New video rumored to show close-up of Apple car's updated 'Project Titan' testbed

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2017
A short video clip is said to show updated test hardware for Apple's self-driving car platform, suggesting that the company is making some progress.




The new system includes an assortment of cameras and radar units, as well as six Velodyne LIDAR sensors, all housed in white plastic. The 10-second video was shot by MacCallister Higgins, the co-founder of a self-driving startup called Voyage. Another Twitter poster said he snapped a photo of the same hardware "a few weeks ago" when a car pulled up to an Apple shuttle stop, waited, then continued on.

Speaking with The Verge, Higgins speculated that Apple's computing hardware is likely situated on the roof of the cars -- unlike other companies' self-driving vehicles, which normally move that equipment into the trunk.

Going to need more than 140 characters to go over 's Project Titan. I call it "The Thing" pic.twitter.com/sLDJd7iYSa

-- MacCallister Higgins (@macjshiggins)


Apple has been largely quiet on its self-driving efforts, apart from confirming that it is doing research and development. Its hand was likely tipped by the need to drive on public roads.

The company's long-term goal is thought to be the ridehailing market, likely in partnership with other firms rather than anything operated by itself. In the meantime it's said to be developing a "PAIL" (Palo Alto to Infinite Loop) shuttle for its workers, which might explain the behavior of test vehicles.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,278member
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,962member
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Proof of concept stage.

    Now comes Apple's secret sauce to miniaturize it.
    repressthismattinoz
  • Reply 3 of 30
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 394member
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Proof of concept stage.

    Now comes Apple's secret sauce to miniaturize it.
    Remember when the iPhone was in development? They were essentially testing huge bricks because they could not see what the final product was going to look like.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,278member
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Proof of concept stage.

    Now comes Apple's secret sauce to miniaturize it.
    I'm not talking about size.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,962member
    Soli said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Proof of concept stage.

    Now comes Apple's secret sauce to miniaturize it.
    I'm not talking about size.
    I'm not only talking about street level mapping; one leads to the other.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,117member
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Proof of concept stage.

    Now comes Apple's secret sauce to miniaturize it.
    No, next comes testing...
    and more testing....
    and then some more testing.  

    Miniaturization is not likely at the top of the list yet IMHO. Unless they are building their own car the need to miniaturize the sensing equipment may not EVER be at the very top of the list. Dozens of companies are already working on that aspect. 
    edited October 2017 repressthis
  • Reply 7 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,962member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Proof of concept stage.

    Now comes Apple's secret sauce to miniaturize it.
    No, next comes testing...
    and more testing....
    and then some more testing.  

    Miniaturization is not likely at the top of the list yet IMHO. Unless they are building their own car the need to miniaturize the sensing equipment may not EVER be at the very top of the list. Dozens of companies are already working on that aspect. 
    From the verge article;

    "When I asked Higgins if he caught a look at the compute stack, he replied that it was likely located on the roof with the sensors. That would be a departure from other self-driving car operators, who typically load their high-powered GPUs in the vehicles’ spacious trunks."

    If Apple is considering building the sensor package, then, yes, they would have miniaturization on their roadmap, and this is yet another step in that direction.
    repressthis
  • Reply 8 of 30
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Proof of concept stage.

    Now comes Apple's secret sauce to miniaturize it.
    I heard from my super secret sources that they will fit all the sensors in one convent notch, a cutout on the top of the windshield that will anger tech pundits.
    Rayz2016patchythepiratecalioneof52LordeHawkanantksundaram[Deleted User]beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 9 of 30
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 539member

    Since the apparent hiatus put on automotive hardware design, I’m quite baffled as to why Apple is continuing with autonomous vehicle software (and sensor?) development.  The two really should go hand in hand.

    Unless, and I doubt this to be the case, they are going the AppleTV route and designing a system that can be added on to existing cars.  Maybe you sync an iPhone to a car and it drives it??!  Nah.

    If Apple has a secret diabolical plan to upend the auto industry and rule it with an iron fist they’re keeping it really really well hidden.  And given that Apple has a spotty track record of keeping things secret, well, I’m not as hopeful as I wish I was.

    repressthis
  • Reply 10 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,117member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Proof of concept stage.

    Now comes Apple's secret sauce to miniaturize it.
    No, next comes testing...
    and more testing....
    and then some more testing.  

    Miniaturization is not likely at the top of the list yet IMHO. Unless they are building their own car the need to miniaturize the sensing equipment may not EVER be at the very top of the list. Dozens of companies are already working on that aspect. 
    From the verge article;

    "When I asked Higgins if he caught a look at the compute stack, he replied that it was likely located on the roof with the sensors. That would be a departure from other self-driving car operators, who typically load their high-powered GPUs in the vehicles’ spacious trunks."

    If Apple is considering building the sensor package, then, yes, they would have miniaturization on their roadmap, and this is yet another step in that direction.
    Yes I read the article. Who knows other than Apple if they'll ever choose to build a car themselves. I suspect they won't but it would not be the first time I was mistaken.
    Apple is not the only company for-going the trunk FWIW.  I would imagine anyone doing a ridesharing service might need the storage for passenger stuff. In Apple's case ya gotta have somewhere to put the backpack with the overnite gear when they're toting employee's around the campus  :)

    edited October 2017
  • Reply 11 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,962member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Proof of concept stage.

    Now comes Apple's secret sauce to miniaturize it.
    No, next comes testing...
    and more testing....
    and then some more testing.  

    Miniaturization is not likely at the top of the list yet IMHO. Unless they are building their own car the need to miniaturize the sensing equipment may not EVER be at the very top of the list. Dozens of companies are already working on that aspect. 
    From the verge article;

    "When I asked Higgins if he caught a look at the compute stack, he replied that it was likely located on the roof with the sensors. That would be a departure from other self-driving car operators, who typically load their high-powered GPUs in the vehicles’ spacious trunks."

    If Apple is considering building the sensor package, then, yes, they would have miniaturization on their roadmap, and this is yet another step in that direction.
    Yes I read the article. Who knows other than Apple if they'll ever choose to build a car themselves. I suspect they won't but it would not be the first time I was mistaken.
    Apple is not the only company for-going the trunk FWIW. 

    Image result for google self driving car images
    Apple has a connection with Lyft.

    Developing the electronics for autonomous vehicles doesn't mean building a car, but it would be in Apple's interest to build for someone else's.

  • Reply 12 of 30
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,791member
    gatorguy said:

    Miniaturization is not likely at the top of the list yet IMHO. Unless they are building their own car the need to miniaturize the sensing equipment may not EVER be at the very top of the list. Dozens of companies are already working on that aspect. 
    As you say...If Apple is building their own car, then concealing all that hardware would be a high priority.

    The general public will take some considerable convincing before they would purchase a car with all that stuff on the roof, but they might not mind if it was just a ride sharing vehicle.
    repressthis
  • Reply 13 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,117member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Proof of concept stage.

    Now comes Apple's secret sauce to miniaturize it.
    No, next comes testing...
    and more testing....
    and then some more testing.  

    Miniaturization is not likely at the top of the list yet IMHO. Unless they are building their own car the need to miniaturize the sensing equipment may not EVER be at the very top of the list. Dozens of companies are already working on that aspect. 
    From the verge article;

    "When I asked Higgins if he caught a look at the compute stack, he replied that it was likely located on the roof with the sensors. That would be a departure from other self-driving car operators, who typically load their high-powered GPUs in the vehicles’ spacious trunks."

    If Apple is considering building the sensor package, then, yes, they would have miniaturization on their roadmap, and this is yet another step in that direction.
    Yes I read the article. Who knows other than Apple if they'll ever choose to build a car themselves. I suspect they won't but it would not be the first time I was mistaken.
    Apple is not the only company for-going the trunk FWIW. 

    Apple has a connection with Lyft.

    Developing the electronics for autonomous vehicles doesn't mean building a car, but it would be in Apple's interest to build for someone else's.

    I don't recall Apple supposedly working with Lyft, who is already partnered with both GM and Waymo but perhaps so. You might be confusing it with Hertz maintaining a half-dozen cars for Apple? 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 14 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,962member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Proof of concept stage.

    Now comes Apple's secret sauce to miniaturize it.
    No, next comes testing...
    and more testing....
    and then some more testing.  

    Miniaturization is not likely at the top of the list yet IMHO. Unless they are building their own car the need to miniaturize the sensing equipment may not EVER be at the very top of the list. Dozens of companies are already working on that aspect. 
    From the verge article;

    "When I asked Higgins if he caught a look at the compute stack, he replied that it was likely located on the roof with the sensors. That would be a departure from other self-driving car operators, who typically load their high-powered GPUs in the vehicles’ spacious trunks."

    If Apple is considering building the sensor package, then, yes, they would have miniaturization on their roadmap, and this is yet another step in that direction.
    Yes I read the article. Who knows other than Apple if they'll ever choose to build a car themselves. I suspect they won't but it would not be the first time I was mistaken.
    Apple is not the only company for-going the trunk FWIW. 

    Apple has a connection with Lyft.

    Developing the electronics for autonomous vehicles doesn't mean building a car, but it would be in Apple's interest to build for someone else's.

    I don't recall Apple supposedly working with Lyft, who is already partnered with both GM and Waymo but perhaps so. You might be confusing it with Hertz maintaining a half-dozen cars for Apple? 
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-apples-investment-in-lyft-coalition-could-lead-to-iphone-integration-2016-05-13
  • Reply 15 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,117member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Proof of concept stage.

    Now comes Apple's secret sauce to miniaturize it.
    No, next comes testing...
    and more testing....
    and then some more testing.  

    Miniaturization is not likely at the top of the list yet IMHO. Unless they are building their own car the need to miniaturize the sensing equipment may not EVER be at the very top of the list. Dozens of companies are already working on that aspect. 
    From the verge article;

    "When I asked Higgins if he caught a look at the compute stack, he replied that it was likely located on the roof with the sensors. That would be a departure from other self-driving car operators, who typically load their high-powered GPUs in the vehicles’ spacious trunks."

    If Apple is considering building the sensor package, then, yes, they would have miniaturization on their roadmap, and this is yet another step in that direction.
    Yes I read the article. Who knows other than Apple if they'll ever choose to build a car themselves. I suspect they won't but it would not be the first time I was mistaken.
    Apple is not the only company for-going the trunk FWIW. 

    Apple has a connection with Lyft.

    Developing the electronics for autonomous vehicles doesn't mean building a car, but it would be in Apple's interest to build for someone else's.

    I don't recall Apple supposedly working with Lyft, who is already partnered with both GM and Waymo but perhaps so. You might be confusing it with Hertz maintaining a half-dozen cars for Apple? 
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-apples-investment-in-lyft-coalition-could-lead-to-iphone-integration-2016-05-13
    Reread your article. The investment was in Didi. The author just discusses how it may benefit Lyft. Apple did not invest in Lyft AFAIK, altho a little over a year ago they were one of several companies (Waymo, GM, Didi and others) rumored to have had at least casual discussions with Lyft about a buyout. GM is their largest investor at the moment, and since a purchase would run into $5 billion or more I don't see anyone absorbing them entirely.

    In any event there is no Apple relationship with Lyft as far as I can find.  
    edited October 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,278member
    gatorguy said:
    In any event there is no Apple relationship with Lyft as far as I can find.  
    Regardless of whether they have no connection or an exclusive contract it misses the point of the original post completely. I made a post about one service to get an odd rebuttal about miniaturization, and then you reply about what comes next just to get a comment about a will-they-or-won't-they partnership with Lyft. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Another unsightly camera bump.
    radarthekatSpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Why not do both? Seems logical Apple is collecting data for decades to come. 
  • Reply 19 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,278member
    cali said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Why not do both? Seems logical Apple is collecting data for decades to come. 
    Hence, including the part of the statement that starts off with "not specifically for." I specifically added that to make sure my statement was inclusive!
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 20 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,962member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Proof of concept stage.

    Now comes Apple's secret sauce to miniaturize it.
    No, next comes testing...
    and more testing....
    and then some more testing.  

    Miniaturization is not likely at the top of the list yet IMHO. Unless they are building their own car the need to miniaturize the sensing equipment may not EVER be at the very top of the list. Dozens of companies are already working on that aspect. 
    From the verge article;

    "When I asked Higgins if he caught a look at the compute stack, he replied that it was likely located on the roof with the sensors. That would be a departure from other self-driving car operators, who typically load their high-powered GPUs in the vehicles’ spacious trunks."

    If Apple is considering building the sensor package, then, yes, they would have miniaturization on their roadmap, and this is yet another step in that direction.
    Yes I read the article. Who knows other than Apple if they'll ever choose to build a car themselves. I suspect they won't but it would not be the first time I was mistaken.
    Apple is not the only company for-going the trunk FWIW. 

    Apple has a connection with Lyft.

    Developing the electronics for autonomous vehicles doesn't mean building a car, but it would be in Apple's interest to build for someone else's.

    I don't recall Apple supposedly working with Lyft, who is already partnered with both GM and Waymo but perhaps so. You might be confusing it with Hertz maintaining a half-dozen cars for Apple? 
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-apples-investment-in-lyft-coalition-could-lead-to-iphone-integration-2016-05-13
    Reread your article. The investment was in Didi. The author just discusses how it may benefit Lyft. Apple did not invest in Lyft AFAIK, altho a little over a year ago they were one of several companies (Waymo, GM, Didi and others) rumored to have had at least casual discussions with Lyft about a buyout. GM is their largest investor at the moment, and since a purchase would run into $5 billion or more I don't see anyone absorbing them entirely.

    In any event there is no Apple relationship with Lyft as far as I can find.  
    I'm surmising that Apple didn't give Didi $1B as a passive investment. Whether I'm correct about that or not would still indicate Didi as a connection with Lyft and Apple.
Sign In or Register to comment.