Apple's macOS High Sierra coming Sept. 25, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11 due Sept. 19

Posted:
in macOS
Apple on Tuesday revealed that macOS High Sierra will officially launch on Sept. 25, while two other anticipated software updates, watchOS 4 and tvOS 11, will arrive alongside iOS 11 on Sept. 19.

Gold masters of the watchOS and tvOS updates are now available to registered developers. The High Sierra GM, however, is notably absent.

High Sierra brings the Apple File System to the Mac for the first time, while introducing support for a variety of other standards such as HEVC video, HEIF image encoding, and Apple's Metal 2 graphics platform, which supports technology like external GPUs. As usual Apple is also improving built-in apps like Safari, Mail, Notes, and Photos.

watchOS 4 adds new watchfaces such as a dedicated Siri option, along with an upgraded Workout app, high-intensity interval training (HIIT), and GymKit, a new Apple standard that interfaces with some gym machines. An updated Activity app provides coaching and regular challenges, and third-party apps should both run faster and have access to more features.

tvOS 11 is a comparatively simple update with notification support, automatic light/dark switching, homescreen sync for multi-unit households, and some other minor enhancements. It will however ship on the Apple TV 4K, due Sept. 22.

Arriving the same day is the Apple Watch Series 3, which will add LTE support for phone calls, directions, music streaming and more. Notably, watchOS will get an Apple Music interface sometime in October.

iOS 11 is coming to the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, shipping Sept. 22 and Nov. 3, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    FYI: Just installed latest public bèta iOS 11. (with localized release notes for the first time)
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ...last chance to buy new or refurbished hardware on a relatively debugged Applecare supported if auto image tagging Sierra OS and pre AI, infrared facial ID, home and biometric data enabled iOS... Let the next round of calendar driven fun and games begin...
    edited September 2017 dysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 3
    The most recent Developer Beta I have on my MacBook Pro still shows some issues.
    Bank of America's website has issues on Safari on the Developer Beta that only surfaced with the most recent build. It works fine on Chromium, Chrome and Vivaldi , but not on Safari- it comes up to a different landing page that say it does not recognize my login.
    As my login works fine on every other web browser and on all iOS versions (including 11 Pubic Beta) and on the current release version of Sierra, it is Safari or BoA.