3D Touch app switcher shortcut will return to iOS 11, says Apple's Craig Federighi

Posted:
in iPhone
A 3D Touch gesture used to launch the iOS app switcher -- removed in iOS 11 -- will return in a future software update, according to Apple's senior VP of Software Engineering, Craig Federighi.

"We regretfully had to temporarily drop support for this gesture due to a technical constraint," Federighi explained in response to an email by MacRumors reader Adam Zahn. "We will be bringing it back in an upcoming iOS 11.x update."

The option let people with an iPhone 6s or later press down on the left half of the screen, swipe right and release to open the app switcher, instead of double-tapping the home button. The gesture broke with the iOS 11 beta, and Apple later admitted it was a deliberate decision.

In his email, Federighi didn't explain what he meant by a "technical constraint," or when iOS 11 might be patched. The company does however typically issue multiple point releases at the beginning of each iOS cycle, looking to clean up any bugs, security issues, or missing features that couldn't be addressed before launch.

Apple is separately working on updates for the Apple TV 4K and Apple Watch Series 3, which will only ship on Friday. The company is readying Dolby Atmos support for the Apple TV, and a fix for Wi-Fi on the Series 3, which was preventing some review units from connecting to LTE.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    This is great news!  I regretted not having that feature and use it often. 
    cornchipsennen
  • Reply 2 of 14
    it is muscle memory now... and until I get an X, I don't want to learn another.

cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Well... damn...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    What’s this? Apple execs responding to customer emails and giving updates on desired features? “APPLE IS CLEARLY GOING DOWNHILL!”  😎
    edited September 2017 cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 14
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    it is muscle memory now... and until I get an X, I don't want to learn another.

I hear ya... it was the same for me when Slide to Unlock went away. Luckily muscle memory can be reprogrammed as needed. 
    Cheers 
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 6 of 14
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    What’s this? Apple execs responding to customer emails and giving updates on desired features? “APPLE IS CLEARLY GOING DOWNHILL!”  😎
    THIS WOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED IF STEVE WERE ALIVE! [/oblig]
  • Reply 7 of 14
    My only issue that I have noticed, is battery drain. This seems to be a staple of new iOS versions (even after file indexing etc). The issue seems to get fixed with the .01... updates etc, but I gotta revert back to 10.3.3 when I get home. Wait a few more weeks for 11.x when it drops to update to it again.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I'm not sure there's been time to say even after indexing. 
  • Reply 9 of 14
    hypoluxa said:
    My only issue that I have noticed, is battery drain. This seems to be a staple of new iOS versions (even after file indexing etc). The issue seems to get fixed with the .01... updates etc, but I gotta revert back to 10.3.3 when I get home. Wait a few more weeks for 11.x when it drops to update to it again.
    I haven't experienced any battery issues on my iPhone 6s since upgrading to iOS 11.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    macxpress said:
    hypoluxa said:
    I haven't experienced any battery issues on my iPhone 6s since upgrading to iOS 11.
    For me it was listening to music and reading the news app. I watched the battery% just tick away like a clock. Way faster than before I updated from 10.3.3. Im on a 6S as well. I have all the items that need to be shut off to help with battery life etc, but still no dice. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    This is exactly what I've been complaining about. 
  • Reply 12 of 14
    macxpress said:
    hypoluxa said:
    My 6S definitely lost a bit of longevity thru the day after upgrading, I normally have to do a top-up charge midway through my day anyway so it's not an issue for me.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    adm1 said:
    macxpress said:
    hypoluxa said:
    My 6S definitely lost a bit of longevity thru the day after upgrading, I normally have to do a top-up charge midway through my day anyway so it's not an issue for me.
    My 7 has been refusing to fully charge overnight while plugged into the computer for some reason, often requiring me to plug it into a charger when I get to work, which usually does the job. Also, since the release, my iPad and my iPhone have seemed to burn through battery a bit faster in some circumstances, although the iPad seems to be slightly better behaved than it was previously.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    anome said:
    adm1 said:
    macxpress said:
    hypoluxa said:
    My 7 has been refusing to fully charge overnight while plugged into the computer for some reason, often requiring me to plug it into a charger when I get to work, which usually does the job. Also, since the release, my iPad and my iPhone have seemed to burn through battery a bit faster in some circumstances, although the iPad seems to be slightly better behaved than it was previously.
    I'm going to wait out for a few more point updates before I install 11 again, I've been bitten too many times now with this battery drain with new iOS versions. Seemed to have really started with iOS 7 from what I can remember. But I did enjoy 11's new features the short amount of time of using it.