Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Cool
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
  • Reply 3 of 11
    jpfjpf Posts: 167member
    True story. Ssssh, it is a surpise.

I get into work this morning and start my usual reading the latest news, Mac news included. I read some stories about Yo Yo Ma from other readers describing that they saw the latest Apple Ad last night on TV. Didn't know who he was really, and honestly never heard of him, so I read for about him for about an hour. Really neat guy. I decided to see if he was on tour, maybe my girlfriend and I could catch a show soon.

Nope, he isn't on tour, but he is coming to Atlanta for 1 night show. And it turns out the show is completely a sell out and its been sold out for a while.

I thought, damn, that would have made a great surprise gift. After listening to some of his MP3s, I thought, I've got to get some tickets. His stuff is incredible.

A friend at work told me about a site that sells high dollar really good seats, I might get lucky...and BAM, I did. Completely sold out show and the big man (me) just landed 2 tickets in the Pit section next to the orchestra! Good food, good wine, good concert.... awesome, its going to be a blast!

All because of an Apple Switch Ad. Funny, isn't it?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Ah good, they put it up.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    The Apple switch ads are like Survivor in respect that it makes a psuedo celebrity out of the average Joe. I would love to star in a switch ad!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by JPF:

<strong>True story. Ssssh, it is a surpise.

I get into work this morning and start my usual reading the latest news, Mac news included. I read some stories about Yo Yo Ma from other readers describing that they saw the latest Apple Ad last night on TV. Didn't know who he was really, and honestly never heard of him, so I read for about him for about an hour. Really neat guy. I decided to see if he was on tour, maybe my girlfriend and I could catch a show soon.

Nope, he isn't on tour, but he is coming to Atlanta for 1 night show. And it turns out the show is completely a sell out and its been sold out for a while.

I thought, damn, that would have made a great surprise gift. After listening to some of his MP3s, I thought, I've got to get some tickets. His stuff is incredible.

A friend at work told me about a site that sells high dollar really good seats, I might get lucky...and BAM, I did. Completely sold out show and the big man (me) just landed 2 tickets in the Pit section next to the orchestra! Good food, good wine, good concert.... awesome, its going to be a blast!

All because of an Apple Switch Ad. Funny, isn't it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Man after a night like that you are gonna score big time! Enjoy!

• Reply 7 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Nice score!

Now if you want to double-up on treating your gal go over to <a href="http://www.cirquedusoliel.com"; target="_blank">www.cirquedusoliel.com</a> and sign up as a member and then log into the new "Varekai" show and buy yourselves tickets to the VIP section. They'll be here in April and the tickets will go MEGA-fast. VIP tix are $165 each, but you get into the pre-tent an hour before the show and they stuff you with wine, beer and liquor and h'orsdouvres....plus you get the best seats in the house. This time around they'll be up at the Galleria in Cobb County.

I bought mine two days ago and got an extra so I can take that special girl....whoever that'll be in April~
  • Reply 8 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    "I'm Yo Yo Ma, and I play the cello."

That goes into the "gross understatement" category.

The man is friekin' amazing!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by drewprops:

<strong>Nice score!

Now if you want to double-up on treating your gal go over to <a href="http://www.cirquedusoliel.com"; target="_blank">www.cirquedusoliel.com</a> and sign up as a member and then log into the new "Varekai" show....</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Cirque is amazing - and maybe I'll see you next April, as I take my wife every time they come to town.

And yes, Yo Yo Ma is a phenom all his own - for a serious case of virtuoso shivers, check out his performance of Bach's 6 Suites for Solo Cello - magick!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jpfjpf Posts: 167member
    [quote]Originally posted by drewprops:

<strong>Nice score!

Now if you want to double-up on treating your gal go over to <a href="http://www.cirquedusoliel.com"; target="_blank">www.cirquedusoliel.com</a> and sign up as a member and then log into the new "Varekai" show and buy yourselves tickets to the VIP section. They'll be here in April and the tickets will go MEGA-fast. VIP tix are $165 each, but you get into the pre-tent an hour before the show and they stuff you with wine, beer and liquor and h'orsdouvres....plus you get the best seats in the house. This time around they'll be up at the Galleria in Cobb County.

I bought mine two days ago and got an extra so I can take that special girl....whoever that'll be in April~</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's an amazing show too! I saw the circus about 2 years ago. Its pretty awesome.

I paid $200 beans for each Yo Yo Ma ticket. I called the ticket office to find out where we are sitting, they said that we are going to be soooo close, we could tell the time on Yo Yo Ma's wristwatch. SWEETTTTTT!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Saying Yo Yo Ma is a psuedo star is a horrible understatement. He is quite possibly the most technically advanced cellist in the world. Rostropovich doesn't even come close, of course he is extremely old too but never the less. If you want to hear a really good piece or two I highly suggest the Dvorak Cello concerto in B minor. This piece is the most technically demaning piece (not to mention incredible/beautiful/astounding piece) for the cello. Definately check it out. Another great solo piece is by Mark O'Connor called Appalachia Waltz also amazing. The whole piece is double stops!!! Pretty much when Yo Yo Ma sits down to prepare a piece he does not have to worry about technique and he just plays the music. This is why he is the greatest cellist of all time.