Latest Apple Park drone video shows construction progressing past debut of Steve Jobs Thea...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Sunset drone footage of Apple Park in Cupertino shows that construction is still very much ongoing at the new headquarters, even after this month's public debut of the Steve Jobs Theater.

Crews are continuing to operate within and around the main ring, as well as by the underground tunnel leading people in and out of the campus, video by Matthew Roberts shows. Much of the complex is in its finished state however, including satellite buildings like the Visitor's Center.

Landscaping work is ongoing, but much of the campus is thoroughly populated with new or transplanted trees -- an important step, since the company is aiming for a total of around 9,000.

It's uncertain how long it will take Apple contractors to wrap up construction. Deadlines have repeatedly been extended, and indeed there was once concern that the Steve Jobs Theater wouldn't be ready in time for the company's Sept. 12 iPhone event.

Apple's workforce has been moving into Apple Park for months. The campus should eventually play host to some 12,000 workers, including high-level executives like CEO Tim Cook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Never seizes to utterly impress. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be  Apple's top brass, or anyone at Apple for that matter, and walk / drive around that place. When I bought my house I was chuffed to bits, but this... [mind blown]..
    equality72521
  • Reply 2 of 7
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    The fanboys will probably attack me, but I think the cards are out on what it's going to be like to work there:  getting in and out, having to walk to get to a meeting on the other side of the building, etc.  As I measure it from Google Maps, the spaceship is about 1400' in diameter.   If you had a meeting 180 degrees directly across from you, that's more than a quarter mile (about 5 blocks) walking through the center.   If one takes the indoor route, it's 8/10 of a mile.   Where I last consulted, I didn't even like running up the circular staircase to the floor above, which was less than 20' from my cube.    But I guess all that walking will keep Apple employees in good physical shape.  

Jobs was quoted as saying that the building was designed with the intention of people randomly meeting up with each other to stimulate discussion and ideas, etc.   But I think the opposite could happen:  it's so far to walk anywhere that people could wind up mostly staying in their office/workstation area.   

There also seems to be high solid fencing on the adjoining roads.   Assuming that's permanent, for all the pride in Apple Park, they don't seem to want anyone to see it.

As striking as the spaceship is, one could argue that it's actually quite unfriendly in that it's completely isolated from its surroundings.   I understand Job's motivation to avoid just another boring suburban office park, but there's something to be said for offices that are mixed into the life of the city.   That's why we're seeing modern developments that combine housing, retail, schools, office space and parks.    I have to wonder how we'll view Apple Park ten years from now.  

• Reply 3 of 7
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I’m surprised to see the seemingly open entrance to the main building from N Tantum Road, seen at the very end of the video. I’m sure there’s lots of security, but the entrance is right there. 

It’s also interesting how much better the aerial view of Apple Park is on Google Maps than on Apple Maps - much more recent.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    zoetmb said:
    The fanboys will probably attack me, but I think the cards are out on what it's going to be like to work there:  getting in and out, having to walk to get to a meeting on the other side of the building, etc.  As I measure it from Google Maps, the spaceship is about 1400' in diameter.   If you had a meeting 180 degrees directly across from you, that's more than a quarter mile (about 5 blocks) walking through the center.   If one takes the indoor route, it's 8/10 of a mile.   Where I last consulted, I didn't even like running up the circular staircase to the floor above, which was less than 20' from my cube.    But I guess all that walking will keep Apple employees in good physical shape.  

Jobs was quoted as saying that the building was designed with the intention of people randomly meeting up with each other to stimulate discussion and ideas, etc.   But I think the opposite could happen:  it's so far to walk anywhere that people could wind up mostly staying in their office/workstation area.   

There also seems to be high solid fencing on the adjoining roads.   Assuming that's permanent, for all the pride in Apple Park, they don't seem to want anyone to see it.

As striking as the spaceship is, one could argue that it's actually quite unfriendly in that it's completely isolated from its surroundings.   I understand Job's motivation to avoid just another boring suburban office park, but there's something to be said for offices that are mixed into the life of the city.   That's why we're seeing modern developments that combine housing, retail, schools, office space and parks.    I have to wonder how we'll view Apple Park ten years from now.  

Anyone starting their post with "fanboy" is setting themselves for a kicking just for that word alone; just say your opinion and that's it.
    No need for this extremely annoying word.

Going by what you said:

Most of those people were MUCH FARTHER APART BEFORE cause they were in dozens of buildings all over region.
    You know, they had to drive to get to each other.
    Anyone who has driven in this hellish area can tell you it is worse than a 5-10 minutes walk.

Man, why would people meet regularly with people at the other size, and not say 2 floor down, or inside 200-300 feet on the loop.
    If walking 200-300 feet is killing you, maybe retire from work.
    You think they've purposely put people that need to see each other regularly on each side of the building?

I worked in a large (but not that large building, in Freemont and the building was 350-400 feet wide). I barely ever saw people on the far side.
    Payroll, RH, sales, marketing. 85% of my interactions were with people within 100 feet of my desk.

My mother's 71 and has rhumatoid arthritis for 35 years and walks about 2.3 mph 40 minutes a day despite a new knee and being overweight.
    Even at that slow speed, walking across which would be a worse case, would take about 6 minutes (a few minutes more on each side to get up stairs).

I'm almost 50 and walk at about 3.5-4 mph (when I'm in a hurry), that means walking across takes about 4.-4.5 minutes.
    This is a walk through greenery, sun, coffee shops, I'd actually look forward to that walk instead of taking the inside loop (except when its raining).

This is the worse case you can get. It almost never rains there (2-3 months a year and even in those months, only maybe 1/3 the time). So, cutting across can be done just about anytime

edited September 2017 gilly33
  • Reply 5 of 7
    zoetmb said:

If such a walk is daunting I'd suggest getting out more, perhaps try getting a dog that requires walks. Myself, I've worked in downtown offices, such as Target corporate, and we had multiple buildings and often had to take a 10+ minute trek to another building & floor to meet with another division. Most of my immediate teams resided in the same area or floor in the same building. 
    gilly33
  • Reply 6 of 7
    zoetmb said:

Your argument is built upon the most extreme case, where the individuals proposing to meet are at the greatest possible distance from one another, and get to the meeting by walking around the circumference of the building. Extreme cases are atypical; not the basis for analysis.

You also fail to consider meeting half-way, 700 feet away from both offices in the interior park. Every office is within 700 feet of the park’s center. The video showed pavilions in the park, a lake and likely seating areas. iPads, MacBooks and WiFi provide enough technology for most meetings. Meetings involving several persons are also within about 700 feet for every participant.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 7 of 7
    zoetmb said:

Hey, probably Segway will now finally make some headway!

I think it something like that was in the Speed Racer movie (very underappreciated movie, IMO).

edited September 2017