Downloading and Installing High Sierra on the MacBook Air 13" 2017 Core i5

Posted:
in macOS
I am having trouble upgrading my MacBook Air 2017 from Sierra to HighSierra. Since i did not get a Software Update Notification, I downloaded High Sierra from the AppStore. Once it was downloaded i went into the Applications Finder and Opened the HighSierra Installer. I refuses to open. Since i have a limited internet data plan, i did not download it more than twice (the file is 5 GB +). I need help as to how i can install HighSierra. Please help!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Go to a cafe' or library or SOMEplace with free WiFi and download the installer... it sounds like what you downloaded is either incomplete or corrupted.

• Reply 2 of 6
    Why do you want to upgrade?  High Sierra had issues "right out of the gate", so to speak.  For myself, there is nothing I absolutely must have in High Sierra as of now.  Even with the "pending" OS 10.13.1 release, there are still issues.  Additionally, at least two of my critical apps (Tech Tool Pro, and the Logitech Control Center software for my Logitech mice do not have updates yet for High Sierra compatibility.  (I also have a MacBook Air, but it is a mid 2013 model.  However, I am contemplating getting a mid 2017 model on or near Black Friday).
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I've had no issues with 10.13 except for a single incompatible app (Pentair Screen Logic) ... but it's an ancient app, and I mostly use the iOS version anyhow.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I've had no issues with 10.13 except for a single incompatible app (Pentair Screen Logic) ... but it's an ancient app, and I mostly use the iOS version anyhow.
    I suspect there are a number of apps which will work "as is".  But, I have seen updates to 4 critical apps I use for High Sierra compatibility:  1Password, SuperDuper!, Onyx, and Office 2016.  As I mentioned, at least one of my remaining ones, Tech Tool Pro, is definitely critical.  I just hope that the remainder of my third party apps work with High Sierra.

Last year, Titanium Software (the developers of Onyx), did not have a version for Sierra available until about 3 weeks after OS 10.12 came out.  And Micromat (the developers of Tech Tool Pro) did not have a Sierra-compatible version available until mid November of 2017.  By that time, OS 10.12.1 had been released, an dit was then that I "upgraded" from El Capitan to Sierra.  But I did not do the upgrade "in place".
  • Reply 5 of 6
    By the way, here is a good site that shows which apps are compatible with various Operating Systems:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

Obviously, it gets updated from time to time, especially for High Sierra compatibility.

One "disturbing" entry for myself is for the excellent backup/cloning software SuperDuper!  There were some initial potential "issues" with V2.9.2, but it looks like they have it just about solved:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/index.php/comments/forward_into_the_past

Note that second link deals with the APFS business, although it also talks about the (hidden) Recovery HD partition created by the installation of the Mac OS.  I have never had much (if any) use for that partition, as 1) I can start my recovery process from a SuperDuper! bootable backup/clone, 2) besides Disk Utility on that backup/clone, I also use the excellent disk cleanup/maintenance/repair program Tech Tool Pro (along with Onyx), and 3) again, that (hidden) Recovery HD partition gets created on a clean installation of the Mac OS (which is the way I will go once a) High Sierra is more stabilized, and b) my apps (primarily Tech Tool Pro at this point) are fully compatible with High Sierra).

Interestingly, Carbon Copy Cloner seems to be "fully" compatible with High Sierra, but I have been using SuperDuper! for so long as to depend upon it.