Is there a fast 68k browser that works with AI?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have an LC III+ at home (my G4 is at the dorm) and I use Netscape 2.02 on it because it's so fast for a graphical browser. However, I have problems with AI on it. I have Java turned off to reduce the bugginess, but even with Java on, it won't render the list of forums below the headers on the page, and it won't show me the list of topics in any of the forums if I'm even able to get into them. I've resorted to using iCab for 68k on it because it works, but it's SO slow.

Is there a 68k browser that will work with the AppleInsider forums? iCab is apparently designed for faster 68040s and my 33 MHz 68030 just can't quite handle it (though I am typing this in iCab so it is usable). Netscape 2 is very fast, almost as good as the WannaBe text-only browser, but it still doesn't work with the forums.

For all you saying I should get a faster computer, I would have to say three things:

1. My LC III+ is quite fast if I use system 7.1 and older versions of applications (like Netscape 2, Eudora 1.3.1, and AIM 2.5).

2. It is very reliable despite its age, giving me no hardware problems so far (unlike my 7500).

3. My 7500 just got a G3/400 upgrade card and it'll be usable as soon as I get a new graphics card for it. The onboard video died. So I'm on the LC III+ until my brother gets his PCI Radeon... then I can put his Rage 128 PCI in my 7500.

Anyway, low end computing is very fun! All the software is free, and the hardware is very available and extremely cheap. My LC III+ setup cost me a Radius SE PDS 68020 accelerator card, which I bought with an SE for $16. I still have the SE but it's not set up now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    If I recall correctly there was an actual version of Internet Explorer 4.5 for 68k. I found it once and haven't been able to find it again. It might do the job for you as IE on classic is generally pretty good speed-wise.

Nick
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think I found a pretty good balance. I downloaded Netscape 3.04 Gold and it is a little faster than iCab and more compatible than Netscape 2.02. Looks like I'll be able to post here with my LC III+ after all.

By the way, I found a browser called "Instant Space" that's based on Internet Explorer, but apparently a bit smaller and with fewer features (less bloat). Unfortunately it's a bit buggy, and very slow. Perhaps IE 4 for 68k would be better, but I don't expect it to be any better than Netscape 3 or iCab.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I think the newest version of Netscape for 68k is 4.0.something.

Interesting about 4.5, but officially 4.0.1 is the newest version for 68k.

And iCab....yuck.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Funny enough, my LC III+ is so far the most reliable computer I've owned. It has no hardware or software issues and it reliably boots up and works every single time. My brother's blue G3 has had extensive hard drive problems. My 7500 will not boot up properly after installing a G3 card, and now it doesn't even work with the stock processor either. My Wallstreet had quite a few hardware problems including a failed IDE controller, a semi-loose screen, broken PC card slots, and a dying hard drive.

So the most reliable computers have been my mom's blue G3 (which has been essentially untouched since we replaced the dead G3 ZIF with a G4), my dad's Titanium (which is also pretty much untouched, and somewhat new), my LC III+, and my brother's Quadra 950.