camera that we brought had power adapters that supported 110v-230v and 50-60Hz. I believe all of the hotels I stayed in had plug adapters in anticipation of guests with foreign electronics.

Anyway, best of luck in China. Have fun!

Andrew

PS: I weent to China this summer. Check out the <a href="http://andrewhitchcock.org/gallery/china/"; target="_blank">pictures</a>.