Samsung still waiting on App Store approval to make Gear Fit2 Pro iPhone-compatible

Posted:
in iPhone
Although the Gear Fit2 Pro went on sale Sept. 15, Samsung is still waiting for Apple to publish a companion iOS app before the fitness tracker can gain promised iPhone compatibility.

"We look forward to iOS support for Gear Fit2 Pro pending approval in the App Store," Samsung said in a statement seen by CNET, which is postponing a review until the app becomes available. Apple didn't reply to the site's inquiries.

Samsung has had iPhone support for Gear devices since January, dependent on custom apps not just to connect to the wearables but to change settings, download apps, and/or manage health data. None of the company's current iPhone apps support the Gear Fit2 Pro.

It's not clear whether Samsung was simply late to submit the app or there are deeper issues, such as bugs or rules violations.

Apple released the Apple Watch Series 3 on Sept. 22, just days after the Fit2 Pro, adding upgrades like LTE support. While Samsung's product is cheaper and not meant to compete directly, Apple may be benefitting to small degree from the Fit2 Pro's exclusion from iPhones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    "It's not clear whether Samsung was simply late to submit the app or there are deeper issues, such as bugs or rules violations."

It's clearly not Apple's fault based on the fact there are other Apps already in The App Store for different Gear models. So Samsung was either late to submit, or had to make a few changes to their App because it didn't fully meet requirements.

But I'm sure people will like to spin it as Apple intentionally trying to cause trouble for Samsung, as if they run their store like a 12 year old would.
    SolimacseekerGrimzahncornchipwatto_cobrapscooter63RacerhomieXStrangeDaysflashfan207tmay
  • Reply 2 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    "It's not clear whether Samsung was simply late to submit the app or there are deeper issues, such as bugs or rules violations."

It's clearly not Apple's fault based on the fact there are other Apps already in The App Store for different Gear models. So Samsung was either late to submit, or had to make a few changes to their App because it didn't fully meet requirements.

But I'm sure people will like to spin it as Apple intentionally trying to cause trouble for Samsung, as if they run their store like a 12 year old would.
    Even with the Samsung apps on the App Store precedence there would be no reason for anyone to think Apple is stonewalling Samsung because they're threatened by their product, the way Amazon wouldn't release an Apple TV app or sell the Apple TV through their store.
    RacerhomieXgatorguyStrangeDaysflashfan207
  • Reply 3 of 18
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    Soli said:

Even with the Samsung apps on the App Store precedence there would be no reason for anyone to think Apple is stonewalling Samsung because they're threatened by their product, the way Amazon wouldn't release an Apple TV app or sell the Apple TV through their store.
    Actually, sarcasm noted, Apple should be able to use Amazon's product discrimination as a way to keep all Samsung apps out of the App Store. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    rob53 said:
    Soli said:

Actually, sarcasm noted, Apple should be able to use Amazon's product discrimination as a way to keep all Samsung apps out of the App Store. 
    1) To be clear, I wasn't being sarcastic in my comment. I don't see any reason for Apple to be threatened by Samsung Gear.

2) I'm not a fan of any product discrimination. Sometimes we see people point a finger at Apple for not carrying Withings after the Nokia buyout or Nest after the Google buyout, but those we taking off shelves because of retail negotiations—not because Apple wasn't against making money on someone else's product. Hell, the Withings thing happened about 8 years after Nokia was even relevant in the smartphone business.
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    For all the shit Samscum has stolen from Apple I would not allow them to enter my product eco-system. 
    watto_cobraRacerhomieXmagman1979
  • Reply 6 of 18
    1) At $200 an Apple Watch would seem to make more sense for iPhone users.

2) Are they copying Jawbone with that one model?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    This news belongs to android sites.
    magman1979cali
  • Reply 8 of 18
    jsmythe00 said:
    Folks. You’re stressing about nothing. Let Apple approve the app. 

What iphone user is going to use this Gear crap over an Apple Watch. 
    who’s stressing? who’s not letting apple approve the app?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    wood1208 said:
    This news belongs to android sites.
    Why? It has nothing to do with Google Play or even an Android device. 
  • Reply 10 of 18
    gatorguy said:
    You’re splitting hairs.  Also, distracting from the fact that this really isn’t a concern for anyone in Apple’s ecosystem.  I guess you gotta be you.  :-)
    cali
  • Reply 11 of 18
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    As an app developer I have some experience about the reasons and the procedure for app approval.  A first version of an app can sometimes be refused for very stupid reasons.
    One of my apps manages the contact details of the members of non profit organisations.  I forgot to mention in the comments of the app approval process why the app needed the email address (rather obvious for such an app) and Apple refused it.  This is of course quickly solved in a new approval cyclus but this takes a few days.  Samsung can have similar issues
    Another point might be iOS 11.  Even if you develop against the latest beta version,  you always have to do regression tests when the final version is launched.  And regression tests can lead to new bugs, which take again time to solve
    netmage
  • Reply 12 of 18
    cali said:
    For all the shit Samscum has stolen from Apple I would not allow them to enter my product eco-system. 
    Hah! That is funny. Apple has spent the last 5 years blatantly copying every Android software and hardware feature it can turning their phones into carbon copies of the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note, transforming Apple TV and Apple Watch into clones of the pre-existing competition - Samsung watches had 4G and GPS and NFL years ago and Amazon and Nvidia boxes had 4K - and you are still talking about minor trade dress issues from 2011? That's funny ... suppose Samsung were to sue over the no bezel no home button curved screen design that Apple blatantly adopted? Apple has made major redesigns the iPhone to mimic the Galaxy twice since the iPhone 5c and that doesn't count the Android and Touchwiz features that are now in iOS! Seriously you need to face reality here ... Apple fans lost that argument years ago when Apple stopped coming up with cool ideas of their own. Which is why they are following Google, Amazon and Microsoft by trying to get into AR, AI and services now. How innovative and exciting of them!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    gatorguy said:
    You’re splitting hairs.  Also, distracting from the fact that this really isn’t a concern for anyone in Apple’s ecosystem.  I guess you gotta be you.  :-)
    LOL. Splitting hairs?? Heck it's an entirely different hairdo on someone else's head.

Again it has zero to do with anything Android, and everything to do with the App Store and a a Gear2 app from Samsung that is pending approval there. I'll assume based on your reply you've no idea why you would not go to an Android news site to read about it. If you take two minutes to look at the Gear2 specs first instead of typing a reply you'll figure it out. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 14 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:
    Hah! That is funny. Apple has spent the last 5 years blatantly copying every Android software and hardware feature it can turning their phones into carbon copies of the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note, transforming Apple TV and Apple Watch into clones of the pre-existing competition - Samsung watches had 4G and GPS and NFL years ago and Amazon and Nvidia boxes had 4K - and you are still talking about minor trade dress issues from 2011? That's funny ... suppose Samsung were to sue over the no bezel no home button curved screen design that Apple blatantly adopted? Apple has made major redesigns the iPhone to mimic the Galaxy twice since the iPhone 5c and that doesn't count the Android and Touchwiz features that are now in iOS! Seriously you need to face reality here ... Apple fans lost that argument years ago when Apple stopped coming up with cool ideas of their own. Which is why they are following Google, Amazon and Microsoft by trying to get into AR, AI and services now. How innovative and exciting of them!
    The sad thing is no matter what android does it’s still a crap Apple knockoff because that’s the foundation of it.

Using your logic Samsung didn’t invent anything  that went into it’s iPhone knockoffs(iPad knockoffs are dead).

Curved screen? The Apple patent Samsung stole from Apple? Really? Moron.

Selectively ignoring FaceID and how that camera array was build from the ground up, Apple Pay and several other features that aren’t open source shows you’re the typical angry jealous iKnockoff user. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    cali said:
    Yeah right man — having the same spec like 4G or GPS or 4k is nothing like having the same product. Nobody is going to mistake your samsung knockoff junk for an Apple Watch. No one. That’s what sets Apple gear apart from your knockoffs...its not about specs. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 16 of 18
    rob53 said:
    Soli said:

...and get their OLED supply frozen. How intelligent that would be.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    rob53 said:
    Soli said:

...and get their OLED supply frozen. How intelligent that would be.